Extreme Menu Lag

GreatGreen

Question

My computer isn't exactly ancient:

i5

8 GB RAM

Radeon HD 5800 1GB

Every click I make in the character creation interface produces about 5-8 seconds of game freezing lag, whether I change races, choose spells, or even add single attribute points. It's like the game doesn't load any of the character creation screen into the RAM whatsoever and every selection goes to draw a file from a spun-down hard drive (my drive isn't spun-down or asleep in case you were wondering).

This extends to in-game actions as well. The game runs at a rock solid 60 fps for me until I do something as simple as click the Inventory button, at which point the game freezes as is totally unresponsive for a good 10 seconds or so until the menu opens.

edit - I found something. I decided to play as a Moon Godlike with an Aumaua body... probably the most polygon intensive character model possible now that I think about it. When I do something like pick up an inventory weapon with the dwarf fighter's model displayed, the lag lasts under a second. When I do the same thing with my giant Godlike character, the lag lasts a good 10 seconds or so.

It looks like that for every action you take whatsoever in any screen where your character model is displayed, the character model's information is pulled from the hard drive and the character is redrawn on the screen. It's just more noticable with a Godlike Aumaua because that body type happens to use a ton of resources.

So in summary - bug found. Every menu action reloads character texture/model data from the hard drive and redraws it, freezing the game until the redraw is complete.

• Like 1

6 answers to this question

I'm experiencing the same problems, both in the character creation and in game. I also happened to make a Godlike Aumaua character.

This drop in FPS is rendering the game to near unplayability. Specially since the screen scrolling lags the game for even the tiniest movements.

I am however playing on a laptop ( a good one) and that might have some impact to what I am experiencing.

My specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64x

Intel Core i7-2670  2.20Ghz (8 cores)

8GB DDR3 RAM

*Wince* Intel HD graphics 3000 (built in)

I'm currently playing Divinity: Original Sin and Defiance on the same laptop without problems so I don't think the problem is spec related.

I'll try to make a character that is less polygon heavy and report back.