I find this class to be really cool. It reminds me of Darksun old SSI crpg

My first play through ongoing right now is with a cipher as the main

is it possible to be a cipher with good melee skills ? like a fighter/mage ? 

also let me just say this game is awesome. I think it's better than Divinity original sin (which is also great) 

the RPG is mkaking a comeback 

My main is also a Cipher. Until now (about lvl 6) I´ve played him with a Greatsword but yesterday I got a extremely good flail (very similiar to that awsome BG2 flail) so I guess as soon as I get another goot onehand weapon I´m gonna change to dual wielding.

My favourite cipher skill sofar is the mind spikes (or so) massive dmg on lots of enemies :D

Sensuki, who did a hell of a lot of testing during the beta backer stage and knows the combat system really well, has made a series of short vids about character creation for Pillars of Eternity. One of those is for a melee Cipher build.  Some really useful tips, I suggest checking it out.

Link:

Yes it's possible to make a melee cipher. It's going to be more of a striker than a tank though because they're inherently somewhat fragile.

This. I have a Cipher PC and I only put her to the frontline as a last resort right now. I'd actually like to melee her more, but I'm still trying to work out the most efficient way to do that because, well, fragility.

Edited by tinderbox

Yes it's possible to make a melee cipher. It's going to be more of a striker than a tank though because they're inherently somewhat fragile.

Semi-squishy DPS? Like a rogue, only with CC and high-damage AoE?

Yep.

The trick with squishy melee fighters is to hang back to start with, and only engage enemies that are already engaged by your more durable characters. Also pick abilities for the squishy that'll get her out of trouble when needed -- Escape and Shadowing Beyond for rogues, spells/abilities that Stun or Paralyze for ciphers and wizards, and so on. And react quickly when targeted to use those, or have another character help.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Yep.

The trick with squishy melee fighters is to hang back to start with, and only engage enemies that are already engaged by your more durable characters. Also pick abilities for the squishy that'll get her out of trouble when needed -- Escape and Shadowing Beyond for rogues, spells/abilities that Stun or Paralyze for ciphers and wizards, and so on. And react quickly when targeted to use those, or have another character help.

This is where two ciphers together can shine. Amplified Thrust is a really great tool for helping another character break engagement so the tank can take it back. My current party is me (a cipher), Grieving Mother (cipher), Eder (tank), a custom barbarian (tank), Durance (healbot), and whoever I feel playing White Ranger today (generally either Aloth or Hiravias). Eder's Into the Fray works quite well with the array of engagement-breaking powers available to ciphers, and whenever one get's in trouble the other can save them pretty quick.

• Like 1