Crash on exit

fearless

Question

Only recently installed and played the game - each time i exit game via main menu, it shows a crash dialog - windows event log shows two crash entries:

Faulting application name: PillarsOfEternity.exe, version: 1.2.3.788, time stamp: 0x5548fa09
Faulting module name: PillarsOfEternity.exe, version: 1.2.3.788, time stamp: 0x5548fa09
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x0002af93
Faulting process id: 0x1438
Faulting application start time: 0x01d15d35ab4fdaad
Faulting application path: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity.exe
Report Id: 777b0b24-c940-11e5-85c2-08626648b163
Faulting application name: PillarsOfEternity.exe, version: 1.2.3.788, time stamp: 0x5548fa09
Faulting module name: PillarsOfEternity.exe, version: 1.2.3.788, time stamp: 0x5548fa09
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Faulting process id: 0x1438
Faulting application start time: 0x01d15d35ab4fdaad
Faulting application path: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity.exe
Report Id: 76a73d4a-c940-11e5-85c2-08626648b163

Attached the dxdiag and output_log.txt file (zipped)

Hope that helps.

DxDiag.txt

output_log.zip

8 answers to this question

Hi Aarik D,

I verified the steam files, made sure as little as possible is running whilst playing the game, but still getting a crash on exit. The event log shows only one entry though:

Exception code: 0xc0000005
Faulting process id: 0xef8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d15e2cc9dd24e6
Report Id: 186c40e7-ca20-11e5-88b5-08626648b163

Im running steam and pillars on a seperate SSD than my OS, with AV disabled. Usually i run a lot of games this way as i play counterstrike global offensive and the VAC service does not like some programs running (core temp, msi afterburner, etc etc) so i have a batch file that stops all services and programs except the bare essentials. I do have Actual Windows Manager running for my 2 monitors, but most games are fine with it and ive not noticed any issues ingame or in the menus with POE.

Here is a list of my programs running from a screenshot of taskmanager:

runningtasks.jpg

And here is the crash dialog as it occurs after clicking exit (either after playing some time, or after being at main menu from loading then exiting)

pillarscrash.jpg

Its not preventing me from playing, thankfully

Hi, fearless.  If this bug is still occurring, could you try uploading another output log?  The one here doesn't have any crash information in it.  This seems to happen sometimes if you don't let the game fully shut down (or in this case, finish crashing) before grabbing the log.

Hi, just checked to see if i was still getting the crash. I let steam update to the latest version and loaded to the main menu, waited for about 30seconds, clicked on a few options but didnt continue or load a game. Pressed exit, got the same dialog indicating a crash, left the screen as is for another 30seconds or so, just in case any info was being written to output logs etc.

Attached is the output log as it is, doesnt seem to have much info in it, less than previously, but maybe because i hadnt loaded a game.

Anyhow hope it is useful, if you need anything else, let me know.

output_log.txt

Hi, i managed to solve this issue.

I turned on WER and got a crash dump for PoE

Exception Code:    0xC0000005
Exception Information:    The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.

So in addition to killing off most processes before i ran the game, i killed off Actual Windows Manager (Running v8.2.2) and found that this was the culprit. The above WER reference made my think about AWM being a possible issue. Once i added an exception in AWM configuration settings, the game exited without a crash.

So problem has been solved. Thank you for your time and help though.

Went looking for a solution to this, and stumbled across this answer. Unfortunately, I don't have AWM installed, so I knew that wasn't the cause.

The actual cause appears to be the telemetry option built into Pillars. I only started having trouble exiting after I turned it on, and disabling it appears to have stopped the crash on exit entirely. I've also read that the crash on exit is also a persistent problem with Deadfire, and I suspect that the telemetry may also be the underlying problem there as well.