I have some questions for Tim Cain!

Halsy

Howdy Tim!

Long time fan here. I've always wanted to know who actually wrote the intro to Fallout? Was that you? Who penned the actual words that have become the standard for the series now...."War. War never changes."

Also, who's idea/call was it to get Ron Perlman to voice it?

And with the announcement of Fallout 4 coming this June are you stoked for it? And will Obsidian be trying to follow it up as they did with FNV?

Enquiring minds want to know. :)

Cheers

Cutter

Midget soothsayer robs bank. Small medium at large!

Howdy Tim!

Long time fan here. I've always wanted to know who actually wrote the intro to Fallout? Was that you? Who penned the actual words that have become the standard for the series now...."War. War never changes."

And with the announcement of Fallout 4 coming this June are you stoked for it? And will Obsidian be trying to follow it up as they did with FNV?

Cheers

Cutter

I'm not Obsidian, but I feel I can answer a few of these for you:

Ron Pearlman: Not Obsidian's game, not their call.

Fallout 4: Has not been announced or even revealed yet. And even when it is (because really, it will be when), it is not Obsidian's IP. Bethesda owns it.

Yes, I already stated it's Ron Perlman I'm asking who's decision it was to choose him to narrate the introduction. And I'm asking Tim Cain because he was the lead producer on the project and best suited to answer it.

Fallout 4 will be announced at E3 this June. And you are aware that Obsidian made Fallout New Vegas, right? So again, given Tim's involvement with FO1/2 and now being part of Obsidian it's natural to make some assumptions here.

I don't understand why you bothered to reply when you clearly don't understand what it is I'm even asking. And this is why I'm asking it in the Developer's section and not in General. Think before you speak.

• Like 1

You must have some inside information if you're positive that FO4 will be announced at the next E3. If you know that for certain, you should know the answer to your other questions.

For me, I think Obsidian would be unwise to ever work with Bethesda again, but if they do, they should negotiate a much better deal for themselves than they did last time.

• Like 2

I don't think it's inside information but Bethesda is hosting their own conference I believe at E3.  Usually when companies go through that kind of setup, they are going to either announce something or show us something. I'd say there is a good chance we'll see an announcement. Might not be FO or even another ES but most likely we'll get an announcement of some kind.

• Like 1

Howdy Tim!

Cheers

Cutter

Hi Cutter!

Let's take these questions one at a time.

I wrote the intro to Fallout, including the "War never changes" lines. Another writer had written an intro, but it had never been edited by any lead and my associate producer was going to the recording studio the next morning to tape Mr. Perlman and wasn't sure what to do. So I wrote a new intro and told him to record both, and we would decide later which one sounded better. BTW, one of the big lessons I learned on Fallout was that some lines read well on paper but don't sound good when you hear them (and vice versa). It's hard to tell for some lines until you hear them spoken.

I don't know who managed to get Mr. Perlman involved, but he was a great narrator. He managed to sound decisive and sad at the same time.

And while I have no information about Fallout 4 or any Obsidian involvement, I am personally excited about the idea of a new Fallout game being announced. I get to play these new Fallouts as a fan, and so I am excited while at the same time I have no idea what they are planning to do.

And sorry for the delay in answering you. I've been busy with patch issues for Eternity.

Tim.

• Like 26

Cool beans! Thanks for taking the time to answer, Tim. Fallout is still my favourite game of all time so I've always wondered about that. Interesting to know.

• 3 weeks later...

Recently saw the GDC retrospective on Fallout that Mr Cain gave (at the Codex,) both informative and entertaining, i'd recently finished the game with Sduibek's excellent mod and yet wanted to play again afterwards. I'd say that's the sign of a classically enjoyable experience. I'd love to see Bethesda take a chance and comission an isometric, turn based Fallout again, where one can play as a wheezing old Ghoul, one of the strangely endearing Supermutants, or a plain old normie (if such a term can even be used in the Fallout setting any more.)

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!