I have a bad feeling about KOTOR 2.....

NWN disappointed me. 

I was disappointed too, but for some reason I can't stop playing that damn game...

It does have an addictive quality despite all the shortcomings.

I even liked the OC. :ph34r:

Are you talking about their WRITING or their STORY? The two are very different things. Or do you have no idea? I understand that people dislike how vague and surreal torment is, find the dark themes boring even, but that's the story... not the writing.

Technically, KOTOR didn't have the room to be as good in writing as PS: T, because KOTOR didn't have the descriptions of the latter game. The only writing was dialogue or direction for a quest. As well, KOTOR was a much shorter game, and the characters overall were thusly left more incomplete than in PS: T. The writing of the two games was fundamentally different. The writing in KOTOR never gave me chills, nor did it really make anything visualize clearer than the graphics could represent. Maybe you didn't intend it that way, to attack their writing, but in that case,

Here's what sounded wrong: You mention potential. They can't follow through. They lack something Bioware seems to have. You're acting like you're judging their work, where, from the vague descriptions you give, you seem only to be giving your personal response.

So please, if you meant no offense, be more clear. I'm sure that if you somewhat intended that, you did it to defend your perspective, but I'm sure no one here would really be bothered by it.

If you want to separate them the story is the some of all it parts writing, theme, etc. In the instance of a game that includes the actions of the PC(you help create the story), the actions of the NPC, etc. The theme for Planescape wasn't bad this is where they showed potential. The writing read flat as if someone was writing their thesis on existence. It had no life. It seemed to drone on and on about every little thing and repeated itself constantly. It would have been better as a novel, but even then I would have put me to sleep.

Like I said before the story is the some of all its parts. When dealing with a game or movie the pacing of it and the actions(not action as explosions or something) become very important. I wouldn't call what I'm talking about game play. I'm talking about how the story tries to link each event from one to the other. All games use it to a degree, but PST was filled with nothing but go to the next person and read their life story and a small clue about yours. The game would have played the same if I stood in one room at the beginning and just read one dialog after another. I'm fairly sure I did something between the dialog other than walking across the screen once at least. I did, didn't I?

The writing was important in PST not the story. The seemed to thrown out after the intro. KoToR not only tried to tell you a story, but made you part of the story. It kept the pacing(I'll admit it got slow in a few areas), it didn't drone on endlessly to no point(or very little point). I did feel excitement from the story. Chills, trills, etc. It did remember it was a game and not a novel. The NPCs in your party had more of life.

Unlike you I don't feel the characters where incomplete. I might not have their story from childhood, but I had a good back story of why they were doing what they did and an idea of why they were making the choices they made. The biggest difference to me was it wasn't all laid out for you. They made it fairly obvious in their continuing dialog, but I had to experience the story rather than just sit there and read it.

Yes, I'm judging their work and giving a personal response. All of the posts here are peoples personal response. Your like of Planescape. Writing isn't about x + y always equals z unless your reading directions. If you want an impersonal judge of their work then how about looking at KoToR sales compared to Planescape. I'm not basing it solely on my opinion, but also of that of my friends as well.

They had a good concept in Planescape(as well as their other games), good structure for the game play, well put together graphics(for the time), and obviously they know(programming) how to put it together. They didn't fail in the planning, but in the execution.