Confident Aim + Disciplined Barrage / Devoted + Soul Blade Questions

Do these ability stack? Will disciplined barrage + confident aim = +100% chance of grazes becoming hits? 

On my way Psyblade + Devoted/Soul Blade it seems like one viable strategy is to invest in fighter primarily (sprinkle in some Cypher talents) and focus mainly on doing damage to amass focus for soul annihilation. Is this wise or should I be investing in some critical cypher spells too?

Additionally, does resolve contribute to the damage on soul annihilation?

I maxed out perception to pair with the great sword modal but I was curious what accuracy floor should I being aiming for on classic? I would have 44 accuracy with devoted (when fixed) + psyblade + level 9 + Fine + warrior stance. And that would increase even more with disciplined barrage active at the start of combat. 

I'd go for a high pen weapon with devoted/soulblade.

However, Josh posted they'll nerf the dual damage type weapons in the release version, so greatsword damage output might not seem as attactive as it's now.

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

Do these ability stack? Will disciplined barrage + confident aim = +100% chance of grazes becoming hits? 

They should stack - but the chances don't get added. It's the same with hit-crit conversion from multiple sources. Once an attack roll is done the different abilites will get checked one after another to see if conversion happens. This leads to an overall chance that is not simply added, but the chances not to convert get multiplied (so to speak).

So instead of Confident Aim 0.5 + Disciplined Barrage 0.5 = 1 it's like:

0.5 (chance NOT to convert )* 0.5 (chance NOT to convert) = 0.25 chance NOT to convert. In other words: 75% chance to convert.

Same with Tactical Barrage 0.5 and the rogue's 0.1 conversion: 0.5 * 0.9 =  0.45 chance NOT to convert --> 55% chance to convert overall.

Or Tactical Barrage + Killers Froze Stiff: 0.5 * 0.5 = 0.25 --> 75% hit-to-crit conversion - not 100%.

You can also use this method to determine the proc-chance of weapons after several hits - when they say something like "10% chance to cast Glibberball on hit or crit". 

As one can see, every additional chance has less and less impact. The overall chance after x tries can never be 100%. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

They should stack - but the chances don't get added. It's the same with hit-crit conversion from multiple sources. Once an attack roll is done the different abilites will get checked one after another to see if conversion happens. This leads to an overall chance that is not simply added, but the chances not to convert get multiplied (so to speak).

So instead of Confident Aim 0.5 + Disciplined Barrage 0.5 = 1 it's like:

0.5 (chance NOT to convert )* 0.5 (chance NOT to convert) = 0.25 chance NOT to convert. In other words: 75% chance to convert.

Same with Tactical Barrage 0.5 and the rogue's 0.1 conversion: 0.5 * 0.9 =  0.45 chance NOT to convert --> 55% chance to convert overall.

Or Tactical Barrage + Killers Froze Stiff: 0.5 * 0.5 = 0.25 --> 75% hit-to-crit conversion - not 100%.

You can also use this method to determine the proc-chance of weapons after several hits - when they say something like "10% chance to cast Glibberball on hit or crit". 

As one can see, every additional chance has less and less impact. The overall chance after x tries can never be 100%. 

Interesting. But it still seems like it would be worth stacking or should I save that pick for something different? Also: What was your take on my devoted/soul blade? Is that viable or should I be supplementing it with some key cypher abilities? 

EDIT: Thanks for taking the time to answers these questions! I beat PoE a couple of times but always on classic so I am somewhat ignorant of mechanics. 

Edited by PatrioticChief

I would definitely stack all conversions. 75% is not 100%, but it's still great.

I would also use a Soulblade to only generate focus and dump it into Soul Annihilation. At the moment most other cipher powers are crap. Josh said they have buffed up the cipher powers tremendously, but those changes are not in the beta (yet). So the best thing is Soul Annihilation at the moment.

By the way: lashes also generate focus. So stuff like Flames of Devotion/Enduring Flames, Lightning Strikes or priests' summoned weapons generate a good amount of focus that then can be used for Soul Annihilation.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods