Promotional idea

I was thinking, recently, about promotions.

You know, gamers are geeks. Sure, some aren't geeks. Some are nerds, goofs, or dweebs, that's true. Me? I'm a geek. Now, being a geek, I know something about geeks. That's why I've decided to share my insight. Oh, I know.... someone will say this isn't feasible. Some will say that things of this sort have been tried in the past. Fine. Just hear me out and then decide.

Okay, you guys are in Irvine, right? That's not such a bad location for selling the sequel for a best selling xbox title. In fact, a lot of your fans live in the area. Now, you guys could put something in the game for a collector's edition package, and that would be all well and good. Include the usual collectors' odds and ends in your collector's edition. I pre-order collector's editions when I think I'm going to really love the title. I've been happy with the product every time I've ordered a collector's edition.

The thing is, don't just have a collector's edition. Have a "release party" sale. What's that? Well, you don't sell the game. You sell tickets to a release party. The game is part of the sale's price. Only accept credit cards for purchase. That gives you a way to back out if the plan doesn't work. NO charge on the card means no refunds. Most folks will use email, so backing out won't be a huge deal. However, it could actually sell very well. When sales for the "release party" tickets (including a t-shirt and the usual collector's stuff) hits critical mass, you secure a location for the event. Make it some place with a bar for the older crowd, but respectable enough that moms and dads won't have a problem with their teenage kid driving there. (geeks are suckers, trust me) Most of the gaming geeks who will attend will be in their late twenties. There will be a sizeable number of us thirty somethings. Hey, I'm confident that we'll get folks forties and older.

Sure, the reality is a bunch of you will have to draw straws to see who has to babysit the sweaty geeks, but it will be worth it. Have some folks there to sign the inevitable poster you'll include. Make sure the folks who go will be patient enough to answer questions. Include the chance to win door prizes and just reflect that price in the ticket. What the hell, you can wrap up a ton of promotional stuff in one thing. Give a free ticket to the party to print and electronic media and you've got free coverage. ...And that can only augment the coverage you'll get just for the name on the title of the game.

Here's the last bit, to entice folks who might balk at the added price of the "release party" ticket, just put on the advertisement that you'll have exclusive information about your latest upcoming title at the party. Then include some tid-bits that will satisfy the more rational geeks.

Okay, if someone has already thought of this, then I apologize. I would cite them if I'd heard of it. There are "release parties," but one set up this way sounds cool. If it's been done the way I describe, though, it's only a sign that it can be done the way I've described. If it hasn't been done, then you can pioneer the idea. Having set up training seminars in the past, I know the logistics aren't that tough. It's just a matter of getting your HR department to get on the task.

Oh, and I'd buy a ticket. You can't cheat me if I know what I'm buying when I buy it. Say the normal price of the game is $50 in this area, just make it $65.

*Eldar steps down from the podium and puts a large target on his back.*

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Surlent

Eldar, ever hear of E3 ? :rolleyes:

Anyway guess renting a place for one day wouldn't cost much and the promotion

material like posters and stuff could be re-used from E3.

But with alcohol things might turn ugly.

Just think what Fallout 3 release party would have been with drunken Fallout fans... :blink:

I see E3 as quite different. First of all, E3 is an industry wide event where whatever attention the company receives is diluted by the sheer number of events and parties. Second of all, the major component is to sell tickets to the event which the participants will then turn in for the actual game itself. It will be a way for Obsidian to make extra money and, one would assume, the fans would be happy to pay.

I know very well about the Fallout parties, but this idea entails something rather different. So, if it's been done before, and in some ways it has, then that just reinforces my point that it's a viable option for the company. I'm just trying to suggest a way of doing something that has been done but in a way that might be an additional money maker. If the fans like it, then they'll pay. If not, then they won't. It's really as simple as that.

As for alcohol... *shrug*. If it's a big concern, then don't serve it.

Suggesting that my idea is somehow a rip off of E3 is just ridiculous.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Guest Surlent

It's not a rip off... though I have read stories* of drunks in E3 .

(*stories from BIS ppl themselves in IP forums)

In E3 they are insiders (developers, press or some way in the industry) and it's

official conferess so things might not get that wild afterall.

But as part of marketing strategy and a mean to increase sales, your point

sounds worth considering.

It's just the idea of a croud of (sober or not) fans drooling over just published game.

"The baby sitter" from Obsidian there might be in need of a drink so a bar might

not be a bad thought at all. :rolleyes:

Oh, I see what you were saying now. Yes, you have to be careful with alcohol, definitely. It's a shame, but it's true. Dammit, reality rears its ugly head! B)

Obsidian Plays

So.. What do you think the price of the collector's edition of the game would be if they were to hire the crew from Hooters to dress up in Princess Leia-suits to serve drinks all night?

I'd swim there from Sweden to attend if that was the case.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

So.. What do you think the price of the collector's edition of the game would be if they were to hire the crew from Hooters to dress up in Princess Leia-suits to serve drinks all night?

I'd swim there from Sweden to attend if that was the case.

Comedy. I don't know if my wife would let me go in that case. Honey, I'm going to hooters to buy a video game... do you mind?

Obsidian Plays

I can always claim that I suffered from heat stroke the one year I attended the e3. Sure, I may have seemed drunk, but it had nothing to do with the drinking....er..

B)

Actually, scantily clad ladies pimping games is standard practice at the e3. Oh yes, and it's really really really loud.

Companies tend to want to be the loudest, heh. As a result, one is often unable to talk with the people next to them. :(

In the year I attended, NWN was still to be published by Interplay, and BIS staffers showed Aurora.