Path of the Damned / Expert no adventurers for hire?

I started up a new game with Path of the Damned, Expert and Trial of Iron.   Went to the Black Hound because I wanted to design a min-max party - but found I can't hire any adventurers?

Is that one of the Expert or Path of the Damned mechanics or is there a bug?

I believe you have to have a chr. level that = the hireling being able to be 1 level below your player character. So if you aren't level 2 yet for some reason, they won't show up. Had that happen to me recently during a restart, because I dashed to the town vs. doing the stuff on the map before it, first.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

You gotta be level 2. You forgot to level your character up after leaving the intro dungeon, do that, and you'll be free to hire Adventurers. 

Heh, that must've been it. Just assumed it was because I didn't do enough "stuff" but truth be told when writing my above post I couldn't quite remember the sequence of events I had...faulty memory circuits.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Note there is no reason at all to not take a level up as soon as it becomes available. If your plan is to recruit the game NPCs, the level they pop into the party is based on your XP, not your level.

Edited by Matuse