Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is there a problem using 6 sided dice in pen and paper games?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

injurai

injurai

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1998 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

D4s seem just like a way to help sell dice sets. Just toss them in a river and pair up numbers on your D8s.

gz33

gz33

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Steam:gz33
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

In a way I wish I could get rid of d10s in my games. Just the inconsistency they create by being the only standard die that isn't a platonic solid slightly irks me. But the utility of being able to be use them for percent rolls means they're not easy to dispense with.

• Azdeus likes this

BullMoose2001

BullMoose2001

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts

Required die needs for good PnP are d4, d6, d8, d10 and d20. For stat checks, weapon dam etc. D100 can be easily done with 2 d10 rolls. Therefor nothing above d20 is needed. These dice were needed for DnD type gaming. However most modern games work strictly off of percentage chance and would only require a d10. The d20 was mainly used for THACO rolls to determine hits, critical hits and critical misses. To hit armor class zero. If you play games using DnD rules like Baldur's Gate you will immediately see the necessity and use of the d20 die rolls. 

​PnP requires a lot of imagination and good bonds to reach fullest enjoyment and avoid fights. The most important position is DM or coordinator as the DM's primary goal is to keep it enjoyable for all players. Most people make bad DM's as they take things personally and/or compete against the players. Me vs. them. All players have to do is respond to given stimuli.  The  DM supplies that stimuli and shapes it as it progresses in a fair enjoyable environment. DM'ing requires a lot of preparation and work and level headedness. Leave your ego at the door alpha personality. I believe 9 out of 10 people are incapable of good DM'ing  no matter how much they want to do it. Remember, as DM you are responsible for keeping it enjoyable for all players. Not just yourself.

redneckdevil

redneckdevil

Psycho Hillbilly of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Most games I've noticed use a d20 instead of a d6 is mainly bc for most rolls u will only use 1 d20 while d6 usually is alot of dice with 1-5-6 being miss/hits. The amount of d6 can get to crazy amounts.

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2425 posts

D6 is much more popular than you'd believe.  Fate, FUDGE, Traveller, Burning Wheel/Mouse Guard and a host of other systems use D6's exclusively. They usually overcome the statistical limitations of D6 by introducing some other concept to expand the number of possible results. 

Percentile systems naturally use the D100 combo, some use pools of D10's (WoD), some use exclusively D20. A small group of games use custom dice (usually D6 though) and a few are entirely diceless.

It's only DnD that pushes the entire set, and even that is a remnant of the past (there are many ways of solving damage, and practically anything else without dedicated dice and the added complexity). However, since the game is huge relative to all other RPG systems, it paints the whole hobby in its image - as is the case here.

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5101 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

D4s seem just like a way to help sell dice sets. Just toss them in a river and pair up numbers on your D8s.

D4s are for DMs to make a quick escape after a TPK.  Toss a bunch of D4s on the ground so they act as caltrops on the other players while making an escape.

• Azdeus and injurai like this

Deadly_Nightshade

Deadly_Nightshade

Vampire

• Members
  • 5133 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Fate, FUDGE

I'm not sure I'd really count a FUDGE and Fate as d6 systems, you can a use regular d6 with them in a pinch but they're designed to be used with custom dice.

GetMagnaCarter

GetMagnaCarter

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts

dungeons and dragons was designed to use 20-sided dice and 2 10-sided dice for percentages (in addition to regular 6-sided dice)

but at the time they could only be bought in sets with 4-sided dice, 8 sided-dice and 12-sided dice

so, in order to justify players buying the whole set and not ending up with useless dice, Dave Arneson created rules using all the different varieties of dice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users