This game is nowhere close to as bad as Sim City was. I cant say why you are personally having that many issues with the game, but it doesn't seem that others are as it would be getting reported a lot more.

This seems like a single case scenario currently.

Look in the tech support forum- there are plenty of people who've run into bugs that made the game unplayable.

Seriously, guys, I have zero incentive to hate. I've been behind this game (almost) since it game out.

Almost since it came out? You realize that it came out just over 12 hours ago, right?

Since it was publicly announced, I mean. I didn't back, because I didn't really have the money at the time, but I saved to buy it when it was released.

Edited by amblingon

Are you dismissing or being unkind to the OP, when he/she seems to only wish for a product fit for purpose?

Is it really so naïve to wish for a game to function upfront?

I am trying to stretch my imagination to which industry this degree of "suck it up" would apply - besides SW and movies - but not too many, really. A car that would spin out of control... not good... A corporate bond that would default... not good... Talvivaara mining, combining that corporate bond failure with severe pollution... even less good...

But to release a game that requires quite some patching...  industry norm!  Really...?

Are you dismissing or being unkind to the OP, when he/she seems to only wish for a product fit for purpose?

Is it really so naïve to wish for a game to function upfront?

I am trying to stretch my imagination to which industry this degree of "suck it up" would apply - besides SW and movies - but not too many, really. A car that would spin out of control... not good... A corporate bond that would default... not good... Talvivaara mining, combining that corporate bond failure with severe pollution... even less good...

But to release a game that requires quite some patching...  industry norm!  Really...?

I think its the "I tried to load it three times, and it's giving me issues on the first day. I didn't bother to check with tech support, and attempt to be patient and look for help. I just want a refund." entitled attitude that people are getting upset over. Everyone has a moment in their life where they have just had it with something and just want out, it happens. It's whatever. Software being software though, and this is a massive game, it's freaking huge. There will be issues. 

If you actually pledge for a game and want a refund after release, that makes you a terrible horrible evil person.

Why?

I'm not getting the point of the guilt-tripping going on here. The OP asked a question all it warranted was an answer. Not everyone has the same investment in this game or even the same general levels of patience and considering Obsidian's track-record when it comes to bugs I can definitely understand throwing up your hands if in the first few hours you run into some game wrecking ones. That is not entitled. Short fused? Sure but not entitled.

To the OP: a quick google search gave me the impression that Steam basically never gives refunds. Ironically if you still want some value for your money you'll probably have to shelf the game and wait for your issues to get patched. Be sure to file some bug reports to help speed the process.

Don't dogpile the non-backer, if I had mondo hardware and a crashing game, I'd probably use a dejected tone in a post, too.

Seconded. This is probably the most level-headed over-reaction thread I've ever seen on these forums.

He's not like "OMG, OBSIDIAN SHOULD JUST GIVE EVERYONE THEIR MONEY BACK RIGHT NOW!" He just very reasonably asked if anyone knew if it would be possible to get a refund, as he would like to not-have-spent-his-money, based on the problems he's having at the moment.

Now, I believe a refund is an over-reaction, BUT, I understand the quite-reasonable "if that's possible, I'd do that for now" approach to it.

I honestly believe that patches, research, and patience is more likely to leave him feeling better in the long run, though, than a refund, then maybe coming back to the game in a couple of months. His issues might be fixed much sooner than he figured they could.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

It's ultimately his/her decision. If you want a refund, best bet is to email Obsidian at support and/or contact your retailer. As others have said, it might be easy with GOG and hard with Steam. If you're inclined to wait, it's likely your issues will be patched pretty quickly, since there's no publisher controlling the patching process in this case. 

As for "this game is super buggy", nearly every game is super buggy in the sense that if you're unlucky you experience its worst bugs. Of course, there are also people that play notoriously buggy games with no problems! Such are the mysterious ways of bugs.