Hey All,

I have a question on the stormcaller chanter CC build.  I am running one with one of my NPCs and have a quick question about it.  So I understand that the build isn't meant for damage and as a result I ran the build with high Int, Per, and Dex.  I am slightly up in the air for talents and was hoping to get some clarification on them.  

1)  Penetrating Shot - I am assuming this isn't worth it because it focuses on increasing damage at the cost of attack speed.  I'm guessing this means less stormcaller Chanter procs...so no good?

2)  Outlander's Frenzy - Does this stack with Sure-Handed Ila Nocked Her Arrows?

3)  Depending on the above answers, I was thinking the below talent spread.  Any recommendations?

Ancient Memory

Beloved Spirits

Brisk Recitation (More phrases = More paralyze? or is this not needed due to the 8s time on "Killers Froze Stiff"?)

WF Peasant

Marksman

Heart of the Storm?

Outlander's Frenzy?

Interrupting Blows? 

Thanks Everyone

Hi,

1) if you are not looking for damage then Penetrating Shot is not needed in any case. Stormcaller does -6 shock DR on hit and does shock damage. So you can totally do without Penetrating Shot.

2) Yes, they stack. Only for ranged weapons though, but I guess that's what you're only after anyway.

3) Brisk Recitation is a talent that you get automatically. You don't need to pick it at level up.

You can take any Weapon Focus. Stormcaller works with every one of them (because soulbound).

Heart of the Storm raises the damage of Stormcaller by 20% without drawbacks. Usually it is a no-brainer with Stormcaller.

If you want a CC build then Aspirant's Mark is good.

Outlander's Frenzy is ok. Even in the late game you can use it to bridge the time it takes to build up phrases for The Champion braved the Horde.

Interrupting Blows is kind of meh, but you could take it. Ever thought about Enigma's Charm? Free mind control 1/encounter is a strong CC effect. I would also recommend to buy Munacra Arret and Spirit Spiral (headgear & bracers) for another 6 charms per rest.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Ah ok, sorry about the confusion on the Brisk Recitation Part.  Anyways, I and building the NPC with the following;

10 might

8 Con

18 Dex

15 Per

19 Int

8 Con

Now for the race would wood elf be very beneficial?  I am assuming I am going to be in Mid range as I plan on being a CC/Summon bot with the stormcaller.  Would the wood elf be beneficial or would the micro of 4m away and still within range of chants to buff summons be too time consuming?  I'm guessing a ring of overseeing would help with this?

Also since I want to spam invocations, do I pretty much just run level 1/2 chants the whole game?

Thanks!

Justin

They 4m are fixed and don't get altered by anything. But 4m is not very far. Wood Elf is a solid choice. His accuracy bonus also works with enemies that are >= 4m away from you and get hit by invocations like Killers Froze Stiff. The cone of invocations does get influenced by Overseeing.

Yes, if you want to chain-paralyze enemies then lvl 1 phrases only would be best. But since Sure-handed Ila is very good you can also do that + a level 1 phrase like Wengrith. Note that crits will prolong the duration of Killers by 50%. It targets will defense which can be lowered a lot by weakening for example (Painful Interdiction...) and stuff like Miasma of Dull-Mindedness. Also buff the chanter's accuracy (Inspiring Radiance, Devotions...) to generate a lot of crits.

Note that invocations have recovery that stops chanting and is influenced by armor penalty. So if you want to dish out Killers faster you need light to no armor. Everything that lowers recovery helps (Gauntlets of Swift Action, Outlander's Frenzy...).

Edited by Boeroer

EDIT:  Nevermind I think I was confused.  You mean that accuracy bonus is fixed but chant radius are boosted by things like ring of overseeing and intelligence correct?

And sorry for posting from two different accounts...it seems like I have a different account for my phone and my computer, and I keep forgetting to change them.

Edited by Krowseph

Yes, overseeing influences chant radius, but also the size of invocations (usually cone shaped, so the length of the cone will get influenced).

The racial ability of Wood Elves named Distant Advantage is fixed.

Watch out: using multiple accounts is against the forum rules and can get you a warning strike. I personally don't mind, just saying. :)

Edited by Boeroer

So I got to thinking a little bit.  The idea of stacking attack speed and dex and utilizing the spell chance proc on the stormcaller as part of the "CC" aspect of the build seemed interesting.  Would this work with any of the other spell chance items?  Melee?  For instance, I know of the below items.

-Unlaboured Blade

-Grey Sleeper (Could be interesting?  Spellchance of paralyze, invoke vessel, and twin stones)

-Vent Pick

-Wodewys (Goes with the CC aspect of the build, -DR)

-Sabre of the Seas (Never used this)

What do you think?  Same attribute distribution (10,8,18,15,19,8) just focusing on debuffs and attack speed to get off as many spell chance procs as possible?