Adult Language Filter option

Okay, I'm still at the beginning of the game and I've already read the word "bitch" twice, and now "****ing". Please don't interrupt my fantasy gaming with such things.  I find them offensive enough to say something about it, and it very much takes me out of the game.  Surely, you can be more creative.

As a side, I would be suprised if the curses in this post did not get moderated, this is a public forum after all.  I would not be bothered by that.  I just figure that if it's okay for the game to say it, it might as well be okay here.

( You should probably stop using the word "bitch" irl ). 

I went ahead and approved the post for you, lowestOne, and I can sympathize. However, 'bitch' has found increasing acceptance in popular culture, including television. It's not even filtered in this forum. However, you are correct in that there is a forum language filter. That's because I believe Obsidz thinks of this forum as a resource for a larger and more inclusive community while the games are more creative and intended for somewhat more mature players. That's my guess. I just go where I'm told and stand around until I'm told to do something. :Cant's wry grin icon:

However, keep advocating for your position. It's healthy and you never know when you might make headway towards your goal.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Hmmm... there was a discussion about this before...

Ah, here it is (for reference)
https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/70497-adult-language-filter-option/?hl=swearing

My 2 cents: People in a fantasy universe also swear. As long as it's not excessive, and as long as the language usage matches the character, I'm okay with this.  

• Like 1

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/70497-adult-language-filter-option/?hl=swearing

My 2 cents: People in a fantasy universe also swear. As long as it's not excessive, and as long as the language usage matches the character, I'm okay with this.  

Game is M for Mature, so even if it is excessive it would be hard to argue that someone didn't get their trigger warning.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Since there was an existing thread, and that thread proposed a solution, I'll merge the two. Thanks, Heijoushin, for the heads up.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I was more bothered that the words took me out of the game than any offensive connotations they might have. I don't feel like they belong in the fantasy world that has been created. I was excited for Durance to lay some heavy... ...stuff down, but instead I just got a curse or two.

• Like 1

I was more bothered that the words took me out of the game than any offensive connotations they might have. I don't feel like they belong in the fantasy world that has been created. I was excited for Durance to lay some heavy... ...stuff down, but instead I just got a curse or two.

Would you prefer more fantasy-ish curses? Like "By Magran's Twin Axes!!" 

Durance is a potty mouth, and most players hate him, so that's the normal reaction I think;) 

Yeah, sometimes profanity bugs me and sometimes not. If it seems genuine, I like it. That can be for a character who's supposed to sound adolescent, a character who is damned angry and means it, or some other use of situational language to convey an ideas, tone, or demeanor. So, a movie about gangsta rappahs? Sure. Probably not my cup o' tea, but I can live with it. The drill instructor in Full Metal Jacket? :shrug: Sure. ...But I think devs need to be careful not to waste or frivol the impact of profanity. Once it becomes completely common, then it ceases to do anything other than... and I hope you can forgive the term but I can't think of any other way to say it... ghettoize the dialogue.

Obsidian Plays

I was more bothered that the words took me out of the game than any offensive connotations they might have. I don't feel like they belong in the fantasy world that has been created.

This world is not some happy-go-lucky fairy tale suitable for little kids.

Also the game is rated M for a reason, y'know.

:closed:

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

To be fair to lowest0ne, I don't think he's complaining about the language based on his delicate sensibilities. He's make more a design approach argument that profanity in the setting is jarring because it doesn't fit. At least I think that's it and you can correct me if I'm wrong, l0ne.

Now, most of the time, I don't agree. Durance's dialogue isn't any more profanity ridden than I would expect from someone who is characterized by his vulgar, intemperate, and spiteful demeanor. There are a few times other NPCs use profanity where it just sounds kind of jarring. It hasn't bugged me, but I don't generally see profanity as mature. It can be realistic and I have my moments when I'll issue forth a stream of profanity (welcome to southern California driving), but I'm not more mature when I do so. ...But the fact is, most adults use at least some profanity. The question is when or where to use it in dialogue and I generally think the devs did a good job.

Obsidian Plays