Level 4 party overwhelmed on every step - please advise!

^^

On the ranger discussion - I'm rolling with one right now and he's probably my party's most consistent damage dealer.You really need penetrating shot and the +aim talent to make him pay off, though.

I have my ranger using Penetrating Shot and Vicious Aim active at the same time.  His rate of fire is a little slower, but he seems to hit a good deal harder.  He also has that ranger talent that allows shots to hit additional targets beyond the first one, though that one's worth taking in the long run.

Envenomed Strike is definitely worth taking.  You only get 3 uses per rest, but it is a very useful ability against tougher targets because, IIRC, it's raw damage that ignores all DR.   But since you only get 3 uses per rest, I'd suggest saving it for critical situations. 

I'm currently in Act 3 (I suppose) and Eder leads my party with about 50k damage, and my PC is easily #2 at about 45k.   And I only have my Ranger PC in melee if there's no other choice.  I'd much rather have him raining arrows down on the enemy, since that's where his true talent lies.

^^

On the ranger discussion - I'm rolling with one right now and he's probably my party's most consistent damage dealer.You really need penetrating shot and the +aim talent to make him pay off, though.

I have my ranger using Penetrating Shot and Vicious Aim active at the same time.  His rate of fire is a little slower, but he seems to hit a good deal harder.  He also has that ranger talent that allows shots to hit additional targets beyond the first one, though that one's worth taking in the long run.

Envenomed Strike is definitely worth taking.  You only get 3 uses per rest, but it is a very useful ability against tougher targets because, IIRC, it's raw damage that ignores all DR.   But since you only get 3 uses per rest, I'd suggest saving it for critical situations. 

I'm currently in Act 3 (I suppose) and Eder leads my party with about 50k damage, and my PC is easily #2 at about 45k.   And I only have my Ranger PC in melee if there's no other choice.  I'd much rather have him raining arrows down on the enemy, since that's where his true talent lies.

Pretty much the same. Didn't get Envenomed Strike yet (think I'm level 6) but certainly considering it. There's a great hunting bow (Persistence) in level 4 of The Endless Paths, so I beelined to that. The high accuracy means your crits counteract a lot of DR and the high rate of fire means any other DR busting effect is gravy.