I have been playing on the Hard Setting. I am noticing that dumping stats doesn't seem necessary. Looking at the in game NPCs, they are definitely not created to min/max standards and yet they serve just fine in Hard Mode. My current party has no in game NPCs, instead I am using my PC and 5 hired adventurers.

My PC is a Fire Godlike Fighter with the below starting stats.

Might - 16

Dex - 14

Con - 12

Per - 13

Int - 10

Res - 14

Also using Island Amuana Pally kind Wayfarer who likes to Sword & Board in her spare time, a Pale Elf Rogue who keeps in the shadows due to his complexion and double Stiletto backstabs, a Warbow wielding Meadow Folk Cipher, a Dwarf Priestess of Eothas with Morning Star and a Savannah Folk Wizard for CC. All with balanced stats for the most part. Only my Wizard had a 18 starting stat.

Is this style party viable in PotD?

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

Ya its not really necessary.  For instance GM and Aloth only have a 12 Might but if you play them as CC casters they work well because of their high INT.  Are the in game NPCs optimal? no but its not necessary even on PoTD.  I think the game was set up that way feels that way to me.  stats matter for sure.  but if you aren't sure and go middle of the road with all your stats gear, knowing an enemies weakness and talents can more then tip the scales.

I play a Coastal Aumaua Paladin Goldpact Knight. I wanted to play a Merc Paladin whose crusade is finishing a job to the end especially if hes going to be paid or has been paid up front. Hes an adventurer and a soldier and wants to get paid for it.  I play him as the main tank of the group.  I prefer Coastal for Towering Physique which is really good for a tank.  Personally really like Aumaua.  The backgrounds of your characters and the party set up are great!.  Paladin, Chanter and Priest are clutch (all the leader classes lol) and I know you can definitely finish the game without them but I just think they are awesome support characters.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

That party composition is almost identical to mine on PoTD, except I'm using a ranged chanter in place of a rogue, my main (paladin tank) is optimized, and I'm using companions instead of hired adventurers. As Torm pointed out, companions also have balanced (non-optimal) stats, so in that respect our parties would seem to be of similar strength. With good strategy and spells/abilities/talents, I have found most fights pretty easy, with a few exceptions (e.g. Shades/Shadows can get messy with any party). I am level 9 and (I believe) most of the way through Act 2 now.

It seems the place where heavily optimized builds would make the most difference is soloing, or in smaller party sizes to a lesser extent, but I have not yet tried soloing or restricting my party size. All I know is that even PoTD is pretty forgiving build-wise for a tactical player as long as you have a full, well balanced party, which you do.

One of the major differences I notice is that I rely more on buffs/debuffs on PoTD because of enemy stats being higher, but as you adapt to this, it'll certainly be doable and enjoyable IMHO.

Edited by Nobear

They're not really required at all, save for some classes when soloing. The most important thing for PotD is using your CC intelligently, developing the party's talent/ability selection wisely, abusing the hell out of figurines, abusing Rymrgand's Mantle during shadow/phantom fights, and generally being good at the game. +15% damage or whatever helps, sure, but you don't need it.

For reference, my current PotD run has been with pregen companions, and a monk running 16/10/10/16/10/16. I am a wrecking ball of death and chaos.

Edited by gkathellar
  • Like 3

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

They're not really required at all, save for some classes when soloing. The most important thing for PotD is using your CC intelligently, developing the party's talent/ability selection wisely, abusing the hell out of figurines, abusing Rymrgand's Mantle during shadow/phantom fights, and generally being good at the game. +15% damage or whatever helps, sure, but you don't need it.

For reference, my current PotD run has been with pregen companions, and a monk running 16/10/10/16/10/16. I am a wrecking ball of death and chaos.

Rymrgand's Mantle is a good suggestion. IIRC there is more than one of these you can get. Its easy to judge an item by its "value" and replace it quickly, never looking back. However, in this game, it seems some of the most useful items have some of the lowest prices or resell value, and/or are acquired early. Some of them are situational, granted, but very good in their niche.

Edited by Nobear

Rymrgand's Mantle is a good suggestion. IIRC there is more than one of these you can get. Its easy to judge an item by its "value" and replace it quickly, never looking back. However, in this game, it seems some of the most useful items have some of the lowest prices or resell value, and/or are acquired early. Some of them are situational, granted, but very good in their niche.

Rymrgands actually only appear on the random loot table. You can find them in several locations, including early in a chest in the Black Dog. I'd not recommend getting more than two, as several of its drop locations can also have other good stuff, like Rings of Overseeing or Gauntlets of Accuracy.

• Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Rymrgands actually only appear on the random loot table. You can find them in several locations, including early in a chest in the Black Dog. I'd not recommend getting more than two, as several of its drop locations can also have other good stuff, like Rings of Overseeing or Gauntlets of Accuracy.

Well I already vendored mine on this play through, but I've been stockpiling potions of Bulwark of the Elements in case I encounter another really tough spirit fight.

My party is level 5 and though I have yet to deal with Raederic's machinations, we have entered level 8 in Caed Nua.The ogres were fun as we Hit them head on, no kiting them away from the others.

Wow, Raedric's Hold is going to seem easy in comparison lol.