Is Stat Dumping required in Easy, Normal or Hard?

So I'm playing the game for the first time.

And I'm interesting in playing Mostly likely in Normal at least once. Then Hard. Not sure if I will ever play POD.

The idea of a Cipher is very appealing to me, especially from a RP perspective, and again from an RP I'm likely going to Play as a Human. Sticking to the RP perspective I'm also going to use the NPC that are built into the game versus recruiting from the inn. I'm also leaning toward Firearms as my primary weapon set (probably blunderbuss), again the idea of a psionic Musketeer is appealing from RP perspective for me.

I know from reading that something like :
Mgt : 19

Con : 3

Dex : 18
Per : 3

Int : 19

Res : 16

Is pretty much the best spread of attributes. 

My question is, am I limiting myself  myself too badly if I were to do :

MGT : 16

CON : 10

DEX : 14

PER : 10

INT : 16
RES : 12

It's not even required on PotD (at least not for most classes). Dumping stats can make your life easier, but it's by no means necessary.

For reference: my first playthrough was on Hard, with a Wood Elf cipher with a 19/7/19/7/18/8 stat spread, using pregen companions. My current PotD playthrough is with a moonlike monk running a 16/10/10/16/10/16 spread, again using pregen companions. I've had few major difficulties on either.

And yes, blunderbuss is absolutely the right call for a ranged cipher (switch to a pistol against enemies with very high DR, though). In terms of Talents, you'll want Weapon Focus:Ruffian, Marksman, either Gunner or Quick Switch (if you go for Quick Switch, Arms Master is also a decent choice), and Penetrating Shot.

• Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

It's not even required on PotD (at least not for most classes). Dumping stats can make your life easier, but it's by no means necessary.

For reference: my first playthrough was on Hard, with a Wood Elf cipher with a 19/7/19/7/18/8 stat spread, using pregen companions. My current PotD playthrough is with a moonlike monk running a 16/10/10/16/10/16 spread, again using pregen companions. I've had few major difficulties on either.

And yes, blunderbuss is absolutely the right call for a ranged cipher (switch to a pistol against enemies with very high DR, though). In terms of Talents, you'll want Weapon Focus:Ruffian, Marksman, either Gunner or Quick Switch (if you go for Quick Switch, Arms Master is also a decent choice), and Penetrating Shot.

What he said.

I'm also playing with all companions besides my main on PoTD, and I'm also finding most fights to be easy after Act 1. My cipher is a companion, I'm pretty sure her stats are worse than what you proposed, and she is still kicking butt (with a Blunderbuss) because ciphers are just such a strong class. To the must-have talents listed above, I'd add Biting Whip and Draining Whip, but those are obvious picks for any cipher.

From what I've read, min-maxing only becomes crucial if you are playing with a restricted party size or soloing. This game is very flexible that way. Have fun!

Heya,

Nope, not at all. Min/Maxing is not necessary for this game. Or any D&D game frankly. That's just a classic approach to making a power character. But these games are party games, as long as the party has a good mix and you apply good tactics & strategy for the situation, you can get through it with a balanced group, and not just feel like you have to have tricked out power characters to muscle through every situation, rather than thinking about what you're doing.

Very best,

You know what does make a significant difference that's very easy to be unaware of as a new player? Making your main a paladin or priest, if you're planning to have a paladin or priest in your party at all. They each get dramatic boosts to an ability based on how well your dialogue choices align with preferred dispositions, but these are only taken into account if it's your main character. As an example, if you were to make your main a paladin as opposed to picking up the paladin companion, you'd end up with as much as +6/12/12/12 higher defenses. You'd also be able to pick a paladin order with access to unique talents, which the paladin companion lacks. As I mentioned, there's a cipher companion in the game.

Of course, if your personal feelings/attachments and RP considerations weigh more heavily, there's no problem making your main a cipher, just letting you know this so you can be informed.

Maybe you can make something that's more powerful in combat by min-maxing, but the game's not THAT hard on normal, and you'll lock yourself out of a lot of options in conversations.  I'm playing on normal with a relatively balanced cipher in my first playthrough and using the NPC's provided and it's perfectly viable.

Edited by magritte

Maybe you can make something that's more powerful in combat by min-maxing, but the game's not THAT hard on normal, and you'll lock yourself out of a lot of options in conversations.

Okay, now this, on the other hand, is untrue. You get plenty of conversation options for very high attributes, but you don't lose any by dumping a stat that you would be getting with an average score. Min-maxing can actually get you more conversation options than you'd have otherwise.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

• 3 weeks later...