You can switch to one handed weapon to do CC, why using shield?

You can, but swapping does take time, the delay between swap -> knockdown means it's not a great defensive tool in a pinch. It also takes a weapon set away, and some players may swap between two different defensive sets(I did).

My eder is 1h. He has 95 deflection without shield which van be boosted higher with Vigorous Defense. ~90 accuracy too. On hard Shield is not really needed. Tbh pure tank is not needed at all if you play around with good CC like stunned/paralyzed/ or debuffs like blind/terrified.

As for DPS melee make Rogue or Barb. I had my bar hit with Barbaric blow 6x 100+ all the mobs in the pack. Looked a bit silly when all 6 of them died instantly. Not too high deflection but with good armor + passives he can "tank' a lot.

95 deflection and 90 accuracy? Can you post a screenie of that?

Fighter have modal that gives +10 deflection bonus to all your party members which is sometimes nice.

I agree with the rest of your analysis, however iirc. this modal also modifies accuracy by -10, which is almost never worth it. My Shieldbearer of St. Elcga Paladin has a talent that modifies flames of devotion to add +10 deflection to the party without a malus (only for 10 seconds x2 however, but i think the first 20 seconds of a fight are often most important). Edited by pstone