Firkraag was hard, but he wasn't cheating.

Hello, 

I came up with a fail proof strategy that deals with the Adra dragon (on Hard difficulty) in a minute or two, too fast for the AoE breath and unstable aggro to be much of an issue. If you want to find your own way to beat him read no further! 

First, I realized that my usual party wasn't suitable for the challenge (after about 10 tries) - Thus, I reshaped my party and used the following set up and he went down one the first try very fast. You barely need any positioning either, just make sure the tank is making the dragon face in the opposite direction of the damage dealing team. 

1. High deflection tank with second breath, 130+ deflection, high prone resist and large endurance potions. 

2. 4 Ciphers (3+main character)

3. 1 Chanter (with Range weapon reload chant) 

The 3 ciphers Aumora were built the following way : 

21 might, 18 dex, 18 int, the rest in con 

• Beast slayer (applies to the adra dragon)
  • Gunner
  • Weapon focus Soldier
  • Penetrating shot 
  • Biting whip 

All equipped with high quality Arquebus with +25% freeze damage and Beast bane. 

Cipher power : All had Tactical meld (for +20 accuracy). The total accuracy of these auxiliary cipher companions against Beast was approx 80-85, easily enough to score consistent 30-60+ damage hits against the dragon. 

It isn't even necessary to use the spell Disintegrate with this setup, the range damage is so high. To be quite honest this setup is simply overkill and trivializes the most challenging encounter in the game. 

Good luck, it should be easy now. 

They be the dragon slayers!

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

So did anyone beat that adra dragon?

plz share..

Aloth one-shot her with a Crackling Bolt when she was at 80% health.

No, I'm not kidding.  She's not resistant to electrical damage at all, if you can land a solid hit with an electrical spell, she's toast.

Also, if you skirt around her to where all the Xaurips are guarding her treasure, you can get them in between you and her and she won't breathe right off the bat.  The breath weapon is a cone, also, so it IS possible to get her turned toward your tank so that she's not breathing on the party.  Make sure your tank (probably Eder) has a 2nd chance item so he'll get up if he eats a breath weapon and stack corrode resist on his gear with crafting and he can toe-to-toe her pretty well.  Just watch his endurance and be fast with the heals because she WILL toast your party if he goes down and she turns around.

Prayer against fear helps because her fear aura gives a massive (like -20) penalty to all defenses and means she will crit the crap out of you with her attacks.

It's a tough fight, takes some careful work and some good luck, but it's by no means impossible.

Edited by PsychoBlonde

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

Finally managed it on Hard, using a variation of the strategies posted. Edér was tanking the dragon and chugging potions while everyone else (Durance, Kana, Hiavaras, Cipher PC, Paladin women whose name I always forget) went around and killed her hired help. First came the Adragans, who were nuked by Hia's Sunlance, ranged weapons and tied up in melee so they couldn't dominate or petrify anyone. That was what usually doomed my other attempts, I had Kana take 800 damage once by eating a breath while pretrified.

Next, the Xaurips who died easily. One Firebug spell from Hia killed half of them, and traps mostly got the other half. I made the mistake of letting a High Priest live once and it started healing the dragon back up. Not twice let me tell you.

By this time Edér ate three breaths and self-revived once. I used all my Raw damage spells, including Disintegrate and Hia's Insect Swarm, and Durance used Maelstrom scrolls. I thought I had it in the bag when I got her gravely injured, but the dragon used Tail Lash and instakilled Durance, Edér and my paladin (the latter got hit for 400+ damage- how the hell is armor with 18 DR supposed to help here by the way?). So i was down to kiting the dragon with my low health stragglers. I pretty much only won thanks to Kana who summoned two ogres who served as adequate meatshields. One of them actually got the killing blow via a 100 roll hit.

Summoned units in general greatly helped me. I got brooches that summoned wood and adra beetles, who don't hit very hard but tie up Adragans in melee combat very easily. The Adra beetle actually hurt the dragon a bit too.

I could have cheesed the encounter further, I suppose, but I wanted to take her down with my usual party and did it. I honestly think the instakill moves from the dragon are pretty cheap, but it was a great fight. Once her reinforcements are dead and if you spread the troops out she's not that hard, you just need to make sure the help dies fast.