Pillars of Eternity is damaged and can't be opened

Trismegistus

Question

The game has been working perfectly fine for me for about a week now. All of the sudden, when I go to open the game it sayts "PillarsOfEternity" is damaged and can't be opened. Delete "PillarsofEternity" and download it again from the App Store.

I actually did this (dispite the fact that I was afraid it would delete all of my saves), and it still doesn't work!

Any ideas?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro
Processor  2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory  4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Graphics  NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 512 MB

• Like 1

15 answers to this question

Hello,

This is an issue affecting many Mac App Store apps, not just Pillars of Eternity.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/11/12/mac-app-store-apps-damaged-expired-receipts-issue/

The current solution is to open the game within the Mac App Store. Launch the Mac App Store, find the Pillars of Eternity page, and then click "Open" to run the game.

The devs at MacPlay are currently working with Apple on a permanent solution (and getting 2.0.3 launched) as soon as possible. Our sincere apologies. Hopefully we can get it fixed shortly.

• Like 1

The game has been working perfectly fine for me for about a week now. All of the sudden, when I go to open the game it sayts "PillarsOfEternity" is damaged and can't be opened. Delete "PillarsofEternity" and download it again from the App Store.

I actually did this (dispite the fact that I was afraid it would delete all of my saves), and it still doesn't work!

I have the EXACT same issue as of yesterday.  I didn't change the operating system, no new updates, just playing the game on Macbook Pro OS Yosemite 10.10.3 for a week.  Then yesterday after playing for over an hour, went back to reload and got the same error message as above.... "Pillars of Eternity if damaged..."  I also decided to take the hit, delete the file and reload the program.  I also upgraded my OS to Yosemite 10.10.5 and nothing has changed.  The game remains unable to open.  I've never seen this before, ever.  

What's the story folks?

Hello everyone,

Welcome to the forums! Thanks for joining us. If you haven't done so already, please restart your Mac and this should solve the problem. 

Thank you for your support. 

First, thanks for checking on this issue.  

Second, I've restarted the computer repeatedly.

Third, after trashing the old file and reloading the new file (for the second time) I AM NOW ABLE TO ACCESS THE GAME ONLY WHEN I HIT "OPEN" at the the Apple Store.  The icon in my Applications folder, despite being reloaded and brand new, DOES NOT allow me access and gives me the same error message as before.  The icon on my computer is not a desktop hyperlink, it's the icon that appears only after the reload is complete.  

So, I'm about to start playing again, I think, but odd that I can only do so when getting online at the Apple Store and hitting "OPEN" with the game under Purchases.

By the way, I hope this might be some sort of help to the other folks dealing with this exact same issue.  

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Hello,

This is an issue affecting many Mac App Store apps, not just Pillars of Eternity.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/11/12/mac-app-store-apps-damaged-expired-receipts-issue/

The current solution is to open the game within the Mac App Store. Launch the Mac App Store, find the Pillars of Eternity page, and then click "Open" to run the game.

The devs at MacPlay are currently working with Apple on a permanent solution (and getting 2.0.3 launched) as soon as possible. Our sincere apologies. Hopefully we can get it fixed shortly.

I don't see an "Open" button on the page in the Mac Store....hmmmm

Hello,

Are you on the Pillars of Eternity page on the Mac App Store? Not in purchases, the actual Pillars page with the screenshots, etc.

Hello,

Are you on the Pillars of Eternity page on the Mac App Store? Not in purchases, the actual Pillars page with the screenshots, etc.

Yeah, I am. It just says "Installed" and I don't see any option to hit Open.

I have deleted the app and installed it again. Three times by now. Tried to open it on the app page. No luck at all. Two days ago I was playing without any issue. Upgraded OS. No luck so far. Any idea of when they will fix it? I bought the game three days ago!!

Eriseh....   What I did with a newer Macbook Pro...  kept it Yosemite and went from 10.10.3 to 10.10.5.  Updated anything at the App Store that looked even slightly important in any way (general security issues related to Pages, Numbers, Keynote, etc, etc.) restarted the computer a half dozen times until the updated OS reboot seemed to normalize, got on the App Store and went to the Purchased Tab up top, reloaded the game (twice) after deleting off the computer (twice), then the "OPEN" button option was on the right.  I simply clicked on that and it loaded.  Clicking on the icons on my system still doesn't work and continues to give an error message.  

Doesn't make a lot of sense but that's exactly what happened for me.

Hope it helps... if not you can call Apple Support.  Actually being able to get someone on the phone is nice and they deal with App Store and I Tunes issues quite a bit they said.  

Fellow mac users, rejoice! I just checked and a new update for Pillar of Eternity is available on the App Store. Apparently it will solve the "crash on launch issue"and allow us  to install the latest patch. I'm downloading right now. Fingers crossed!

As Barbedbeat mention, the 2.0.3 update is now live on the Mac App Store and fixes the crash on launch issue as well as incorporating the 2.0.3 patch.

thanks Macplay. 

Any news for TWM1 expansion pass? the link on the screen "buy TWM1" doesn't work.