Prisoner of Ice - Act 3 Quest: Questions on quest resolution

Was there another way to do this quest without slaughtering every Pale elf in the entire temple? I persuaded the main wizard to let the Orlan go, but I didn't see much reason in leaving them be since I had to kill just about everything to get to this wizard, and he seemed to be up to no good.

So I did just that, killed him and his friends, now the Altar, you can interact with it but what can you do? It says there's a hole in it, in another room I found a unique Quarterstaff so I thought maybe that went there, but nope...

So is that the quest, you free the Orlan, and either let he Pale elves do some crazy ritual in peace or slaughter them? I wish I knew what was missing here

There's another quest related to Noonfrost, it gives you more options (also the item to put in the hole). But with or without it, you don't have to kill everyone to reach the Glas-whatever guy you need to talk to, you can sneak in and out.

There's a bunch of Resolve-increasing stuff in Twin Elms. One of the shops in the market has some medium armor with +3 Resolve, the inn gives you +2 and you can get +3 more from food. All of these stack so if your character has at least 9 Resolve, it should be possible to convince the Pale Elves to go home without hurting anyone.

Was there another way to do this quest without slaughtering every Pale elf in the entire temple? I persuaded the main wizard to let the Orlan go, but I didn't see much reason in leaving them be since I had to kill just about everything to get to this wizard, and he seemed to be up to no good.

So I did just that, killed him and his friends, now the Altar, you can interact with it but what can you do? It says there's a hole in it, in another room I found a unique Quarterstaff so I thought maybe that went there, but nope...

So is that the quest, you free the Orlan, and either let he Pale elves do some crazy ritual in peace or slaughter them? I wish I knew what was missing here

You need to go bother the gods first.