New Chanter Mechanic called "Twisting the Phrases?" found in manual?

Here's the manual: https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/291650/manuals/pe-game-manual.pdf?t=1427236869

Go to page 33-34 of the manual (page 19 in PDF form). 

Here is the excerpt in question:

"Chanters can string any number of phrases together into a chant that can be used in combat, with each phrase taking effect as it is chanted and lingering for several seconds after the phrase ends. This allows the chanter to combine overlapping bonuses (or penalties), something which is known as twisting the phrases. Multiple chanters can twist their phrases for bonus effects, too. Note that chants are free actions, in that the character can speak them while attacking or moving or using items."

Can anyone clarify exactly what they mean? I haven't dabbled with the chanter much in the Backer Beta. So if 2 identical chants are sung at the same time, do they stack or what? What are these bonus effects they speak of? This is first time I've read about this "twisting" mechanic. So now I'm confused. Is this like some outdated feature that got pulled or what?

Edited by TrueMenace

Calibrating...

Twisting is a mechanic that came from MMOs.  Dark Age Bards (IIRC) had to twist.  It required micromanaging their songs so they overlapped, and that was twisting.  The Chanter's Chant sheet makes this mechanic pointless as it pretty much does it for you.  You can select a few phrases for a chant... phrase one ends, phrase two begins, etc.  The linger effect allows phrase one to overlap phrase 2.  

I think this is a perfect example of the Manual being out of date.  I think the manual was written prior to the BB.  I could be mistaken, and this mechanic could still be in game, but I can't see how.  

Twisting is a mechanic that came from MMOs.  Dark Age Bards (IIRC) had to twist.  It required micromanaging their songs so they overlapped, and that was twisting.  The Chanter's Chant sheet makes this mechanic pointless as it pretty much does it for you.  You can select a few phrases for a chant... phrase one ends, phrase two begins, etc.  The linger effect allows phrase one to overlap phrase 2.  

I think this is a perfect example of the Manual being out of date.  I think the manual was written prior to the BB.  I could be mistaken, and this mechanic could still be in game, but I can't see how.  

They talk about multiple chanters twisting together for "bonus effects"? Any idea what that is or is that just outdated or removed from the game?

Calibrating...

They talk about multiple chanters twisting together for "bonus effects"? Any idea what that is or is that just outdated or removed from the game?

Well, chanters have 3 phrase levels like the traditional casters do with spell levels.  They select those spells like a D&D sorcerer, or a Cipher in PoE.  I am unsure, but I believe you get 3 level 1 phrases, 3 level 2 phrases, and 2 (not sure) level 3 phrases by level 12.  There are 5ish phrases per level.  These phrases are buffs and debuffs.  So, in theory, 2 chanters could have different phrases, and because Intellect increases the linger of the phrase, they could have 2-3 effects up simultaneously (per Chanter).  They are minor buffs, but with the correct phrases it could be very powerful.

This doesn't include Invocations that are what you cast when your chant counter gets high enough.  Invocations have different levels as well:  Level 1 Invocations cost 3 chant counters, level 2 cost 4 counters, and I assume level 3 cost 5.  These range from summons (Chanter is the best summoner in the game bar none), buffs, debuffs, damage, crowd control, ect.  

I could see 2 chanters (that are built appropriately in order to compliment one another) being very powerful.  They generate Chant counters slowly though.  So, they can be inactive in play.  However, high lore makes sense, and just like D&D Bards and UMD... Chanters can cast Spells from scrolls.  Scroll casting doesn't interrupt your Chanter counts building, and neither does melee for that matter.  

Edited by Ganrich

Its funny how it hurts me to see that you say that about Dark Age bards when it was Everquest Bards who were copied by Dark Age ... :)

But back to topic i think that description was already during the kickstarter campaign, so way outdated maybe, but not really sure.

Its funny how it hurts me to see that you say that about Dark Age bards when it was Everquest Bards who were copied by Dark Age ... :)

But back to topic i think that description was already during the kickstarter campaign, so way outdated maybe, but not really sure.

Fair enough.  I admittedly was still too addicted to UO when EQ was around.  DAoC was my next step in the MMO world. :p

EDIT:  To expand on this.  I was, and still am, very much a fan of PvP.  UO kept me for a long time, and DAoC with its RvR pulled me away.  EQ wasn't really heavy in the PvP stuff.  I only played it for a few months, and I played a Druid IIRC.  15ish years... I can't remember.  

Edited by Ganrich