Do Women Earn Less Than Men?

ktchong

I loathe Summers for her general wingnuttery, outright lies, malicious misuse of statistics, and working for an anti-intellectual conspiracy theorist. Compared to these, her involvement with GG isn't even a blip on the radar. Neither is it particularly surprising, mind.

Who is the best feminist scholar?

Twilight Sparkle

I have no idea, but I sure as hell have a strong candidate for who isn't  :rolleyes: 

Boo

Come on now, trust your instincts. For example, when someone says "left scholar", i say Noam Chomsky. When i say "Gender pay gap/feminist scholar" you say....?

I don't say anything, because I'm studying medicine, not gender studies, therefore I lack the kind of insight into the field that would let me make such judgments.

There is value in acknowledging the limits of one's knowledge.

I haven't studied Astrology but i'm pretty certain that its bogus.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Dunning-Kruger strikes again.

Damn I like that one, I see this in South Africa all the time

I want to use that on that radio station I listen to 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Dig into this fellas: http://www.consad.com/content/reports/Gender%20Wage%20Gap%20Final%20Report.pdf

Statistical analysis that includes those variables has produced results that collectively account for between 65.1 and 76.4 percent of a raw gender wage gap of 20.4 percent, and thereby leave an adjusted gender wage gap that is between 4.8 and 7.1 percent.

These variables include: A greater percentage of women than men tend to work part-time. Part-time work tends to pay less than full-time work. A greater percentage of women than men tend to leave the labor force for child birth, child care and elder care. Some of the wage gap is explained by the percentage of women who were not in the labor force during previous years, the age of women, and the number of children in the home. 1 2 Women, especially working mothers, tend to value “family friendly” workplace policies more than men. Some of the wage gap is explained by industry and occupation, particularly, the percentage of women who work in the industry and occupation.

Stupid women, why are you giving your family a priority over your career? 

Many signals show, that wages become similar, but it is not signal of happy society; but part of it. Do you know, that Europe is extincting? IT becomes older and older. That's big problem. Because woman want to be equal everywhere. They don't want to give life...

Did you consult the heavens to come up with that answer?

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Did you consult the heavens to come up with that answer?

I pointed out a very obvious false equivalence.

Whereas I pointed out an clear example of a field where you don't need to be an expert in to realize that its bogus.

village_idiot.gif

I didn't actually bother with the videos but my wife make hella more than me.  :thumbsup:

My wife is a RN. She makes more than I do. Now at least. Before my contract ran out at my last job it was the other way around.

My department head at work is a woman. I am quite sure she makes more then the rest of us.

Its okay boys, there is nothing wrong with your wife or partner earning more than you, it should be quite liberating. Think about it you can now say "  honey I really feel like going for dinner at our local steakhouse...but do you mind paying ?"  Nothing wrong with that    8)

Actually, a recent study found surprisingly that women who make more money than their husbands are less satisfied with their lives and more apt to divorce than other women. So watch out Bruce!

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/01/living/infidelity-men-women-breadwinners-feat/

Also, here's a good roundup I found on the pay gap issue.  It's too bad that Democrats routinely use such misleading statistics to promote the "war on women".  Par for the course in politics i guess.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/wp/2015/04/02/the-equal-pay-day-factoid-that-women-make-78-cents-for-every-dollar-earned-by-men/