Possible Bug in Sanitarium

teh_elgee

Question

I played through, got attacked by the baddies, and confronted Azo again. Told him i was gonna turn him in, and he attacked me.

Once I left the basement, the guards and NPCs were hostile to me. I suspect that's not supposed to happen.

• Like 2

Same here.

I could understand Azos assistant being hostile but he was stiill neutral.Makes no sense then for everyone on the ground floor to be hostile.

Try aggroing a minimal number of flesh folems i.e. only the ones you immediately fight with, and the one in the hallway.

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

PS  alternative solution. Make a save at the staircase. If they are hostile upstairs, reload and delete the .fog and .lvl files of the Sanitarium basement. Those is compressed inside your savegame. This will restart the upper floor which includes any loot, NPCs and the fog of war. But it shouldn't mess up any quest triggers. Its how I bypassed the Raedric's Hold issue (i.e. kitchen crash). Haven't tried it myself but its worth a shot. Cheers.

Just tried it out deleting the the .fog and .lvl files in the basement next to the stairs and upstairs next to the stairs. Unfortunately, neither worked. Maybe remove this so others don't lose time on it too?

Thanks for analyzing the problem though!

Same here.

I could understand Azos assistant being hostile but he was stiill neutral.Makes no sense then for everyone on the ground floor to be hostile.

Try aggroing a minimal number of flesh folems i.e. only the ones you immediately fight with, and the one in the hallway.

This was after killing azo btw.Is the hostility on the ground floor from killing azo, or from killing a bugged flesh golem?

PS  alternative solution. Make a save at the staircase. If they are hostile upstairs, reload and delete the .fog and .lvl files of the Sanitarium basement. Those is compressed inside your savegame. This will restart the upper floor which includes any loot, NPCs and the fog of war. But it shouldn't mess up any quest triggers. Its how I bypassed the Raedric's Hold issue (i.e. kitchen crash). Haven't tried it myself but its worth a shot. Cheers.

Just tried it out deleting the the .fog and .lvl files in the basement next to the stairs and upstairs next to the stairs. Unfortunately, neither worked. Maybe remove this so others don't lose time on it too?

Thanks for analyzing the problem though!

I meant to say delete the .fog and .lvl files of the Sanitarium main floor, NOT basement. Sorry about that. Ill ask a mod to edit the post.

You also need to make a savegame in the basement next to the stairs, before deleting those. Then load the game and go upstairs.

It should work. And remember to back up your saves.

Edited by Luj1
  • Like 1

~ Kaine

Just hit this area myself, ran into the same bug. I had half cleared the lower level and decided to check out the office with the small locked chest containing the four patient files, then turned back and saw all the NPCs were back again, the Wichts' models were showing up but the beasties weren't actually active, and the upper floor was hostile. Reloaded a quicksave from before, did the same thing, but noticed the NPCs all glitched back into existence right when I opened the locked chest with the patient files in it. Ran upstairs, all NPCs were hostile. Reloaded again, killed all enemies on the lower level, ignored the chest with the patient files. Upper floor is non-hostile. Reliably reproduced the effect several times after to make sure.

Pretty sure that chest is bugged for some reason.

I think I figured it out.

I went through the dialogue with Uscgrim. Killed the flesh golems and patients in the North Ward. Went outside. Killed two more which were in the hallway. Went to Azo and killed him too.

At this point I made a save game.

Then I went to the upper floor. No one was hostile, everything was normal, and I was able to talk with the Head warden.

Out of curiosity, I reloaded. I cleared the rest of the basement. Had 2 more flesh golems to kill near the room holding the wights. Then I went back up and everyone was hostile.

This leads me to believe one of those flesh golems in the western quadrant is responsible for this. Im not 100% sure but Im gonna test it again and take screenshots.

PS  alternative solution. Make a save at the staircase. If they are hostile upstairs, reload and delete the .fog and .lvl files of the Sanitarium main floor. Those is compressed inside your savegame. This will restart the upper floor which includes any loot, NPCs and the fog of war. But it shouldn't mess up any quest triggers. Its how I bypassed the Raedric's Hold issue (i.e. kitchen crash). Haven't tried it myself but its worth a shot. Cheers.

Hey, thx for posting a possible solution. But how can i modify the .savegame files? What do you mean by "compressed inside your savegame"?

I think I figured it out.

I went through the dialogue with Uscgrim. Killed the flesh golems and patients in the North Ward. Went outside. Killed two more which were in the hallway. Went to Azo and killed him too.

At this point I made a save game.

Then I went to the upper floor. No one was hostile, everything was normal, and I was able to talk with the Head warden.

Out of curiosity, I reloaded. I cleared the rest of the basement. Had 2 more flesh golems to kill near the room holding the wights. Then I went back up and everyone was hostile.

This leads me to believe one of those flesh golems in the western quadrant is responsible for this. Im not 100% sure but Im gonna test it again and take screenshots.

PS  alternative solution. Make a save at the staircase. If they are hostile upstairs, reload and delete the .fog and .lvl files of the Sanitarium main floor. Those is compressed inside your savegame. This will restart the upper floor which includes any loot, NPCs and the fog of war. But it shouldn't mess up any quest triggers. Its how I bypassed the Raedric's Hold issue (i.e. kitchen crash). Haven't tried it myself but its worth a shot. Cheers.

Hey, thx for posting a possible solution. But how can i modify the .savegame files? What do you mean by "compressed inside your savegame"?

You use WinRAR or 7zip to open a savegame in question.

Some say one of the flesh golems are bugged, others say that the chest with patient records is.

• Like 1

~ Kaine

Funny, there are several people who "reproduce" the bug in differnt ways.

On my third game, I saved after killing some constructs and azo. After killing Azo, I sneaked upstairs without any fight. No one was hostile. I reloaded, attacked a construct which hit a guard(I think this was the trigger for the people upstairs going hostile), killed the construct, went upstairs and everyone was hostile.

Oh and I avoided the central room.

Edited by Asmodean

I opened the chest and took the stuff prior to going to speak with the statue so it'd open the locked door for me, and did not encounter the bug; it's not as simple as "opening the chest makes the upstairs hostile," at least.

When I was trying to reproduce the bug last night by using the chest, I thought part of the problem was that I hadn't opened it far earlier, before gaining access to the patient ward.

Though it's still odd that this is triggering the bug for me every time, but not for other players.

I opened the chest and took the stuff prior to going to speak with the statue so it'd open the locked door for me, and did not encounter the bug; it's not as simple as "opening the chest makes the upstairs hostile," at least.

When I was trying to reproduce the bug last night by using the chest, I thought part of the problem was that I hadn't opened it far earlier, before gaining access to the patient ward.

Though it's still odd that this is triggering the bug for me every time, but not for other players.

Yeah, it's definitely helpful information, even if it's not the only factor.

Here are my savegame files. I too am experiencing this game-breaking bug.

I trigger the cutscene, the sanitarium goes berserk, I kill some flesh golems, kill Azo after he attacks me, and now all of the animancers are hostile and the statue won't speak to me. I cannot progress.

Quicksave: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nxtu0ikyuxpqw8e/15625190-6750-4f4f-b45c-ff598cceefda%20quicksave.savegame?dl=0

Autosave: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w16d7oqvidzrt8y/15625190-6750-4f4f-b45c-ff598cceefda%20autosave.savegame?dl=0

If there is ANY way of getting around/fixing this bug, pelase let me know. I am not willing to spend an entire DAY playing what I've already played so far.

I trigger the cutscene, the sanitarium goes berserk, I kill some flesh golems, kill Azo after he attacks me, and now all of the animancers are hostile and the statue won't speak to me. I cannot progress.

Quicksave: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nxtu0ikyuxpqw8e/15625190-6750-4f4f-b45c-ff598cceefda%20quicksave.savegame?dl=0

Autosave: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w16d7oqvidzrt8y/15625190-6750-4f4f-b45c-ff598cceefda%20autosave.savegame?dl=0

If there is ANY way of getting around/fixing this bug, pelase let me know. I am not willing to spend an entire DAY playing what I've already played so far.

You can try avoiding the flesh golems.

There's a workaround I used for Raedric's Hold , maybe it'll work here as well

Make a save at the staircase. If they are hostile upstairs, reload and delete the .fog and .lvl files of the Sanitarium main floor. Those is compressed inside your savegame. Use WinRAR or 7zip to open. This will reset the upper floor which includes any loot, NPCs and the fog of war. But it shouldn't mess up any quest triggers. Its how I bypassed the Raedric's Hold issue (i.e. kitchen crash). Haven't tried it myself but its worth a shot. Cheers.

~ Kaine

The NPC's are still hostile after deleting .fog and .lvl. All it seems to do is reset the containers.

I sneaked out, only killing the one guard blocking the way out. Guess I won't be going back in for another quest.

Edited by Firage

I've found a possible solution, at least it worked for me:

It seems the part of the script that spawns and tells the Wichts to move into the mainhall is not working correctly. Neither does work the part of the script, which kills the NPCs in the main hall ( that's why they appear to be frozen, animationless). Also the presence of the Guard NPCs, and them getting attacked by the  Flesh Constructs seems to be the cause for the hostile NPCs on the upper level.

Luckily the scripts seem to execute correctly after loading a savegame here. But it appears you must not have triggered any NPCs other than those that came rushed at you after the Uscgrim cutscene.

Here is what I did:

Before you talk to Uscgrim move your group as close to the north as you can, so you don't trigger any additional hostiles other than those that are scripted to come rushing for you. Talk to Uscgrim (the subject in the northwest cell). After the cutscene defeat the group. Then quicksave and quickload. Now fight your way to the center hall: are hostile Wichts here? Then it worked. Another indicator for working is if you leave the basement, one prisoner is running to the stairs dropping some scripted lines "blabla let's get the hell out of here blabla".

Hope this helps anyone else, it sure helped me.

(Side Note: I didn't check if it makes a difference if you expose Azo before talking to Uscgrim - you can do this after you talked to subject Gram - you might doublecheck this, if my solution doesn't work)

Edited by joeshmoeiso
  • Like 2

You can try avoiding the flesh golems.

There's a workaround I used for Raedric's Hold , maybe it'll work here as well

Make a save at the staircase. If they are hostile upstairs, reload and delete the .fog and .lvl files of the Sanitarium main floor. Those is compressed inside your savegame. Use WinRAR or 7zip to open. This will reset the upper floor which includes any loot, NPCs and the fog of war. But it shouldn't mess up any quest triggers. Its how I bypassed the Raedric's Hold issue (i.e. kitchen crash). Haven't tried it myself but its worth a shot. Cheers.

Nope. Didn't work.

It seems the part of the script that spawns and tells the Wichts to move into the mainhall is not working correctly. Neither does work the part of the script, which kills the NPCs in the main hall ( that's why they appear to be frozen, animationless). Also the presence of the Guard NPCs, and them getting attacked by the  Flesh Constructs seems to be the cause for the hostile NPCs on the upper level.

Luckily the scripts seem to execute correctly after loading a savegame here. But it appears you must not have triggered any NPCs other than those that came rushed at you after the Uscgrim cutscene.

Here is what I did:

Before you talk to Uscgrim move your group as close to the north as you can, so you don't trigger any additional hostiles other than those that are scripted to come rushing for you. Talk to Uscgrim (the subject in the northwest cell). After the cutscene defeat the group. Then quicksave and quickload. Now fight your way to the center hall: are hostile Wichts here? Then it worked. Another indicator for working is if you leave the basement, one prisoner is running to the stairs dropping some scripted lines "blabla let's get the hell out of here blabla".

(Side Note: I didn't check if it makes a difference if you expose Azo before talking to Uscgrim - you can do this after you talked to subject Gram - you might doublecheck this, if my solution doesn't work)

Thanks for posting a possible solution! We're all trying hard to find a work-around to this game-breaking issue. It seems this problem runs deeper than Raedric's Hold crash does.

~ Kaine

I tried your savegame with the beta. People on both the first and the second floor are hostile, and the statue only dismisses you, but you can move on to the next quest by talking to Lady Webb.

Edited by Suen

I've come to burn your kingdom down

Happened to me too. I walked in and everything came at me. Luckily my Pally squashes them all easily but i wanted to finish the quest. I was fortunate enough to read this post while at work today so I loaded my previous save and stealthed in. Was able to walk by everyone and nothing was hostile or forced me out of stealth.

Completed quest. :)

I suggest you try out, what I posted yesterday. Which is of course only possible, if you have a savegame in a state before talking to Uscgrim.

If you really want to fix your game, you will have to load to a state before you talked to Uscgrim. Read my post above from yesterday.

Here is what I did:

I did not have to quicksave and quickload, but getting everyone north as possible before talking to uscgrim worked. ty

• Like 2