I am looking for some general PotD advice and tips. I imagine you need a lot of CC due to more enemies and higher defenses. I don't like playing with more than two casting classes (Wiz / Druid / Cipher / Priest) even though I'm sure it's optimal if you have the patience for it. Let me know your thoughts.

Also, is it generally accepted that the best way to play the game is to finish WM1-2 as early as possible due to all of the great gear you get there? My first playthrough I did it last and still got many upgrades.

I am looking for some general PotD advice and tips. I imagine you need a lot of CC due to more enemies and higher defenses. I don't like playing with more than two casting classes (Wiz / Druid / Cipher / Priest) even though I'm sure it's optimal if you have the patience for it. Let me know your thoughts.

Also, is it generally accepted that the best way to play the game is to finish WM1-2 as early as possible due to all of the great gear you get there? My first playthrough I did it last and still got many upgrades.

There are some things you have to skip before you can attend them (Bear in the Valewood Cave, Temple of Eothas - those Shades/Shadow are just crazy). In general you should get to Defiance Bay as quick as possible and follow every possible quest in there. Thats should get you enough levels and gear to be able to handle other parts. I'd say that until you reach level 8-10 WM I and II I would not go there. I found that the hardest part are all those ghosts in Caed Nua main hall.

• Like 1

Nope. I would do the the main game, except for chapter 4 (point of no return) and then do WM 1 + 2 + Bounties + Endless Paths. If you play a ranger, you should get the stormcaller bow from WM 1, after you have done the quests in Defiance bay (except for dyrford) (if i remember correctly, i got the bow at level 8 ).

If you play a range rogue, you can get persistence from Endless Paths Level 4. I think it is the best hunting bow besides the stormcaller, but rouge's can not soulbound stormcaller.

I would play MC: Paladin SB of St. Elc, Paladin, Priest, Druid, Ranger and Rogue or Paladin / Monk or Paladin / Druid / Druid / Priest / Ranger.

You should level up solo up to 4 (it is definitly possible) before Caed Nua and get your 5 level 3 companions at the inn (you need 3750 gold for it).

Edited by baldurs_gate_2

Where to go first - it depends. On the items you want to use early, on the level you have, if you like a challenge or if you like to steamroll everything. 

I personally do the first levels of the Endless Paths (until I get Persistence) and quests in Defiance Bay until I reach level 6 to 9 (depends on the party, 9 tends to be too easy most of the time), then I start the White March - because you get so many new quests which will level you up even more quickly and there's also some nice gear waiting for me that I use a lot (Bittercut sabre, Stormcaller bow, Ring of Changing Heart, Cape of the Master Mystic, Wayfarer's Hide and so on). And then I just go here and there as I like. Before doing WMII I normally start Act IV in order to buy some other neat items in the shop tent in Twin Elms and to fetch Blood Testment gloves or Purgatory.

I would never skip the Endless Paths until the late game because then it's way too easy. A rule of thumb is that if your level matches the level of the Endless Paths you're on then you're good. I think The Paths are not meant to be explored in one single rush.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

That's why it's a rule of thumb. I have thick thumbs. ;)

The first five levels of the Endless Paths are a bit weird because you would normally jump into the pit and then ascend back. The difficulty of those levels is a bit reversed. And also it's very unlikely that you reach the ogres when you're lvl 3. After Maerwald and stuff you will be of higher level most of the time.

• Like 1

Personally, I've found the ogres on the path to the floor 4 stairwell easy enough to kite using Aru-Brekr. Once you reach floor 4, the kiting becomes so much easier with Persistence on the matron when you return.

Other than that, I fully endorse Boeroer's route through the game. Going PotD solo currently, I'm coincidentally doing the same path already.

Another approach is instead of going for massive CC to lock down all the enemies in order to protect the squishier classes, is to build a much more durable team that can survive in melee for a long time and grind up the enemy. A team that has 1-2 Paladins (Pellaginna does fine, possible MC Pally), 1-2 Chanters (Kana does fine, possible MC Chanter), 1-2 Monks (Zahua and MC Juggernaut or Witchdoctor), Barbarian or Rogue and a Ranger or Cipher. Basically a frontline of at least four with no more than two ranged guys. Since there are not any casters you can roll until you need to rest for health and with four front liners you can hold the injured back a bit and let the others carry the injury load more evenly.

Get the Chanter Regen chants, some good DR, the Zealous Endurance aura (hit to graze helps a lot when you have high regen). A reach or ranged weapon on switch is also good in case the field is constricted.

You can use a Vancian caster in one of the ranged slots as well, just try to conserve spells so that he is not controlling the rest intervals.

Another approach is instead of going for massive CC to lock down all the enemies in order to protect the squishier classes, is to build a much more durable team that can survive in melee for a long time and grind up the enemy. A team that has 1-2 Paladins (Pellaginna does fine, possible MC Pally), 1-2 Chanters (Kana does fine, possible MC Chanter), 1-2 Monks (Zahua and MC Juggernaut or Witchdoctor), Barbarian or Rogue and a Ranger or Cipher. Basically a frontline of at least four with no more than two ranged guys. Since there are not any casters you can roll until you need to rest for health and with four front liners you can hold the injured back a bit and let the others carry the injury load more evenly.

Get the Chanter Regen chants, some good DR, the Zealous Endurance aura (hit to graze helps a lot when you have high regen). A reach or ranged weapon on switch is also good in case the field is constricted.

You can use a Vancian caster in one of the ranged slots as well, just try to conserve spells so that he is not controlling the rest intervals.

Yeah I just started the following party, mainly just because I didn't play these classes with my first playthrough. 

• Chanter - Tank / Summon / Support
  • Druid - Tank / Support
  • Priest - Tank / Support
  • Monk - Hybrid Tank / DPS
  • Paladin - Ranged Gunner DPS (trying this out, 3-4 gun switching, not sure how it will work out)
  • Ranger - Ranged DPS (Stormcaller + 2 gun switches)

I'm hoping this will work, it's much more durable with 5 melee including the animal companion + 2 ranged DPS. Lots of support and durability but not too much micro.

I my experience a more sturdy party is more easy to play compared to a tank + glasscannon party - if you don't want to use chokepoints throughout the whole game. Less defeats and reloads, less resting. Casters for example don't lose much damage potential if you build them tanky, whereas a fighter supertank does like zero damage. So I like to mix sturdy melee guys which can either do good damage (dragon thrashed chanter, paladin with quickswitch and guns and sword&board, DPS fighter, tanky barb, rogue with shield, monk) or which can give support (marking paladin, summoning chanter) with sturdy casters (which can also be frontliners). One or two glass cannons can be fun though and seldomly get swarmed. Like a 3 CON 3 RES bow ranger or something.

Yeah I just started the following party, mainly just because I didn't play these classes with my first playthrough. 

• Druid - Tank / Support
  • Paladin - Ranged Gunner DPS (trying this out, 3-4 gun switching, not sure how it will work out)

I'm hoping this will work, it's much more durable with 5 melee including the animal companion + 2 ranged DPS. Lots of support and durability but not too much micro.

They will be often in the way in narrow passages. Normally 2 tanks + pet are more than enough to block the way to your range heroes. And a paladin as range dps? I don't know if that works well. You should rather play a range rogue instead, dishes out good damage.

A ranged paladin dps can be good if he also uses a marking weapon and coordinated attacks as well as on-kill-effects (search the forum for Forward Observer, Darcozzi Commendatore and Damaging Healbot). He's a great supporter then and can buff a friend's ACC by +20 just by targeting the same enemy. On kill he can heal and raise defenses passively. It can be a really nice thing. But of course the rogue would do a lot more damage. He's not as flexible though.

If you only want a lot of damage and don't care for support and now think "Hell, why did I chose a dps ranged paladin" then I'd recomend a blaster wizard instead of a rogue. A rogue is better at the beginning and better against single targets - but the wizard can use on-hit and on-crit effects with blast's AoE and also can deliver powerful spells. After some levels he will be more useful than a ranged rogue in most encounters. But that's just my opinion. Ranged rogues can be fun, too. A shot from an arquebus on Deathblows can be very satisfying. ;)

Edited by Boeroer

• Druid - Tank / Support

They will be often in the way in narrow passages. Normally 2 tanks + pet are more than enough to block the way to your range heroes. And a paladin as range dps? I don't know if that works well. You should rather play a range rogue instead, dishes out good damage.

It's not nearly as bad as one would think. For the past few playthroughs, I have been using melee parties and I generally don't find narrow corridors being too much of a problem. I personally prefer melee rather than range combat and all of my chars have decent survivability to at least handle a single engagement. You can usually lead fights into more spacious locations.

Also weapon swap to reach weapons (or ranged weapons in your case).

Edited by mosspit