Missing visuals in Linux / Optimisation Question-Problem

nPHYN1T3

Question

Linux / Steam things like the Obsidian Cloak are being worn by my character but they do not show in game or on the 3D portrait of my character while they do in the game on Windows.

System is a i3 with Intel 3000/nVidia 540M 4gigs of ram. The game is running on the nVidia using the nVidia switcher not bumble bee. Xubuntu 14.04 with RTK 3.16.

I was also curious about optimisation. I know this is tricky some times given the nature of Unity but last I noted the game was running on 4 but 5 has been released shortly after the game went gold. Will the updates be on Unity 5? I ask because the game has only ran twice for me under Windows and on my Linux laptops the game runs great (sans visual issues noted above) but for a old style isometric game my cpu and gpu rocket to over 80 degrees like I'm runing Crysis wide open! I know Pillars isn't 100% old isometric. It has lighting and mapping and some actual 3D elements but 80+degrees worth? It kinda feels like I should be able to drop to my Intel 3000 and run the game fine much less cook my junk like a greasy summer sausage.

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

I forgot to note that playing in Linux also has a small annoyance where your camera/cursor always starts on the bottom left of the map which means your presented a black screen with your small character icons being off screen and you have to scroll or click on party members to center on the current location.

I think the cloak-bug is not limited to certain cloaks, but rather affects all of them.

I can also confirm the issue that on area transition your camera always starts at the bottom left.

I didn't notice the temperature issue so far, but I think that it's a known problem with Unity games. Did you enable vsync?

Actually I think vsync is enabled but I seem to remember terrible tearing last night despite it. I'm not sure it's a UNITY issue of just the legacy of CPU cooking all the Infinity style games have had but myself and my balls would greatly appreciate it if Obsidian could optimise to reduce the system load. In theory this game should be lighter on its toes than say torchlight but so far it's pretty demanding.

So far all cloak/capes have not displayed under Linux. Oddly I have noticed when I put a cloak on my ranger for a split second I see an arrow in my bow but then it vanishes and the cloak doesn't show. I'm wondering if there are other details I'm not seeing but since the Windows version of the game has only run once and the cross platform save sync is broken I've not been able to check against the Windows build for details like that.