A very nice game but a combat system from hell...

@Dongon My main character is clearly sub-optimal (I've picked one, possibly two talents that have turned out mostly useless), and I'm currently playing without a healer. I'm playing on Hard, and I'm doing fine. And I'm a rank amateur compared to some of the people here as I play the IE games on Normal.

Yes it is different from the IE games, and yes you do need to do some work to figure out how the mechanics work and use them to your advantage. That's kind of the point.

I decimated all IE games on highest settings.  But I just couldn't do hard or even normal PoE with the builds/spells I chose. 

The game is a bit different, doesn't mean we suck.  Never played beta and just have some reading to do.

My new play I'm doing better now after learning what stuff actually does. 

Edited by Dongom

You might as well play on Hard because there's more enemies and that means more xp and loot, and once you get the hang of the combat system numbers don't matter anyway.

You don't get more XP on hard for killing enemies. In fact, the only XP you get for killing enemies is for adding an entry to the bestiary. Once you kill a certain amount of a creature type, the bestiary is filled and you no longer get XP for killing those creatures. I assume it takes the same amount of kills to fill the bestiary on Easy as on other settings, so no advantage in XP by playing on a different setting. You may have a point with respect to loot, although I doubt it will make a significant difference there either.