Looking to create a char for a later import in PoE2

Howdy folks, 

been eons since I've been here the last time. A lot of time has passed and, to my regret, I wasn't able to finish my last playthrough, due to family issues, although I was in chap3. I've tried loading the previous situation, but I just can't seem to remember the past events, so I prefer starting over again. I was an orlan fighter, and I must admit it was fun and pretty powerful. I'd like to stick with a melee character, but maybe something different...paladin maybe?

Well I just need some suggestions this time, as I'm pretty sure that while playing again, I will remember what I did before.

P.s. Melee class doesn't necessarily mean a fighting class. It simply means I want to stay ahead, but if you got some...let's say... melee mage... or similar concepts feel free to comment. 

Pps. I will be playing easy, no particular min-max needed/expected.

Thanks a bunch.

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

I had fun with this barbarian build concept although i didnt min max so i just put con and dex at 9 or 8. I also didnt follow the exact equipment and talents but ye fun upfront tank barbarian. For instance i used CC/debuff  instead of DPS oriented weapons to keep the theme of Barb Tank CC/debuff build. Actually works nice for CC/debuff with weapons, skills, and equipment that are oriented to CC/debuff. My favorite melee is ranger/wolf but that isnt for everyone used to flank skirmisher type play style. I also played an off tank berath priest pale elf (Pallid Knight) mace/shield build. I know others do the greatsword version for more dps instead of tanking support i did, i mean you can always switch between the two. This was fun roleplay because i played her as Judge Dredd all law no mercy type but dispassionate with the rational stoic dispositions of berath.  

Edited by draego

I didn't think of the barbarian when I wrote the post but thanks for reminding me! Well... you caught exactly the concept I had in mind... tank or at least off tank.. can you expand the concepts of the tablet and the priest?

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

I didn't think of the barbarian when I wrote the post but thanks for reminding me! Well... you caught exactly the concept I had in mind... tank or at least off tank.. can you expand the concepts of the tablet and the priest?

What is tablet?

Priest:

For me i dont like spell casters for MC so i tried hard to twist the berath priest into more melee oriented. I focused on spells that help my characters melee fighting or cc enemy to help fight. I tried not to use this priest as healing/prayer/support party members caster. That is also why i brought another priest or had other characters cast prayers to do the support role while i did more of the fighter or tank role. And berath has mace/greatsword so i like mace/shield but dual mace or greatsword for more dps focused would work. I also got inspiring radiance and aggrandizing radiance to help holy radiance benefit me fighting. Kinda a gimpy build but i dont like just straight backline casters for MC although priest has some big buff spells later on that make you hit very hard

Edited by draego
  • Like 1

Oh dear, it was ranger... phone corrector messed it up...

As for the priest.. what race and stats did you give him?

Oh dear, it was ranger... phone corrector messed it up...

As for the priest.. what race and stats did you give him?

Priest - Pale Elf - (this is my picture i am using. I didnt make just found but agh pales elvs dont have dark hair  :banghead: , besides that it works) 

M-15 C-10 D-10 P-14 I-14 R-15

This can be changed up alot though. So instead of Per do more Dex for faster casting. Instead of Res do more Int or Might. Priest have really good accuracy and deflection spells. Some of these choices were for role playing purposes but can be changed. 

Ranger - Hearth Orlan ( used stock photo) wolf for extra damage and pretend its my dog with me on the adventure :)

M-15 C-9 D-15 P-15 I-9 R-15

I focused on Animal melee talents/abilities like vicious, merciless, resilient, predetor's sense. For Raner - stalkers link (also stalkers torc amulet this is random look so loot at table to find its easy to miss) binding roots or take down for cc, Stunning shots (important because this works in melee and really make ranger shine later in game basically stun enemies on hit without needing that enchantment like prone on crit). Even stuff like defensive bond become useful for this build since your are always together with animal. Ranger i gave great sword because wounding is best ranger weapon enchantment and Tidefall is great sword. Can be done with dual wield with drawn in spring (although you find this weapon much later in game) but you can have two weapons worth of enchantments and faster attack and faster stuns (basically stun lock enemy with fast weapons). For dual wield i would drop dex and pump M/P/R. The way i played this ranger is by keeping my ranger and animal together and then picking off backline/weak or available targets by setting up a flanking position between my animal and ranger on either side of target so right off you get a flanked status on enemy which trigger merciless companion since it the animals sneak attack. Later on your animal will crit over 100 damage makes you look like a wimp. Then with stalkers link, stunning shots, binding roots, and predetors sense they drop like flies. :) I also generally hid at beginning of fight for a tick or hid behind enemies for a tic when fight starts so they dont auto targert you right off. Ive seen Boeroer do more of a tank version with shield. 

My concept for this build was deadfire slave looking for his people. So he really hates the ruling authorities here because of what he finds out about the wars and general racism but does good toward the glanfathans who he come to find out are his people. So i generally work against the interest of dyrwood but  for the interest of the glanfathan. So my spin on typical evil character since its a matter of perspective whether character is evil or not. I generally dont love straight good/evil stuff.

Edited by draego

I originally wanted to do a Berath's priest. Then gave up because I couldn't quite find a fun build.. maybe yours can be? Altough I like Durance quite a lot, I don't dislike the idea of a MC priest. The ranger looks a lot like my old character....except he's a ranger.. 

I think my choice will be between barbarian and priest... who gets the most out of the game "roleplaywise"?

Thanks a lot draego.

I originally wanted to do a Berath's priest. Then gave up because I couldn't quite find a fun build.. maybe yours can be? Altough I like Durance quite a lot, I don't dislike the idea of a MC priest. The ranger looks a lot like my old character....except he's a ranger.. 

I think my choice will be between barbarian and priest... who gets the most out of the game "roleplaywise"?

Thanks a lot draego.

Ye barb has good role playing stats also that is why i like the tank barb since i invest in P/I/R which helps with dialogue. Ye i feel you on the priest stuff like i said i dont like Spell casting MC either so that is why i say bring another priest so they can do the support heal stuff but you cant get away from spells completely. The barb was really fun since it was a melee character focused on debuffing enemies and not damage first. this is my image or image. Kinda a female viking warrior type. 

I am going to bring all 3 to deadfire but i have some special going to happen to priest. Dont know if you know the ending of game so i dont want to say.

For me my fav in terms of fun was 

1. Ranger

2. Barb

3. Priest - more for roleplaying choices and ending and not so much mechanics and fighting but not bad for caster

Edited by draego

So your priest had a very empowered holy radiance? 

That sounds about fun, because I wanted my priest to be able to deatroy vessels.. what about the spells though? You get 'em when you level up so... what do you do of 'em?

Barb seems fun, allright.. 

Waiting for some other input, maybe from other folks if anybody wants to give their 2 cents.. 

Edit:

Ranger seems fun alright, but I'd like to divert a bit from my original MC, so maybe changing race and weapons...

Edited by Slack83er

So your priest had a very empowered holy radiance? 

That sounds about fun, because I wanted my priest to be able to deatroy vessels.. what about the spells though? You get 'em when you level up so... what do you do of 'em?

Barb seems fun, allright.. 

Waiting for some other input, maybe from other folks if anybody wants to give their 2 cents.. 

Edit:

Ranger seems fun alright, but I'd like to divert a bit from my original MC, so maybe changing race and weapons...

Ye other weapons enchants good with ranger/animal melee coordinating, marking, vicious and disorienting. Lots of weapons you can use to take advantage of tag team. Holy radiance can still kill vessels by waiting to use until they are in range. Also there is souldbound greatsword St. Ydwen's Redeemer that plays into killing vessels. I generally cast way less spells than typical back line priest. So its hard to judge. I may cast on buff or cc at beginning of fight then go into fight for a while then maybe cast anther 'self' buff or cc. It is hard to balance and can slip into just casting spells so i feel your pain with it.

Edited by draego

Well... I don't want to become a caster... because I'm not good a casting while being MC...so ranger might also interest me because of trapfinding or the like. I never thought of playing melee ranger, I thought the majority of his abilities were for ranged.. Which animal did you take? 

Would a ranger be tanky?

I take wolf, they have higher base damage than other animals. Stag has carnage if you like that ability. One word about this build i like micro/positioning with this build. I know some people find this build boring/tedious but that is why i like it fyi.

It does seem like ranger abilities are ranged only but here is list of ranger talents/ abilities that 'work' in melee. some just work because they are general. I am listing all so you can see all the variety you can pick from

Talents

• Marked Prey
  • Wounding Shot
  • Predetor's Sense
  • Swift Aim - the +20% attack speed works. I general dont take but i know some do for melee because attack speed is king.
  • arrow sense
  • defensive bond
  • stalkers link
  • stunning shots
  • driving flight - sort of I think the stun effect transfers even in melee. I dont take this with melee so i didnt try but i think ive seen post about it. 
  • heal companion
  • takedown
  • binding roots
  • revive companion
  • masters call
  • vengeful grief
  • play dead

Abilities

• vicious companion
  • swift and steady - may consider taking if taking swift aim
  • accurate wounding shot
  • brutal takedown
  • thorny roots
  • faithful companion
  • resilient companion
  • merciless companion
  • strengthened bond 

The only talents abilities that dont work in melee are:

• vicious aim
  • swift aim - just the parts about reloading.
  • driving flight 
  • twinned arrows
  • powder burns

So you have lots of choices for a melee tank/dps or ranged build. They are sturdy enough. Rangers have high health/low endurance so even if they get hurt alot they can go further than say a priest or wizard who have low health and low endurance. if you play on easy then its no problem. I play on hard and i bet i could do this POTD. the +5 Res bring starting def to 25 which is good and right below fighter 30. There is superior defense if you need more. 

Also you can change the attributes around so say drop Perception to 9 and buff Con for more endurance/health. Rangers start with 30 acc so going down to 29 is no prob. The flanked debuff from tag teaming with animal companion alone drops enemy deflection 10 not to mention stuck or prone with other abilities. Also you can use abilities like snake reflexes to help make up for lower reflex in that case.

On harder fights i also hide for a sec longer then fight starts so the enemies can be distracted by more tanky characters then i go in to find their squishies or help tanks characters. 

Boeroer has a tank ranger that drops res low to get hit alot to proc Shod-in-Faith boots so the ranger and pet can stay healed. but it works because the health is high and can take lots of hits over the long term even though the endurance cant

Edited by draego

I'm not much of a micro fan... so you think I should go with barb? I tried playing ranger once, but it was.. well.. ranged. It worked but it was a bit dull..

I'm not much of a micro fan... so you think I should go with barb? I tried playing ranger once, but it was.. well.. ranged. It worked but it was a bit dull..

To get the most out of this ranger you have to move around alot to help stay alive and to get your optimal synergy's with animal unlike ranged ranger. Like a melee rogue but more sturdy and better in my a opinion. You can do more of tank ranger (although i dont min mix like boeroer). So very similar except you would do weapon and shield (and get the shield talent) and be more of front line off tank and not move all over the battle field but in that case i would use barb ye. I mean even with tank ranger that doesnt go all over you would still want your animal to move around to help position. but this is why i like the melee ranger the lack of active abilities to me is made up for by positioning/ movement/ micro in the since that you pause to figure out your next target and then to reposition either yourself or animal to get the optimal attacks going.

I dont like monks but you should check out boeroer's monk builds. He swears by them. So that would be another spin on melee. Get hit alot to dish out the punishment. 

Edited by draego

I played a fighter before.. just jump into battle once buffed and he was sturdy as hell. No special positioning required since he could withstand severe damage without even flinching. Would like to maintain this kinda attitude, but maybe add some active abilities.. something to do during combat... thus.. I dunno whether ranger or barbarian fit..

I played a fighter before.. just jump into battle once buffed and he was sturdy as hell. No special positioning required since he could withstand severe damage without even flinching. Would like to maintain this kinda attitude, but maybe add some active abilities.. something to do during combat... thus.. I dunno whether ranger or barbarian fit..

Barb are sturdy especially past the mid game (early game they are a little squishy but i still used my build as main tank) they have lots of health and neat debuffs. I mean the build is am using with barb is my main frontline tank. (get shield ability, superior deflection/ constitution and resolve gear).

Monks have interesting abilities and are also sturdy. Another concept maybe would be chanter but going for invocations and not high level chants. The chanter now has swift recitation so as the game goes on their chants finish faster and faster meaning you can cast your invocations faster and more often. They have decent def 25 to start and you can buff their con. So a melee chanter is viable and can be played like a fighter with abilities. Just stick with lower level chants to build up to cast invocations and they have some nice invocations. However on lower difficulties they dont shine as much because fights can be over before casting to much.

Cipher also has nice abilities with melee since you have to attack to get to abilities and there are some nice buff/debuff/cc to help you in melee fighting.

i mean the truth is you can turn any class into melee fighter basically. This is the fun of POE to play a little against class traditional type. Getting the right build can be tough i get it though.

Edited by draego

Yeah you're right.. also thought of the monk.. taking punishment in order to make more damage.. just need to tankify him .. is it doable?

In the deadfire beta paladins are pretty powerful at the moment.

I do especially like Paladin/Monk and also Paladin/Rogue as well as Paladin/Chanter.

Paladin/Chanter is difficult to emulate in PoE (the cross class summoning talent is very bad) - but Paladin/Monk (use Novice's Suffering and do Flames of Devotion with it) or Paladin/Rogue (Apprentice's Sneak Attack) are doable.

Now that I think of it, Paladin/Monk with Novice's Suffering + FoD combo could be quite interesting with PoE. Also because Aegis of Loayality needs unarmed attacks in Deadfire(!).

If you are interested I could work out an unarmed monkish paladin, using my experience from playthroughs with unarmed barbarian, unarmed wizard and unarmed druid.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

If you are interested I could work out an unarmed. monkish paladin, using my experience from playthroughs with unarmed barbarian, unarmed wizard and unarmed druid.

For the benefit of the whole community, please do! ;) I'm eager to play an "unconventional" MC.. the tankier, the better! ;)

Take your time, of course.. I appreciate your effort!

Well an unarmed paladin wouldn't be as tanky as one with a shield, but still tanky enough I guess.

But he will do better damage.

Maybe one could do a Kind Wayfarer - because he's so kind he uses only fists to strike down his opponents. ;)

Heal on FoD and on kill via Sword & Shepherd and Strange Mercy, Inspiring Triumph, Aegis of Loyalty... Behold the Martyr seems to be a must. ;)

A little Veteran's Recovery for balancing out the lower deflection because no shield...

What do you think?

Or a darker char like Bleak Walker with focus on max damage and fear?

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I like it! The first one, I'm not able to play evil MCs, I'm too good hearted ;)

What race better suits this MC? What abilities should he have? 

Looking forward to testing it!