1. What is this "favored card type" the game asks me to choose every time I start a quest with him? Does this make certain I start with a card of that type in my opening hand? Is there a downside to it? In some posts about the physical version it was mentioned something about having a large portion of your deck discarded, but I didn't find an explanation.

2. What is your advice for the first card feat? Should I go for a second weapon or another spell?

3. Since he can search the discard pile for a cure, do you run 2 cures in his deck, or is 1 enough?

4. For the upgrade, I went with Improved Bardic Performance, but now I think Weapon Proficiency would probably be better. Should I go for it next time I get a power feat?

Edited by Narkon27

I found in boardgamegeek a suggested deck (not starting deck) for Lem. Looks very interesting and getting multiple uses out of Spyglass is something I didn't consider before.

Any thoughts about this deck, and what would you change? I was surprised by the lack of offensive spells, but this makes Lem a super scout.

Weapon: Deathbane Light Crossbow + (as favored card)
Spells: Cure, Augury, Aid, Detect Magic
Items: Spyglass, Thieves Tools
Allies: Shalelu, Sage, Troubadour
Blessings: Calistria (Dex Non-Combat), Erastil (Dex Combat), Shelyn (Wis Non-Combat, Pharasma (Spell), Irori (Int Non-Combat)

Edited by Narkon27

I found in boardgamegeek a suggested deck (not starting deck) for Lem. Looks very interesting and getting multiple uses out of Spyglass is something I didn't consider before.

Any thoughts about this deck, and what would you change? I was surprised by the lack of offensive spells, but this makes Lem a super scout.

Blessings: Calistria (Dex Non-Combat), Erastil (Dex Combat), Shelyn (Wis Non-Combat, Pharasma (Spell), Irori (Int Non-Combat)

This is a pretty good deck.

In my opnion:

Lem's a pretty good support character. He does suck a bit at combat though. Rather than trying to turn him into a combat spellcaster - go heavy on Dexterity (at least the first 2 skill feats) and get him the best crossbow you have. Xbows don't require proficiency, so don't waste your Power feat on that.

You'll be pressed (by end of AD3) into taking the Armor Proficiency. It's another matter if you'll decide to take an Armor card feat as well. If you think you'll do - get it at the end of AD2 and get the Loot armor (Snakeskin Tunic) - it adds +1 to Detexterity, which is what you'll use for combat. If you decide against Armor card feat - you can at least 'borrow' armors from you warriors without worrying you'll have to banish them (Light Armors only!)

Don't get a second weapon feat! Until late game, Deathbane +1 is the best weapon you can get and you want to make sure you always start with it - getting a second weapon will dilute that chance to 50/50. (You guessed correctly: "favorite type" guarantees you start with a card of that type. There are no drawbacks, and there is no reason why you would ever chose something other than a weapon)

I run with 1 Cure and never recharge it. If you recharge it - it goes on the bottom of you're deck. If you don't - any spell you get (from your deck or from location) is an emergency cure waiting to happen (you just swap it for the Cure in your discard at start of turn). This is one of the strongest abilities in the whole game.

For card feats: with the exception of the above argument for Armor, it all depends on you party size and composition. Allies, Items, Spells or Blessings are all good choices, but if you run a party of 6 - you'll probably need all the extra explores granted by Allies and Blessings

Good luck.

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

I aboslutely give him combat spells.  If he gets a decent ranged weapon (DBLC+1 is still my fave), then that makes a good fallback (or go-to for undead).

But, in order:

1.  Yes, that's correct.  Everyone has a Favored Card Type, and they re-draw their opening hands until they get a card of that type.  Lem is one of the few who can CHOOSE.

2.  I took a spell.  I've found that if I choose Weapon as his Favored Card Type every time, I always have it in hand.  More spells gives him a better chance to have a spell in HAND, so he'll be able to pick a spell out of his discard pile if needed.

3.  I start him with 2 cures, but when I start finding good spells (Augury, etc) I swap one of them out.

4.  Depends on how you've armed him.  The Deathbane Light Crossbow (+1!) doesn't NEED proficiency, and it's a solid choice for a few Adventures.  However, it gives him the chance to pull a one-time Harsk-like fire support if he has it.  It also makes him a touch more versitile with weapons he acquires in play.  If I've found myself stalled due to Weapon Proficiency more than I've found myself using Bard Song and having folks miss checks by one, I go with Proficiency.  Otherwise, I do the opposite.

"I need a lie-down" is the new "I'll be in my bunk..."

I aboslutely give him combat spells.  If he gets a decent ranged weapon (DBLC+1 is still my fave), then that makes a good fallback (or go-to for undead).

But, in order:

1.  Yes, that's correct.  Everyone has a Favored Card Type, and they re-draw their opening hands until they get a card of that type.  Lem is one of the few who can CHOOSE.

2.  I took a spell.  I've found that if I choose Weapon as his Favored Card Type every time, I always have it in hand.  More spells gives him a better chance to have a spell in HAND, so he'll be able to pick a spell out of his discard pile if needed.

3.  I start him with 2 cures, but when I start finding good spells (Augury, etc) I swap one of them out.

4.  Depends on how you've armed him.  The Deathbane Light Crossbow (+1!) doesn't NEED proficiency, and it's a solid choice for a few Adventures.  However, it gives him the chance to pull a one-time Harsk-like fire support if he has it.  It also makes him a touch more versitile with weapons he acquires in play.  If I've found myself stalled due to Weapon Proficiency more than I've found myself using Bard Song and having folks miss checks by one, I go with Proficiency.  Otherwise, I do the opposite.

I have only 1 adventure running so far (Meri, Kyra, Valeros) because I wanted to see how each character works in quests. This way, hopefully, I will avoid mistakes in upgrading when I finally start doing adventures. With Adv3 out, I think I will start a new group with Valeros, Merisiel, Ezren and the final spot will be either Lini or Lem. Until a few days ago I was certain the fourth one would be Lini but now I don't know.

1. All this time playing the game I thought that the "Favored Card Type: X" I see on the card list screen was just flavor for the character and had no effect on the game.

This answer made see the light for the first time. :)

2. I was thinking I should go for an item and give give him a Spyglass, an Amulet of Life and Thieves' Tools, but I think I will go for a Spell as well because it will give him more options.

3. He has found none so far, but I think I will pair him once with Lini so she can pass him one, which he will keep in his deck.

So far I haven't used much his Bardic Performance because I tend to split the characters so they cover the max number of locations, but I will start grouping more Lini with Lem and see how good it is.

For card feats: with the exception of the above argument for Armor, it all depends on you party size and composition. Allies, Items, Spells or Blessings are all good choices, but if you run a party of 6 - you'll probably need all the extra explores granted by Allies and Blessings

Good luck.

Not trying again a 6-team play thought any time soon. I tried playing a couple of quests and it was a nightmare. For a 4-team play I think I will go for the extra spell.