Unlikely to happen since PoE uses Unity 4. If it used Unity 5 then maybe since everyone could have Unity 5 for free making it easier to mod for.

But really if there are groups of people out there that want to port BG over to a more modern engine, they could download Unity 5 right now and get started. However that would be a massive undertaking and never get done.

Also Obsidian would not be able to get a license for those games, Beamdog is already doing the EE versions, and it is doubtful any other company would be given licenses.

Finally, Obsidian would probably prefer to keep doing PoE series rather than remake BG in Unity engine.

I believe Wizard of the Coast owns the rights to all D&D products including BGs and IWDs. Beamdog own the Infinity Engine?

I wonder if Obsidian can borrow IE and upgraded it and make more games similar to the old but modernized or something. They did spend quite a bit to make Unity similar to IE but its been a little clunky so far. W2EEs or Torment whichever comes first, will show if the latest version of Unity is better or still sucks.

Wasteland 2 Enhanced Edition. Dunno why I added the s.

I just remembered Shadowrun also uses Unity, wonder if Hong Kong which recently came out, used the latest version or an older one. Performance felt the same but maps felt a little bigger, I can barely remember Return, Dragonfall had some big areas if I recall correctly but aside from loading screen there weren't any major problems.

Edited by iLurk

No reason to go back to IE.

The biggest reason why you are seeing issues with unity is because the developers had virtually no experience with the engine. Now that they have experience with it you will see future games using the engine to be more polished and optimized.

Plus with unity 5 being released and presumably all developers using unity 5,you will see game having better mods... Unless developers choose to encrypt their files.