Adventurers vs Companions?

btw sorry if a stupid question, but how do you lose adventurers/companions permanently? Can't you just use a resurrect spell if they die?

No resurrection!

Here's how it works:

You have two life resources- Health and Endurance. All classes have more health than endurance. 

Whenever you are damaged both health and endurance are reduced. After a battle is over your endurance regenerates; health doesn't unless you rest or use a special ability.

When you run out of endurance your character is knocked out and won't get up until after the battle is over.

When you run out of health your character is knocked out until battle is over AND recieves 'maimed' status which comes with attribute penalties. After battle you will recover with 1 health.

The only way to remove the 'maimed' status is to rest.

If you run out out of health while maimed your character will die and CANNOT BE REVIVED. PERMADEATH!

However: You can adjust the game settings to remove the 'maimed' status feature and instead of being maimed when you run out of health you will get PERMADEATHED!!! 

Any questions?

Edited by Namutree
  • Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Yes, it's true. I recall a Josh Sawyer post where he says something like he doesn't want players to create never-ending companions to throw at encounters and cheese your way through the game. It's why it has a hard limit of 8 adventurers.

What? No it isn't. At least not in the current [480] Backer Beta. There's a hard limit of 8 'recruited'/'active' adventurers - kill one off and that slot opens right up again. (Though, I think that's the only way to free up that slot - no way to permanently dismiss a character.)

PBJam, there is no resurrect spell in this game, nor any temples that offer something of the sort. There's a Health/Endurance mechanic (Long Term / Single Fight), where if you run out of Health, you're dead - no coming back. Or actually, by default - you run out of Health - you come back up after the fight with the Maimed status, and 1 point of Health and Endurance - lose that last point and you are permadead.  - [EDIT:] as Namutree said.

Edited by Ark Evensong

Yes, it's true. I recall a Josh Sawyer post where he says something like he doesn't want players to create never-ending companions to throw at encounters and cheese your way through the game. It's why it has a hard limit of 8 adventurers.

I see. It seems I won't bother playing on ironman or harder difficulties then. I was considering the possibility only because I thought it might be interesting to see how my roster will change throught the game as I might suffer some casualties on the way. With limit on adventurers there is ultimately no point in letting anyone die though. Shame.

What? No it isn't. At least not in the current [480] Backer Beta. There's a hard limit of 8 'recruited'/'active' adventurers - kill one off and that slot opens right up again. (Though, I think that's the only way to free up that slot - no way to permanently dismiss a character.)

PBJam, there is no resurrect spell in this game, nor any temples that offer something of the sort. There's a Health/Endurance mechanic (Long Term / Single Fight), where if you run out of Health, you're dead - no coming back. Or actually, by default - you run out of Health - you come back up after the fight with the Maimed status, and 1 point of Health and Endurance - lose that last point and you are permadead.  - [EDIT:] as Namutree said.

Yes it is. And you can permanently dismiss party members in the current [480] backer beta. I just did it earlier and created a 6 x fighter party. There is also a hard limit on 8 recruitable adventurers. You can't make anymore once you hit the limit with the adventurers.

No, it isn't.

Are we just misunderstanding each other here? 'cause I just hired over a dozen Adventurers at the Inn. Yes, you run into the 8 Adventurer limit after creating 4, (BB characters count as Adventurers, too.) But kill 'em off and you can create some more.

It's fine and dandy to link to a post that says you found out how to permanently dismiss party members, but it would help if it mentioned how to do so.

(Is it with [P]? It's not a permanent dismissal if you can get 'em back through the same menu.)

It's possibly a side effect of some difficulty options? I'm running on Normal, and haven't touched Expert mode or anything. (This run, anyway.)

Or a bug, where Adventurers "don't count" if you kill 'em before they gain experience? (Have not tried this.)

I see. It seems I won't bother playing on ironman or harder difficulties then. I was considering the possibility only because I thought it might be interesting to see how my roster will change throught the game as I might suffer some casualties on the way. With limit on adventurers there is ultimately no point in letting anyone die though. Shame.

First run through, I wouldn't bother with Ironman anyway.  With the 480 build as an example, I fully expect bad pathing to provoke disengagment attacks and lead directly to a TPK without any player input at all, at least once.  Plus the usual bugs that make Ironman non-viable.

I think I will turn the 0 health = death on, because the game really makes it difficult to get to that point anyway, at least from the natural flow of the game.  If Aloth really wants to be the spiritual successor to Xzar and Monataron, I want natural selection to allow him to do so.

Jaheira

I found her much more irritating in BG2.  Starting from minute one in the cage, when she tries to take control of the situation from inside the cage.  And then got deeply offended by her 30 second grief cycle followed by a horrible stab at 'romance' mere days after her husband's grisly mutilation (if the PC is male, anyway).

At least I could feel a little sorry for her in BG2. ...But, it's true that her romantic overtures in what amounted to mere... days? after finding her dead husband gave me the willies.

In my first run, I probably won't use adventurers at all. I'll play on normal and I'm pretty sure even if the classes aren't balanced perfectly I can build a splendid party out of the companions. I just have to see how the stronghold works. I might want to hire a bunch of hirelings to hang out there.

EDIT: Yep. I was just thinking it through and it really was only days after we found Special K daid.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!