Ryona's Vambraces and Penetrating Shot do not apply to Blast? Also Llengrath's blunting wisdom bug

Livegood118

Question

Hi – sorry I'm not in a position to send a save file but I was experimenting with a couple of Wizard builds yesterday evening I noticed the following two things when experimenting:

1. Penetrating Shot and the -DR portion from Ryona's Vambraces do not apply to "Blasts" triggered by the Wizard Blast talent. DR reduction observed was -10 when it should have been -18. This was with a build using Blast, Penetrating Blast, Weapon Focus, Interrupting Blows, Dangerous Implements, Penetrating Shot, Apprentice Sneak. Only the -10DR from the two blast talents themselves seemed to apply. The bonus from sacrificing the Devil of Caroc and Vulnerable attack might be something to test also.

2. Llengrath's Blunting Wisdom is bugged to hell and damage and accuracy increased with every shot. By the time I'd let off about 8-9 shots my accuracy was at a permanent 244 and the Superb +% bonus was in the thousands. When hovering over the accuracy thing in the character sheet it seemed as if my character's weapon focus was applying multiple times.

I can provide my save file if these bugs can't be replicated by anyone else.

Edited by Livegood118

5 answers to this question

Just bumping this topic with further info after experimentation with Kalakoth's Minor Blights:

– Penetrating Shot (-5DR), Ryona's Vambraces (-3DR) and Effigy's Resentment DoC (-1) DR all apply to the initial hit from Kalakoth's Minor Blights

– No damage penetration whatsoever applies to the AoE Affect from Kalakoth's Minor Blights

– No damage penetration whatsoever, other than that granted from Blast and Penetrating Blast, applies to the crushing blasts generated by the blast talent

– Apprentice Sneak attack applies to the initial hit from Kalakoth's Blights and the AoE effect from Kalakoth's Blights, but does not apply to the crushing blasts generated by the blast talent

I had no way of measuring whether or not Dangerous Implements or other +% damage talents (e.g. vs Primordials) affect the Kalakoth AoE or the Crushing Blasts.

Can a Dev confirm that all of this is working as intended? It seems somewhat inconsistent in places and is pretty relevant for builds.

For instance if penetrating shot is working as intended then there's actually very little point taking it on a blights build as the bulk of your damage comes from AoE and it would be more efficient to attack more frequently. As an alternative, it might actually be better for the user to take a +elemental damage talent or a vs. monster type talent instead, or to increase their accuracy.

Likewise, if Dangerous implements only applies to the initial Blights hit, and not the Blights AoE or the surrounding crushing blasts from the talent then it seems kind of crappy also in lieu of maybe a +elemental damage talent or a vs. enemy type talent.

I'm on the most up to date version of the game.

Edited by Livegood118
  • Like 1

Next Step in my groundbreaking research:

Weapon Focus: Whatever affects the initial hit of Kalakoth’s Minor Blights

Weapon Focus: Whatever does not affect the Kalakoth Minor Blights AoE

Weapon Focus: Whatever appears to affect SOME blasts, but not all of them (I literally cannot think why this would be the case, but it was evident that some of the blasts that I made with Kalakoths attacked with 93 Accuracy while others attacked with 99 – maybe they were the blasts that came from the initial Kalakoth hit?).

Marksman affects the initial hit of Kalakoth’s Minor Blights

Marksman affects the Kalakoth’s Minor Blights AoE

Marksman does not affect the Blasts

I don't have the technical knowledge of the game to verify whether or not Dangerous Implement affects the Kalakoth's Initial Hit, the Kalakoth AoE or the subsequent Blasts but I think this might be possible if you can tell whether or not on a normal hit you're hitting for more than your max after DT is eliminated. If dangerous implements only applied to the initial hit it would be fairly useless for a blights build

• Like 1

Hey Livegood118,

Thanks for bringing these issues to our attention. 

Blast and DR Bypass:

Blast is an AOE attack, and DR bypass from Penetrating shot or the vambraces doesn't apply to this. However, I have written up a bug to see if this is intended or not. 

Llengrath's Blunt Wisdom:

I have written up a bug that the summoned weapons scales with every attack.

Kalakoths Minor Blights DR Bypass

Kalakoths Minor Blights is probably suffering from the same as issue #1. The wand creates an AOE auto attack rather than a single target. 

Blast and Sneak attack:
Sneak attack does not apply to Blast.

Weapon Focus: Adventure + Kalakoths:

I have written up a bug that the accuracy bonus applies to the primary target but not the targets around it. 

Marksman:

Probably the same issue as the weapon focus.

Dangerous Implement:

I have written a bug for this as well, though I am not sure if this is intended or not. 

Thank you for investing a lot of your time on these issues, I really appreciate it.

• Like 2

Hey Livegood118,

Thanks for bringing these issues to our attention. 

Blast and DR Bypass:

Blast is an AOE attack, and DR bypass from Penetrating shot or the vambraces doesn't apply to this. However, I have written up a bug to see if this is intended or not. 

Llengrath's Blunt Wisdom:

I have written up a bug that the summoned weapons scales with every attack.

Kalakoths Minor Blights DR Bypass

Kalakoths Minor Blights is probably suffering from the same as issue #1. The wand creates an AOE auto attack rather than a single target. 

Blast and Sneak attack:

Sneak attack does not apply to Blast.

Weapon Focus: Adventure + Kalakoths:

I have written up a bug that the accuracy bonus applies to the primary target but not the targets around it. 

Marksman:

Probably the same issue as the weapon focus.

Dangerous Implement:

I have written a bug for this as well, though I am not sure if this is intended or not. 

Thank you for investing a lot of your time on these issues, I really appreciate it.

That's fantastic – thanks very much. Don't forget effigy's resentment too!  :banana:

Fwiw my expectation of the talents – and I'm sure probably a lot of other peoples' – would have been that Weapon Focus, Marksman, Apprentice Sneak, Dangerous Implements, Penetrating Shot and any other source of "neutral" damage penetration (e.g. vambraces, effigy's resentment) all apply to each of the three stages (kalakoth initial hit, kalakoth AoE, Blast) and that penetrating blast only applies to strengthen the DP on the final blast effect because it's very weak. 

Under this scenario you'd have 9DP on the Initial Hit, 9DP on the Kalakoth AoE and then 19DP on the Blasts.