I am speaking about DRM-FREE at retail. Not DRM-FREE through digital vendors. DRM-FREE at retail means that the game is open to more people to purchase. Digital sales from different vendors is like fighting for sales with the same group of people. Online digital people want their games on Steam. Their game library, it seems what it's all about. But I am speaking about wanting DRM-FREE at retail. The more I say retail the more you guys say digital. It's weird. It's like brain washing.

The words you quoted was in reference to like what was it, 2003-2004. But you say I'm silly because you turned my words into 2015.

The Witcher 2, I don't think ever came with a GOG code. Steam code yes but I don't think there was a GOG code. But you say they did and I am silly. To assume how they released The Witcher 2 is going to be the same as how they releasing The Witcher 3.

Steam helped make PC relevant again lol. Let's see Steam crashed the PC gaming ship. PC retail now = Steam, Origin, Uplay, GOG, Social Club, Blizzard, more to come. There is not one option for offline/non internet users. Well console retail games but they working on changing that. And The Witcher 3.

All that it means, Pillars of Eternity I want to buy it but I wished they made a version for me to support.

As I said, it was retroactive. It still is available: http://www.gog.com/witcher/backup

And available for The Witcher 3:

nmpD7Ok.jpg

http://www.gog.com/thewitcher3

I am speaking about DRM-FREE at retail. Not DRM-FREE through digital vendors. DRM-FREE at retail means that the game is open to more people to purchase. Digital sales from different vendors is like fighting for sales with the same group of people. Online digital people want their games on Steam. Their game library, it seems what it's all about. But I am speaking about wanting DRM-FREE at retail. The more I say retail the more you guys say digital. It's weird. It's like brain washing.

Are you reading the posts? Some of us acknowledge that we want non-Steam discs.

The Dude abides.

To me it's sad that Steam (DRM) has encumbered the retail PC market. You say that it's a big perk for the backers to not have DRM. That means that there is still a big market for DRM-FREE games at retail. There needs to be a way for both to live in the same world.

Yeah... about that. DRM Free isn't such a big sales pitch any more. Just look Paradox's own games. Their most popular title, Crusader Kings 2 was initially only planned for Steam. A loud minority convinced them to put money into a DRM-Free version through Gamersgate.

Want to take a guess at how many copies that sold? Single Digit - The lower half. It didn't even begin to cover the costs of having someone work on a port for every patch.

So what did Paradox do? They went full Steam only - And proceeded to implement Steamworks' Multiplayer API which has made Multiplayer games more stable than ever.

Having played Paradox games extensively in multiplayer, both before they went Steam only and after, I can say that it is entirely a myth that Steamworks has made their multiplayer games more stable.

Also, in regards to how big a sales pitch you think 'DRM-Free' is. That depends on a number of factors, but put simply it depends a lot on who you're marketing to. In the case of PoE, most indicators are that there's about a 50/50 split between those on this forum who wanted Steam vs. gog. Even if it was 95/5, that's still a very significant number when you're selling hundreds of thousands of copies or more.

Insofar as Paradox... well... I'll let that lie as it's a debate not worth getting into here, but sure, believe what you said is the whole story if you wish.

Edited by Valsuelm

Again, wanting words to be used to mean what the words actually mean is not "semantics", it's English. Well, actually it IS semantics (since that means "the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning"), but that doesn't make it a bad thing. You're using the word as if it's some sort of pejorative - I'm confused as to why wanting words to be used correctly is a bad thing. :p

Let me try this again. Playing semantics. I take into account the benefits that comes with having a retail product without DRM. When I say playing semantics, you are only concerned about the meaning of DRM and you ignore all the benefits that are lost from having DRM on retail products. I'm not here to play tit for tat on the meaning of DRM because once the mention of those benefits that comes from not having DRM on a retail product, you get stuck on the meaning of DRM. Playing semantics.

Did that guy really think that showing the Witcher 2 backup program will prove that the witcher 3 will come with a code in the box at retail. lol. wow.

The Witcher 2 was released at retail with Steam codes in the box and Steam DRM. Blah blah blah, they removed the drm not long after release. When the Witcher 2 enhanced edition was released at retail, I believe there was no codes in the box. DRM-FREE.

So time after all of that CDP decided to start a witcher backup program where you can use the Steam keys and a picture of the retail box and disc to get a backup digital copy on GOG. I would bet it was about getting people using GOG.

Non of those events indicates that the witcher 3 at retail will come with a code in the box, because that mean two games in the box for the price of one. It's not going to happen. CDPR even said that they have no plans for a free backup of the witcher 3 anytime soon.

The Witcher 3, IMO, is how all games should be released.

Digital the witcher 3 is available on GOG, Steam, Origin, Xbox Live, PSN, maybe evens Uplay, who knows.

Physical retail without DRM so the ofline/non internet user can also buy the witcher 3.

Pillars of Eternity has a Steam and GOG digital version. That's great.

The physical retail version = Steam so the offline/non internet users can not buy the game. Essential just for the online people even at retail.

So what does it come down too.

The Witcher 3 will have a copy for every single person who wants to buy the game. That's a good thing.

Pillars of Eternity has a Steam version, good great, for the Steam people who wants to buy the game.

Pillars of Eternity has a GOG version, good great, for the GOG people who want to buy the game.

Pillars of Eternity has a retail digital Steam version, good great, for the Steam people who wants to buy the game.

I want to buy the game at retail with no drm but there is no version for me to buy. Not good. Not great. I want to buy this game. And if there are people who wants to buy the game and they not going to buy the game because there is not a version of the game for them to buy.

Sad really. When did PC gaming become so divided, 2003. It's 2015, can we end this division.Thank you CDPR. Now it's time for the others to set up.

Did that guy really think that showing the Witcher 2 backup program will prove that the witcher 3 will come with a code in the box at retail. lol. wow.

The Witcher 2 was released at retail with Steam codes in the box and Steam DRM. Blah blah blah, they removed the drm not long after release. When the Witcher 2 enhanced edition was released at retail, I believe there was no codes in the box. DRM-FREE.

So time after all of that CDP decided to start a witcher backup program where you can use the Steam keys and a picture of the retail box and disc to get a backup digital copy on GOG. I would bet it was about getting people using GOG.

Non of those events indicates that the witcher 3 at retail will come with a code in the box, because that mean two games in the box for the price of one. It's not going to happen. CDPR even said that they have no plans for a free backup of the witcher 3 anytime soon.

I'm the fool for continually responding to you, but here we go.

First off - yes, I was wrong, I thought the link was for generating a Witcher 3 backup. However, I think it's convenient that you do not acknowledge that you were very much wrong about GOG providing a second copy for the Witcher 2 in the first place.

Maybe it's because of another incorrect statement you shared - highlighted in bold above. In the US at least, it is not true that boxed copies of the Witcher 2 came with Steam. (CDProjekt and GOG are the same company, why provide retail boxes for a competing platform?) I own the retail boxed version of the Witcher 2, and it does NOT include a Steam code or Steam activation requirement. It did require a one-time server-side activation (boo), as you mention, that was later patched out. I was able to redeem a copy on GOG, however. Your whole point regarding two games in one box is flawed, at least with respect to the Witcher 2.

As for CDProjekt stating they won't provide backups for Witcher 3 - well, I guess if they've said that, it's true. I haven't read it, but I don't disbelieve you. Rather, I'd imagine they'll support GOG and GOG Galaxy with the retail copies, but not allow backups for Steam or UPlay keys. We'll have to wait and see. I do love CDProjekt and GOG for their consumer-first approach.

This whole exchange is remarkable as I completely agree with you in that I'd like to see less online activation games at retail. However, that's extremely unlikely.

Of course, your whole "Steam crashed the PC gaming ship" thing is bogus. I can only assume that you are trying to say, "Steam crashed the PC retail ship", which may be true, I suppose.

The Dude abides.