"Infinity Engine 2.0" is here - Thank You Obisidian

I also kind of wonder if the massive revitalization of pen & paper D&D which happened with 3E helped drag people away. I would be MMORPGs were involved, too. I know people who were huge BG fans, who certainly turned into even bigger EQ fans.

Are you talking EQ, as in Everquest? I was way too into that game for a couple of years... when I quit I vowed never to play another MMORPG, and thus far I have been true to that promise. A game has to have a pause button before I will consider playing it (#SecretToStayingMarried).

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Not that I'm saying the model is good for niche genres, but saying publishers hate creativity is kind of a lame duck statement. We've had tons of good games from publishers. Let's not act like EA and Activision are the only fish in the sea.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. There were no RPGs like Eternity from circa 2004 until now. Publishers weren't interested as they are interested in volume. I'm not blaming them, I'm simply saying they don't change. Admittedly, my experience is in books rather than games, but the Big Five are like bloated rabbits transfixed in the [digital] headlights, pumping out even more YA titles while the behemoth bears down on them.

This argument makes no sense. You say they're against creativity, then bash them for not continuing to make games in what was once a well-established style/genre (isometric party-based RPG). I mean, man what? It seems more like what actually happened is that the "next generation" of these games - primarily BG3 and FO3, failed to happen, for complicated reasons, and NWN didn't spark imaginations as it might have, and this took the genre with it.

I also kind of wonder if the massive revitalization of pen & paper D&D which happened with 3E helped drag people away. I would be MMORPGs were involved, too. I know people who were huge BG fans, who certainly turned into even bigger EQ fans.

So yeah, pretty sure it's not "hatred of creativity" that killed this genre/style.

Anyway, it's back now, and I doubt it's going anywhere.

Try reading TFP.

sonsofgygax.JPG