Fighter Weapon Specialization versus Confident Aim

For a fighter Weapon Specialization is a passive effect giving 1.15x bonus to damage from specific weapons. According to the in game tooltip Confident Aim is a passive effect converting 20% of grazes to hits AND giving a 1.2x bonus to ALL weapon damage. 

So wouldnt you automatically take Confident Aim first or only if you had to choose one? The Prima Games guide suggests taking Wep Spec instead? 
Also has anyone tested do the bonuses to dmg stack? 

• Like 1

I took both with my fighter.

Confident Aim works for every weapon which is a plus, +20% minimum damage nets you +10% average but will more reliably get past DR. I am not clear on the specifics of converting grazes to hits but it sounds like a good thing.

Weapon spec locks you into a group of weapons which might or might not be a bad thing. The best melee choice is probably not in the same group as the best ranged choice.

I would take Confident Aim first as it is more flexible with weapon choices.

• 1 year later...

Hmm, that does seem a tad excessive. Have you experienced it more than once, or was it just a one-off? Either way, it'd probably be a good idea to report it in the Troubleshooting forum, maybe they can check it out before the final version of the 3.03 update. 

I think Confident Aim is affected by the well documented save stacking bug, I know when I was facing off against Sly Cyrdel he was doing 150-200 damage against me and he definitely has Confident Aim.

@ the OP, as KDubya mentions take both. I find fighters aren't awash with abilities that you're absolutely desperate to take, so there's usually enough room for both on one character. If you have to take one, as KDubya says Confident Aim maybe has the slight edge - with Fighters' natural sturdiness I find against high deflection enemies the graze -> hit proc does happen at a reasonable rate.

Edited by Jojobobo

Indeed, could well be that. It'd require an awful lot of stacking to get to that value though. If it is that bug, it's fixed in 3.03 beta though, far as I know. Although Confident Aim has a non-stacking load bug now, hopefully they'll fix before final. I also have the impression that (at least in 3.03 beta) the minimum damage bonus isn't actually doing anything. So although I would probably prefer Confident Aim over WS if it was working properly (though I might indeed well take both anyway), for the moment I would stay away from it.

^ why do you think it is not working?

It was in 3.02.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I think it's not represented in the damage tooltips, I don't think it's not working.

My question was for Loren Tyr—the damage bonus was never represented in the UI; that much is known :)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Ah, hang on... It seems that I've always completely misunderstood that part of Confident Aim! I've always understood it to increase the minimum damage you do against high DR, the ones with the all caps MIN next to it. It never even occurred to me that it might refer to the lower bound on the weapon damage range. 

Anyway, I stand corrected. A quick test in 3.03 beta shows that that does indeed work (now it only has the loading bug).

^ indeed. Though that does indirectly increase the MIN damage as well, which in that case would go from 2 damage to 2.4 damage. But this is just a by-product of it increasing the lower damage bound, not a direct effect of Confident Aim (as I originally thought it was intended to do).

Edited by Loren Tyr
  • Like 1