Aloth in the Dark:companion vs. mercenaries questions (spoilers possible!)

Hi guys;

I just start a newgame on hard this time, and I wanted to create a completly custom team (paladin, barbrian, ranger, druid, chanter, wizzard/cipher) with mercenaries, in order to tune myself all skills and stats (i.e avoid usless sqeleton with Kana etc...).

Question is: does I will not loose too much xp not taking any companions like Aloth, Kana etc..? I mean about their quest line. 

In same order of idea: can I come back quickly with them in my party only to validate their quest later on? i.e go down to a clean Old Nua and validate Kana's quest?

Bonus question: does anyone know the location of thy clef named shield please? I miss it.

Thanks for your feedback;

There is far more XP in the game than you need to reach the maximum level. You don't need to worry about missing out on any.

That said, it's worth noting that Hard difficulty might be too easy with a custom min-maxed party. Consider playing PotD instead.

Make sure to strip them naked tho , every companion full naked so you can sell or use their items early , Eder has badass armor with 2nd chance , aloth has nice armor for a wizard/druid/priest , Kana can give you Arquebus realy early 

Edited by Exoduss