Equipping weapons only in off-hand, high accuracy dual wield?

I was messing around and noticed that if I equipped a weapon in the off-hand slot, I got the same accuracy boost as 1h+ empty hand, but you "dual wield" a fist and the other weapon. 

So, got to thinking about a Hearth Orlan monk with Weapon Focus: Peasant dual wielding a fist and a spear. Viable?

• Like 2

To the monk bug, testet it.

It is more than a screening bug. 

1.) It is true, in combat it changes one handed styl from right to left hand, and your fist do not attack or do damage on autoattack

But

2.) you main damage source, Torment Reach gets 2 attacks, for the fist and the off hand. if you carry for example bash shild, you do not get a attack role for torment reach.

Torment reach works this way.

1h: -> 1 attack.

2h: -> 1 attack

dual: -> 2 attack

1h+shild: -> 1 attack

1h + damage shild: ->  1attack

fist+off hand: -> 2 attack, but autoattack only with off hand

Edited by Aqvamare
  • Like 1

To the monk bug, testet it.

It is more than a screening bug. 

1.) It is true, in combat it changes one handed styl from right to left hand, and your fist do not attack or do damage on autoattack

But

2.) you main damage source, Torment Reach gets 2 attacks, for the fist and the off hand. if you carry for example bash shild, you do not get a attack role for torment reach.

Torment reach works this way.

1h: -> 1 attack.

2h: -> 1 attack

dual: -> 2 attack

1h+shild: -> 1 attack

1h + damage shild: ->  1attack

fist+off hand: -> 2 attack, but autoattack only with off hand

The fact that you only attack with one hand makes it useless anyway as 1 one handed weapon is pretty lackluster. I mean the only thing you gain is an accuracy buff to the one hander you have.

no, it isn't useless, you get with this bug 1 more attack on torment reach per use, like real dualwilding would do with 12 points more accurcy on both attacks....for fist and wepon damage as basic...

ohhh ok so it makes you autoattacks rubbish but buffs torments reach. hmm so the best way to make use of this would be to find he lowest accuracy weapon out there and put it in your offhand

Even if you don't get your auto attacks, you should still switch to fist+offhand when doing your attacks.

That having been said, would the dual wield talent apply or just the 1h talent?

So I'm thinking, get Mortification of the Soul and on a major fight you can spam the heck out of Torment Reach briefly for major aoe. Would you want to take Int as a primary stat for this? IIRC it just makes TR 3 meters instead of 2, might not be that impressive.

Edited by Infares

when you switch weapons there is a delay before you can cast making me doubt if this would work.

Having tested it a bit now i think that some fights where most of your dps is coming from torments (ie where you are suffering from wounds at a fast enough rate to spam it) this pays off, especially if you have a good weapon in you offhand. However in slower fights more of your damage comes from autoattacks and doing this gimps your dmg from auto attacks

when you switch weapons there is a delay before you can cast making me doubt if this would work.

Having tested it a bit now i think that some fights where most of your dps is coming from torments (ie where you are suffering from wounds at a fast enough rate to spam it) this pays off, especially if you have a good weapon in you offhand. However in slower fights more of your damage comes from autoattacks and doing this gimps your dmg from auto attacks

Those situations are relatively predictable, though, so switching before engaging isn't out of the question.

Those situations are relatively predictable, though, so switching before engaging isn't out of the question.

no i meant someone suggested you switch to the weapon set whenever you have torment available and i was saying that would slow your dps by a huge amount

• Like 1

I was messing around and noticed that if I equipped a weapon in the off-hand slot, I got the same accuracy boost as 1h+ empty hand, but you "dual wield" a fist and the other weapon. 

So, got to thinking about a Hearth Orlan monk with Weapon Focus: Peasant dual wielding a fist and a spear. Viable?

Yep, I have a monk dual wielding a fist and a 1H weapon. Seems like it needs to be sorted out by the devs.

no i meant someone suggested you switch to the weapon set whenever you have torment available and i was saying that would slow your dps by a huge amount

Right, I was just saying in response to that you could just pick which style you wanted to go with before the fight. Also, there's a talent called Quick Switch that reduces that cooldown by 1.5 seconds, so there is that. 

Just did some testing/theory crafting:

Dual Weapon Style is worthless afik

Single weapon style isn't that great because your accuracy will be extremely high so you're not likely to graze people;

Thus, WF: Peasant is probably the best since it reduces the likelihood of grazes even further.

Of course, the talent that reduces your wound threshold is also great since you're likely going to be spamming your attacks.

I don't think Intelligence is a good stat for this build, the cone isn't wide enough to hit more than one enemy in melee, you basically have to hit them in a line away from you instead if you want Torment Reach to be anything but Single Target.

Anyone know if having a party member apply a dot to your Monk will give them regular and controllable wounds?

monks gain a wound every 8/10 (with or without lesser wounds) points of damage they take, it doesnt matter what the source is but if you need to attack your own monk for them to get wounds you are playing them wrong lol, basically you should be getting wounds as fast as you can cast torment, so as a tank thats usually plate armor, but against weaker foes you can drop it down a notch to mail or even leather

Edited by Ceranai

• 1 month later...