Unable to use Sihedron Medallion

FreezyPop

Question

I was using Seoni and was in combat against a Grazuul, on the Wooden Bridge location, Sandpoint Under Siege scenario, normal difficulty.

I rolled my combat and only got an 11, and the check was 16. I had the Sihedron Medallion in my hand, but couldn't use it. It had a lock on it. So I had to discard 5 cards total, and couldn't discard the Medallion to reduce damage by 4.

Is this a bug? Or am I missing a rule somewhere?

3 answers to this question

Is this a bug? Or am I missing a rule somewhere?

Do you recall if you happened to use any items during the combat check?

There is a rule that you are only allowed to used one card per type per "step" in the game.  For the purpose of encountering banes, the step doesn't "reset" until you are done with that check's damage phase.

If Seoni played any item card on the combat roll, when it came time to sort out damage she'd be unable to use a second item's powers to reduce damage.

I don't think I've heard of any specific bugs with the Medallion.  More often than not, issues with "why can't I reduce damage?" are related to the one-card-per-step rule, or cards just being unable to reduce certain damage types (like Fire or Mental).

Ahhhh. That's the issue. I did use a wand of fire for my attack. I'm used to play the actual card game. And man, was there ever rules I didn't understand then. There wasn't anything written what was the actual steps, or phases, or if the damage step was different or part of the same thing. I also learned you couldn't use like Cure during the damage step or whatever. Is there somewhere the full rules are written, so I could read them?

An up-to-date version of the Rise of the Runelords rules can be found here.  (On the Pathfinder Steam store page it is linked as the "Quick Reference".  Hah!   :p )

If you flip all the way to the last page, it gives a quick turn overview and lists the different steps that happen when you are encountering a card.  It further breaks down the Attempting a Check step to show that it starts with "Huh, which dice should I use?" and ends when you resolve damage (if applicable).

Edit: spellin'

Edited by Ethics Gradient
  • Like 2