How Does Assassinate Work?

Drum_Warrior

I've been trying out a Sharpshooter/Assassin but i don't think i'm getting the right bonus to damage from assassinate.

Assassinate says i should get +200% crit damage but it only says i'm getting +100% from assassinate.

I tried this with both ranged and melee.

Am i misunderstanding how this works? 

post-174678-0-48372800-1514466254_thumb.jpg

Completed with a Wild Orlan Wizard

wunmnk.jpg

Pretty sure it's only supposed to be +100%. May I ask where you're getting +200% from? It could be typo or some such

Yeah could be a typo. Here's a pic of the description:

15o8do6.jpg

Edited by Drum_Warrior

wunmnk.jpg

Pretty sure it's only supposed to be +100%. May I ask where you're getting +200% from? It could be typo or some such

15o8do6.jpg

The tooltip is confusing right now, +200 crit damage actually means +100 crit damage.

Ah, ok thanks!

So it means 200% crit damage, not +200% crit damage. I'd prefer it say +100%  :p

wunmnk.jpg

Crit damage usually is +25% in Deadfire (not +50% like in PoE1). So, something's not right with Assassinate: either description or implementation.

In the first iteration of the beta it didn't work at all with ranged weapons while it did with melee ones if I recall correctly. Maybe this fix now wasn't done properly.

You'd also want to add Backstab when using an assassin and maybe some dev got confused with all those dmg mods out of stealth...

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Crit damage usually is +25% in Deadfire (not +50% like in PoE1). So, something's not right with Assassinate: either description or implementation.

In the first iteration of the beta it didn't work at all with ranged weapons while it did with melee ones if I recall correctly. Maybe this fix now wasn't done properly.

You'd also want to add Backstab when using an assassin and maybe some dev got confused with all those dmg mods out of stealth...

Ranged weapon still not working for backstabbing now.

Backstabbing and sneak attack not working for attacks from invisible right now(both only work in the first 2 second of combat).

I just found something else that's interesting regarding assassinate...

You can use assassinate twice by using Smoke Veil but only if you're using melee weapons. I tried doing it with ranged weapons (excluding magical implements) and it would only apply assassinate from stealth, not with Smoke Veil.

To make sure it wasn't like backstabbing (first 2 seconds), i waited until the last possible moment to assassinate with melee weapons and it still applied the bonuses.

I'll make a post in the bugs section.

Edited by Drum_Warrior

wunmnk.jpg

You can use assassinate twice by using Smoke Veil but only if you're using melee weapons. I tried doing it with ranged weapons (excluding magical implements) and it would only apply assassinate from stealth, not with Smoke Veil.

To make sure it wasn't like backstabbing (first 2 seconds), i waited until the last possible moment to assassinate with melee weapons and it still applied the bonuses.

Auto attack will do more damage than Smoke veil + assassinate imo, because Smoke Veil has 2 second recovery time, the bonus u gain from assassinate does not compensate the lose of an attack. The only reason to use assassinate is its +4 penetration bonus now.

Auto attack will do more damage than Smoke veil + assassinate imo, because Smoke Veil has 2 second recovery time, the bonus u gain from assassinate does not compensate the lose of an attack. The only reason to use assassinate is its +4 penetration bonus now.

Is that still the case with an arquebus (long reload time)?

I basically wanted two massive hits and the arquebus has been the most reliable for me so far. I also want it for the extra accuracy for more crit chance (and by extension, even more penetration).

wunmnk.jpg

You can do some simple math here. So let's say a rogue dual wielding dagger. In the same time you do 2 auto attack, you can also do a Smoke Veil + Assassinate.

Assuming the basic damage is 10 (to make it simple), the daggers are of exceptional quality and you are doing sneak attack. The hit/miss rate is 50%:50%.

So for two auto attacks you did 10 * (1 + 0.5 + 0.3) * 2 * 0.5 = 18 damage.

For assassinate, you get +25 accuracy, 4 penetration and +100% crit damage. So the damage you get is 10 * (1 + 0.5 + 0.3) * 0.5 + 10 * (1 + 0.5 + 0.3 + 1.25) * 0.25 * 1.3(assume it's overpenetration) = 18.9 damage.

So you do 0.9 more damage to enemy with the combo, and only assassin got this bonus. The gain is too little now so I never bother use Smoke Veil except for life saving.

Another issue is, if your rogue and your teammate flanks the enemy, and the rogue uses Smoke Veil and turn invisible, the enemy will lose the Flanked debuff. You have to either put affliction on enemy first or use another member to flank the target if u want sneak attack bonus from invisible.

Edited by dunehunter
  • Like 1

15o8do6.jpg

The tooltip is confusing right now, +200 crit damage actually means +100 crit damage.

Ah, ok thanks!

So it means 200% crit damage, not +200% crit damage. I'd prefer it say +100%  :p

Agreed. As is it's not confusing so much as just wrong

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

You can do some simple math here. So let's say a rogue dual wielding dagger. In the same time you do 2 auto attack, you can also do a Smoke Veil + Assassinate.

Assuming the basic damage is 10 (to make it simple), the daggers are of exceptional quality and you are doing sneak attack. The hit/miss rate is 50%:50%.

So for two auto attacks you did 10 * (1 + 0.5 + 0.3) * 2 * 0.5 = 18 damage.

For assassinate, you get +25 accuracy, 4 penetration and +100% crit damage. So the damage you get is 10 * (1 + 0.5 + 0.3) * 0.5 + 10 * (1 + 0.5 + 0.3 + 1.25) * 0.25 * 1.3(assume it's overpenetration) = 18.9 damage.

So you do 0.9 more damage to enemy with the combo, and only assassin got this bonus. The gain is too little now so I never bother use Smoke Veil except for life saving.

Another issue is, if your rogue and your teammate flanks the enemy, and the rogue uses Smoke Veil and turn invisible, the enemy will lose the Flanked debuff. You have to either put affliction on enemy first or use another member to flank the target if u want sneak attack bonus from invisible.

Sorry, i didn't give the context of my character. My character is a Sharpshooter/Assassin who is intended to stay far away from the enemy.

I'm also assuming i'm fighting a boss (for example the Engwithan Titan). I'd have no need for a second assassinate on lesser enemies.

Tactics:

Before using Smoke Veil i'd wait for my gun to be reloaded.

Use Aimed Shot (+20 Acc.), Accurate Wounding Shot (+20 Acc.), having Marksman (+5 Acc.), Assassinate and Sneak Attack (from teammates).

That's +75 accuracy, +11 penetration (4 assassinate, 7 crit) and +150% damage. That's a HUGE difference from an auto attack with a slow weapon.

An auto attack will most likely graze or hit for ok damage which will be x0.25 from bad penetration = not much damage.

I've tested these and the results are:

With assassinate and others as above (from stealth because of bugged Smoke Veil): Around 100 damage

With auto-attack (aimed shot, marksman and flanked only): around 8 damage

If i wasn't playing this particular character then your way is better for sure!

wunmnk.jpg