US Election 2016, part III

Pidesco

The question before us now is how to construct a response to mitigate damage to our democratic institutions.

I have a good suggestion:

Stop doing shady crap you want to keep secret so that wikileaks becomes pointless.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SandersForPresident/comments/4umz96/we_are_closing_rsandersforpresident/

Stuff like that is amazing to me. Like this attitude...what will it accomplish?

The fact of the matter is that look, even if you give Bernie every benefit of the doubt and wish to respect his wishes and follow through with Hillary, we have actual evidence that multiple bodies within the DNC and the Clinton campaign have little to no respect for the American people and for voters that go against their wishes. Closing a subreddit that allows for discussion against Bernie's wishes does not calm people or make the situation improve, it just agitates them even more, especially since yes, there HAS been evidence of censorship in other corners of the internet, so even if you're sincere that the goal is not censorship, again good luck getting people to believe you.

Seems like typical OTT stuff for that subreddit.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've made plain my disdain for the Democrat Party and what they stand for. But what is happening to it now is truly heartbreaking. With the exception of the 1960's (not a good time for the US in general) the Democratic Party was the champion of the Jacksonian Democracy philosophy. Some President's less so (Carter & Obama) some more so (Clinton & Johnson). But it is far, far removed from that now. And that is a terrible thing. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The question before us now is how to construct a response to mitigate damage to our democratic institutions.

Stop doing shady crap you want to keep secret so that wikileaks becomes pointless.

So you happy that Wikileaks becomes the selective arbiter of personal and confidential emails, Diplomatic cables and anything else relevant to the USA that the rest of the world is not suppose to see?

For me the real  issue is the hacking and the external foreign  powers trying to get involved in the US elections....surly this is much  more of concern than the support members of the DNC had for  Hilary Clinton?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

So you happy that Wikileaks becomes the selective arbiter of personal and confidential emails, Diplomatic cables and anything else relevant to the USA that the rest of the world is not suppose to see?

For me the real  issue is the hacking and the external foreign  powers trying to get involved in the US elections....surly this is much  more of concern than the support members of the DNC had for  Hilary Clinton?

It doesn't bother you at all that this has exposed a genuine corruption at the very heart of one of only two principle parties in the US? It doesn't bother you to learn they are deliberately subverting one of the most important institutions of Republican or Parliamentary Democracy: free and fair elections. And worst that they are colluding with major media outlets to do it? 

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It doesn't bother you at all that this has exposed a genuine corruption at the very heart of one of only two principle parties in the US? It doesn't bother you to learn they are deliberately subverting one of the most important institutions of Republican or Parliamentary Democracy: free and fair elections. And worst that they are colluding with major media outlets to do it? 

I dont believe the reality is as bad as you say, I think most of what you guys are saying is hyperbole and more an emotional reaction or is intentionally biased like what people who are anti-Western on this forum would say. So always  remember GD  there are people on this forum who want the USA to fail 

But for  example, how exactly are media houses implicated in this scandal? I dont mean the normal  anti-CNN  rhetoric, I mean the actual evidence that CNN did something illegal or subversive towards the US elections ?

And please dont tell me you using Wikileaks as your source  :p

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Bruce, I like you. But there is thing thing you do that just annoys the absolute HELL out of me. And you just did it now. It's the notion you put forward that if someone is taking a position contrary to yours then either 1) They don't understand the facts, concept, what you are saying.  2) They are reacting from emotion, bias, lack of intellectual sophistication, etc.

I realize you are a man than enjoys a good debate and believe me so do I. But a good debate does not follow when your opening statement is a polite admonition that the opposing viewpoint is rooted in stupidity. Even in the rare occasions that it actually is. 

As far as the illegality of the media acting in concert with the DNC to destroy a candidate... it's not illegal. It is dishonest. The NPR came close when they ran a story that Bernie Sanders had dual citizenship with Israel ( a country he had never even visited at that time). And by the way, nothing Wikileaks has released has been denied. As Namutree pointed out. Had the DNC just fulfilled it's function and not taken a hand there would have been nothing to release.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell