Yao Ming's attitude under fire :(

Whitemithrandir

Yao Ming was criticized for exhibiting an "elitest" attitude after getting pissed off (and showing it) at his team mate's mistakes. Now people are saying his experiences in playing in America made him a more horrible person.

This is BS. If your team mates suck, you have every right to get pissed off. Besides which, Yao Ming scored like more than half of the points. If I were the coach, I'd be like

"Okay Yao. You can yell at whoever you want, just WIN THE GAME. I'll tell you what, if you win the game, I'll call up Hu Jing Tao, invite him over, and you can yell at him for fifteen minutes. Just win the game."

Word economics

To express my vast wisdom

I speak in haiku's.

poor form to openly criticize your teammates... sportsmanship is supposed to rule. particularly since he's obviously the standout on the team, he can't expect everyone else to perform to his level. if that's what he wanted, he should've tried to be on a team that is comprised of nothing but NBA stars (the US team, btw, is missing a lot of the NBA's big talent).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

poor form to openly criticize your teammates... sportsmanship is supposed to rule.  particularly since he's obviously the standout on the team, he can't expect everyone else to perform to his level.  if that's what he wanted, he should've tried to be on a team that is comprised of nothing but NBA stars (the US team, btw, is missing a lot of the NBA's big talent).

taks

I agree sportsman ship is the rule in the olympics. Has been for as long as I can remember. The thing that differenciates the olympics from other sporting events is you are not only competing indivdually but as a country also. Thats why they have the medal standings. So if you act unbecoming it also reflects on your country.

I think you need to get on teammates from time to time to pull people together.  Men in competitive sports often respond to authority figures challenging them.

That is fine but not in a public way especially in the olympics. It is one thing to yell at your team mates behind closed doors and another thing entirely if is done on court, field ect.

Yao Ming is a team leader. Part of the responsibility of being a team leader is to kick any teammate in the arse who's dogging it. It doesn't matter if it's behind closed doors or out in the open. If something needs to be addressed -ESPECIALLY in the middle of action- it needs to be done IMMEDIATELY. Period.

They're hi-level athletes. If they can't take a public scolding-then they're babies and don't belong there.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Yao Ming is a team leader. Part of the responsibility of being a team leader is to kick any teammate in the arse who's dogging it. It doesn't matter if it's behind closed doors or out in the open. If something needs to be addressed -ESPECIALLY in the middle of action- it needs to be done IMMEDIATELY. Period.

They're hi-level athletes. If they can't take a public scolding-then they're babies and don't belong there.

You treat it like it is a job, and quite frankly it is not. Unfortunatly America has forgoten all about sportsmanship. Do you see gymnastics coaches jumping up and down screaming their heads off about getting their head in the compitition when one othe gymnasts doesn't stick a landing or performs sub par? No because thats not in the spirit of the olympics. Now if we are talking about the NBA where everything is about money and who wins or looses thats another story. I mean lets face it Yao left china for a reason, you don't happen to think it had something to do with the fact a good pickup game is hard to find do you?

You treat it like it is a job, and quite frankly it is not. Unfortunatly America has forgoten all about sportsmanship. Do you see gymnastics coaches jumping up and down screaming their heads off about getting their head in the compitition when one othe gymnasts doesn't stick a landing or performs sub par? No because thats not in the spirit of the olympics. Now if we are talking about the NBA where everything is about money and who wins or looses thats another story. I mean lets face it Yao left china for a reason, you don't happen to think it had something to do with the fact a good pickup game is hard to find do you?

Thanks for the red herring.

For all the idealism of the Olympics, and whether or not they compete for compensation, there is a certain amount of pride associated with the Olympics. Dare I say...nationalism? Patriotism? Don't you happen to think that there is something at stake a little more than money?

As a former collegiate athlete, I expect and need to get my butt chewed for not "getting my head in the game." Doesn't matter if it's from my coach, captain, or the waterboy. And it is certainly the most effective if it is done immediately. Can't let the cancer linger.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Thanks for the red herring.

For all the idealism of the Olympics, and whether or not they compete for compensation, there is a certain amount of pride associated with the Olympics. Dare I say...nationalism? Patriotism? Don't you happen to think that there is something at stake a little more than money?

As a former collegiate athlete, I expect and need to get my butt chewed for not "getting my head in the game." Doesn't matter if it's from my coach, captain, or the waterboy. And it is certainly the most effective if it is done immediately. Can't let the cancer linger.

I like your reasoning my ascertion that the olympics where founded on good will and sportsmanship and should be approached that way is completely wrong. Yet you use the ideals of nationalism, and patriotism to support your argument. The reason you feel that way is because of the enfessis we put on all sports. Do you believe a coch, or captain in the little league world series has the right to belittle and berate a player in front of the world to get them to play better? Before you get all defensive last time I checked other countries were let in on it, so yeah they are playing for national pride also. How do you expect our children to understand sportsmanship when their hero's don't show it. Win win win thats the bottom line with American sports, and I think Yao has learned his leasons well. :lol:

What's 'enfessis'? 'Ascertion'?

Maybe emphasis? Assertion?

Time to hit the books sportsman.

Do you have sometning to add or are you just here to try and make your self feel superior? I might disagree with Leferd but at least his post offered more than I spell better than you do. Here is your gold star now head out for recess with the other children.

I like your reasoning my ascertion that the olympics where founded on good will and sportsmanship and should be approached that way is completely wrong. Yet you use the ideals of nationalism, and patriotism to support your argument. The reason you feel that way is because of the enfessis we put on all sports. Do you believe a coch, or captain in the little league world series has the right to belittle and berate a player in front of the world to get them to play better? Before you get all defensive last time I checked other countries were let in on it, so yeah they are playing for national pride also. How do you expect our children to understand sportsmanship when their hero's don't show it. Win win win thats the bottom line with American sports, and I think Yao has learned his leasons well. :)

Ok maybe this was to much of an attack on you and I am sorry for it. My biggest concern in sports today is it is all about winning. Do what ever it takes to win which is why a guy like Bobby Knight; a great basketball coach, but someone who can not control himself kept his job for so long. There were many times he made Indiana university look really bad, yet even after the allegations of misstreating players he was able to find a job. I can give other examples how about Littrell Spreewell he attacked his coach. Then there is Anthony Moss (not sure if that is hisf his first name) the wide eciever for the vikings admitting he only gives 100% of his effort when it suits him. Is this the face you want to put forth for sports? It seems like it as all these people are still involved with their respective sports today.

Listen if Yao wanted to take care of the problem on the court fine but there is a way to do it and not come off looking like a spoiled baby. These men after all are adults why can't they act like it?

Do you have sometning to add or are you just here to try and make your self feel superior? I might disagree with Leferd but at least his post offered more than I spell better than you do. Here is your gold star now head out for recess with the other children.

Oh, pardon me for not addressing your straw men arguments.

Oh, pardon me for not addressing your straw men arguments.

If my argument was weak and not worth your time why answer at all? Why come back and post a second time? What is it you are gaining? Your opinion means little to me when you interject youself into a conversation and the only thing you have to say is you miss spelled something I know how to spell. I am sure there are a great many things you can do that I can not, and yes there are probably just as amny things I can do you can't. I have never been strong at spelling but I think I get my point across. Please if you have something to say about the topic say it.

I agree the way countries go about the olympics is some what appalling.  Are you saying China is alone at wanting to be the best at everything?  We as a nation we might not do it the same way but I am pretty sure if most americans are polled they would say they would rather be first than second.

Everyone wants to be the best, it's just a question of how badly they want to. We can accept that we are not the best at everything, and that's why Americans tend to dominate in certain events (many actually) and have only a minor presence in others. The Chinese end up in pretty much any event that they can practice for (which is why you don't see them doing Equestrian). The Chinese think that their society is superior to all others, and since their athletic program is run by the government, it follows that their athletes feel the exact same way.

I agree the way countries go about the olympics is some what appalling.  Are you saying China is alone at wanting to be the best at everything?  We as a nation we might not do it the same way but I am pretty sure if most americans are polled they would say they would rather be first than second.

Everyone wants to be the best, it's just a question of how badly they want to. We can accept that we are not the best at everything, and that's why Americans tend to dominate in certain events (many actually) and have only a minor presence in others. The Chinese end up in pretty much any event that they can practice for (which is why you don't see them doing Equestrian). The Chinese think that their society is superior to all others, and since their athletic program is run by the government, it follows that their athletes feel the exact same way.

I agree with you there, I just think it is kinda funny that the chinese do it on a national level and america is more person by person. How many pro baseball players have been suspected of using perfomance enhancing substances now? Lets face it also if steroids were not a problem the leagues wouldn't have rules against them. How about one that hits close to home for me, Sammy Sosa and the corked bat.

Pro baseball is like a bad CS server these days. Everyone cheats, everyone cries foul play, and everyone thinks that they deserve more money. Aside from the World Series, I don't even pay attention to it anymore. It just isn't fun.