So I suck at these types of games & everyone keeps talking about how good Ciphers are.

I'm looking for a easy wood Elf ranged Cipher build to use that won't require me to micro-manage every fight.

Sounds like I wanna max Might,Dex & Int.....but what Powers & Talents should I get?

Honestly, ciphers need to be micromanaged a bit. Because they can cast an unlimited number of spells, they are really at their best when you spam your spells and control the battlefield.

A ranged rogue would probably require less micromanagement.

Some recommendations from what I've seen so far:

Level 1: Mind Blast

Level 2: Mental Binding (must-have), Mind Blades

Level 3: Puppet Master, Recall Agony

Level 4: Silent Scream

As for talents, depends on what kind of weapons you want to use. I have a guns build with the following (I'm level 7):

Biting Whip

Draining Whip

Weapon Focus: Ruffian

I use a blunderbuss mainly for the crazy amount of focus it builds with Draining Whip. To boost my reload speed, I have the ranged buff chant running at all times from Kana.

Edited by termokanden
  • Like 1

Cipher not that hard, essentially his main power is Mental Binding, you cast it on target, make it paralyzed (huge debuff to defenses) and party quickly kill (lot of hits and crits due debuff), cast Mental Binding on next target and so on.

Mind Blades handy to clean lot of weak trash enemies.

As you ll get new powers there ll be some variations and possibilities, but Cipher mostly paralyze targets, occasionally throw mass debuff and hit hard with blunderbuss.

Level 1: Mind Wave, Eyestruck, Tenuous Grasp
Level 2: Mental Binding (must-have), Mind Blades, Recall Agony/Psychovampiric Shield
Level 3: Puppet Master, Secret Horrors, Soul Ignition/Ectopsychic Echo
Level 4: Pain Block, Body Attunement, Mind Lance/Silent Scream

Talents:

Biting Whip
Draining Whip

Penetrating shot

Weapon Focus: Ruffian

Mind Blast is the same as Mind Wave,correct?

Yes. That's what I meant. So many Mind spells. Also, Recall Agony is level 2 :)

It's funny, the level 2 spells are by far the best so far and I'm up to level 4 now. They just can't beat Mental Binding and Mind Blades in overall usefulness.

Edited by termokanden

I am wondering what is the optimum race? I went wood elf but honestly thought the Hallfing was supposed to be better. Is Resolve useful for a Cypher? I have only a 15 might and Dex and Int are both 18. I 'started' with the culture that gives me +1 to int but put me in chain and dual wielding....

I'd argue that wood elves are a top pick for a ranged cipher due to the accuracy bonus. Nothing's worth than missing a shot and being low on focus. My other top pick is aumaua for their high might and the extra weapon set.

And no resolve is not particularly useful for a cipher, nor is perception. Sure you get a bit of deflection but you're still squishy and shouldn't be getting attacked if you can at all avoid it.

Edited by termokanden

Meh i made a few lame choices like the acid dmg spell and the blindness one. I was thinking having a direct dmg spell would be nice but its really kinda meh. I took war bow for now until I can find some guns which I am sure is coming up. I did not Min/Max. I liked having some hit points and a bit of mitigation. True I should to get hit but early on it was me, the fighter and 3.. I was getting hammered with a min/max build and NO armor (thinking I would have no penalty). Ouch...

Wood Elves are best for Cipher because their racial trait apply to Spells as well +5 Accuracy is considerable advantage if you looking for optimal build.

Max you Might, Dex and Int, dump Con, other attributes for you preference, personally I dumped Per in favor of Res.

I dont like min maxing much myself, but in this case low Con + high Dex + heavy armor is much more survivable than average Con + average Dex + average armor.

Edited by ErlKing
  • Like 1

I've just finished a part of my guide with ciphers. Their builds are not very variable and their spells are also rather narrow in choices so it's not hard to build a decent one.

One other race to consider - Death Godlike. With savage blows, they deal very good damage against injured targets, they pretty much swoop them, racking the focus up.