Problem with saving a game (Wine)

pgielda

Question

Dear All,

I've been able to download and run the game using Steam on Linux/Wine without a problem.

Also game itself works like charm with one exception: saving/loading.

It seems that saving works (I can save once and a .savegame file is created in Saves directory (the size of the file is around 130kB).

But it is impossible to load this afterwards. There is no list in the Load Game window at all. It is possible to open the Load window though, so the game is aware that there is a savegame file.

I've looked through the log file and see this:

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Pillars of Eternity - Public Beta\PillarsOfEternity_Data\Managed\Boo.Lang.dll (this message is harmless)
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file "C:\users\root\Temp\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity\TempSaveData\saveinfo.xml".
File name: 'C:\users\root\Temp\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity\TempSaveData\saveinfo.xml'
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean isAsync, Boolean anonymous) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream:.ctor (string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess)
  at Polenter.Serialization.SharpSerializer.Deserialize (System.String filename) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper synchronized) Polenter.Serialization.SharpSerializer:Deserialize (string)
  at SaveGameInfo.Load (System.String filePath) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at GameResources.GetSaveFileInfo () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UISaveLoadList.Reload () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UISaveLoadManager.Show () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UIHudWindow.ShowWindow () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

This is the only issue on wine but this quite prevents anyone from playing. Not sure if this only happens on my machine or for everyone using Wine.

6 answers to this question

This is the only issue on wine but this quite prevents anyone from playing. Not sure if this only happens on my machine or for everyone using Wine.

I have exactly the same issue, game running awesome with wine (still hoping to see the native linux version soon!) but i can't save or load any game, so i have to start from the beginning every time, which sucks :/

I can run the game in wine on linux and also save and load. 

Your logfile says the game could not find a file it was looking for

Could not find file "C:\users\root\Temp\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity\TempSaveData\saveinfo.xml".

My setup has this file and the "TempSaveData" directory shows stuff related to the last savegame i saved. What looks odd to me is the "C:\users\root\" part of the path, because it hints that you are running wine as root-user (probably via sudo?). This could be part of the problem, but since you found .savegame files somewhere else, the game inside the wine setup seems to be able write files properly. You can check the "saveinfo.xml" file, and if it exists, you can check who has read-access to this file (and all other files and folders in the "TemSaveData" directory). 

May i ask how you installed and configured wine and steam? What linux distro are you using, and how familiar are you with linux?

Well, I would still say this is a bug in the code that is executed by Mono.

More information:

the path:

users\root\Temp\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity\TempSaveData\

gets created (each time I open the Load window this directory gets deleted and recreated) but is always empty inside.

I must also add (sorry for posting two posts in a row, but since this forum is moderated for new users I cannot edit my previous post), that the file "saveinfo.xml" is inside my savegame (which is a zip file I see). So something is wrong with extracting the save to C:\users\root\Temp\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity\TempSaveData\

Hello,

I had the same problem and with the new patch i decided to understand what goes wrong.

Comparing the folder structure with a VirtualBox install ( not working ) I found that the save game directory in the user profile is missing in wine.

So in winecfg i set the install of type windows 8 ( 7 should work too ) and I created the path :

{WINEPREFIX}/drive_c/users/{USER}/AppData/LocalLow/Obsidian Entertainment/Pillars of Eternity/

And added "CurrentGame" and "Saves" folders in this path.

And it worked :)

I hope it will also solve the problem for you.