One-handed weapon in off hand with right hand empty. Explioit.

vonmistont

Question

I discovered this playing as a monk and this class benefits from this the most but it can be used by all one-handed style champions.

If you use two weapons or no weapons at all (two fists) accuracy of both is lowered if you use only one one-handed weapon in primary (right) hand you have increased accuracy but if you place just one weapon in off hand and leave right hand empty your right hand fist is listed as a primary weapon but the accuracy of both hands primary and secondary benefits from one-handed accuracy bonus. In this situation normal attacks only utilize your equipped secondary weapon ignoring your right fist so You don't get to actually attack with a fist as if you were fighting with two weapons but when executing full attacks (i.e. from monk's torment's reach) you get to utilize both hands for damage as if you were double wielding. If you would place the same one-handed weapon in your right hand your full attack would only attack once.

Simply switching a weapon from the right hand to the left hand without changing anything else gives unintentional bonus. This benefits monks the most of course as their fists hit like a hammer but every player who decides to use one-handed style will benefit from this while performing full attacks.

As to how to deal with this bug I have a suggestion that equipping only one weapon in off hand should count as using two weapons style with all accuracy penalties in place. It will open the possibility (for a monk mostly) to use fist and a weapon simultaneously as a two weapon style. To be clear I don't consider using weapon and a fist as two weapons as an exploit but rather as a feature that apparently isn't here unfortunately. I strongly suggest that rather than removing fist attack from full attack in the above situation you would resolve this problem as I suggested above.

Cheers

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

So this is only a bug/issue if you use abilities with full attack?

It might be intended then, as far as normal attacks go you only attack with the off hand weapon which is the same if you have it in the main hand?

So this is only a bug/issue if you use abilities with full attack? It might be intended then, as far as normal attacks go you only attack with the off hand weapon which is the same if you have it in the main hand?

Normal attacks only deal damage with equipped weapon even though it is shown as secondary weapon, so the inventory page suggests you are fighting with two weapons in "two weapon style" alternating between weapons. In fact my intention was to fight with two weapons, primary weapon being my fist. It's clearly not intended because you retain bonus from one handed style. I personally don't have a problem with one handed style full attacks dealing damage with a fist (why not punch an opponent if you have an opportunity) but you don't get to do that if you just switch weapon to right hand (making wielding weapon in the left hand pretty much mandatory if you want to get the most of one handed style and for some reason making the right hand worse). Also this bug disallows "dual wielding" fist and a weapon.

The "exploit" in the title wrongly suggests that I think one handed full attacks shouldn't use fist damage, in fact I think they should even if you wear weapon in the right hand. It's logical, realistic and game-wise would add acceptable small buff to one handed style. I tried to change it to "bug" but I don't see "edit" option.

So this is only a bug/issue if you use abilities with full attack? It might be intended then, as far as normal attacks go you only attack with the off hand weapon which is the same if you have it in the main hand?

If it was intended then you would get the same result whether the weapon was placed in the main or the off hand.  The only reason for a difference between the two would be if there was a choice or tradeoff being presented to the player, which isn't the case.  Placing a single weapon in your main hand is strictly inferior to placing that weapon in your off hand if you every are able to execute a full attack, because there is never any drawback.

It's a bug, because either A) it should be considered dual-wielding fist and weapon, and so should not receive the single-wielding accuracy bonus but should attack with fist and weapon alternatively, or B) it should be considered single-wielding the weapon, and so should not display on the character sheet as if you were dual-wielding and also should not trigger an attack with the fist on full attacks.  I think A is the better option, since it preserves the ability for a Monk to choose to dual-wield fist and weapon, but either way a fix is called for.

It's also an exploit, because you can gain an unintended benefit by making constructive use of the bug.

Edited by Emptiness