Let's Kind Of Play: Baldur's Gate II

so, after giving it some thought - should I catch up to Tigranes first and then begin posting, should I start

right away since there is a lot of content Tig missed (companions' side quests) - I've decided to make the thread,

since I already have something to show. and if I abandon it in the future, well... at least I will have tried. 

a few things you should keep in mind if you plan on following this playthrough:

- last time I played BG2 was back in high school, I don't remember anything about the story or the quests, so it'll

be all new to me (I did do some research in order to pick my party);

- I'm playing vanilla BG2 - no mods, no enhancements - on core difficulty, so a lot of fights will be easier than

they would be for Tig, for this reason I will not be showing most of them (maybe I'll make an exception for the

toughest ones, to share my strategy);

- I already made some bad decisions due to my lack of experience with the game and with D&D 2E, even though I intend

to show everything the game has to offer, some things I will miss (some of them have to be missed, like the alliance

with the Shadow Thieves/Vampires);

- I will side with the Shadow Thieves since Tig seemed to gravitate towards Bodhi;

- I will not be making a full party because that's what I did before, and it made the game unnecessarily easy (I had

spent hours rolling my characters, making sure all of them had at least 4 stats at 17+), this means I will mostly

concentrate on my party's side quests in the beginning;

- I will not be romancing Anomen, frankly, he pisses me off, and I want to at least attempt to roleplay a certain

type of character;

to give the party a bit of a backstory and to tie it in with Tig's playthrough let's assume these two parties

operate inside the same time frame. let's say my main character is looking for Tig's party, because she finds out

she's not the only child of Bhaal present in the area, she's trying to track down the other one (let's assume she

only knows about Imoen, Sarevok etc. from her dreams).

this effectively means that I will not be showing stuff Tigranes already did and completed: like Mae'Var, slavers,

De'Arnise etc. I will be showing managerial stuff from De'Arnise, since Tig wasn't planning on showing it,

apparently. so, let's assume Tale declined Nalia's proposal, and right as she was about to lose hope, we showed up

and saved the day.

p_vic.jpg
meet the mysterious Lady L. (or "Le" for short): Lawful Evil Fighter, specializing in one-handed swords. until I can

make Anomen into a better tank she'll be using a shield in her off-hand. eventually I'll switch her to two swords.

I will try to keep this let's play in form of a travel journal, depicting my character's daily deeds, while she

searches for Tale. let's roll.

"Day 2. Noon.

Woke up to Jaheira's moans this morning. Her condition is getting worse, she can barely hold her sword and shield.

Good thing she can shapeshift into a bear if things get really hairy... But we really need to do something about

that bastard Ployer. She maybe has a day or two at the most, after that there will be nothing to raise from the

dead.

Even if she does pass, won't hinder my plans too much. She's reliable, of course, I'll miss that; but when push

comes to shove anyone could take her place in formation. Now, that dumb son of a bitch Minsc, on the other hand...

He's unstoppable. And loyal, which will definitely come into play at some point. Have to keep him happy. Thankfully,

that's easy to do. Bless you and your lack of brains, Minsc.

Have to go meet that fool Nalia now. Reminder: Jaheira seems to hate her guts, better make sure not to encourage

this spoiled brat. Who does she think she is? Savior of the meek, the hand that feeds the poor? My, oh my, it seems

to be a common occurrence among the rich here. I think I liked it better in the North..."

1.jpg

Nalia:

Dead... he is... I'm sorry, I must take a moment to collect myself. You have been most kind. Please, let me

pay you what I can and then... and then... Oh no... ah, I don't suppose I could convince you to remain here for a

while? I really need... no, no, it is my own problem. I'll deal with it as best I can.

Le:

Say your piece, Nalia, I'll not lose sleep wondering what you might have said.

Nalia:

I'ts a very awkward situation, and I'm not quite sure if I'm ready to deal with it. I don't have much choice

though, now that Father is gone. I am betrothed, you see. Yes, some powerful associates of my Father roped me into

that tired custom. I am to wed a brat of a man named Isaea Roenal. I think Father regretted it, but that is the way

wealthy families gain status in business. He seemed quite willing to stall the inevitable, but now he is gone...

Le:

Yes, yes, very sad. What is required of me?

Nalia:

The Roenalls, mainly Isaea, have been pressuring. They knew I was the only heir, and traditionally titles

fall to a male. I fear Isaea will take control and abuse our wealth. I have worked to forge a relationship with

those beneath me, but it will not continue with the Roenalls in power. they are snobbish, snooty, and oh so

arrogant.

Le:

Not the type of person I would associate with either. What can I do?

Nalia:

I need a way to get out of the betrotal, and I need to do it soon. They respect the old traditions, and I

think I know a way to use one to our mutual advantage. There's an old tradition, where a fighting soul would become

the lord of a manor once the current lord had passed on. You are versed in combat; you would be an impressive

obstacle to Isaea. I ask that you assume title to the keep. You will be a figurehead, and I will be a ward of sorts.

It is my right as heir to choose who shall lead. I do not know if I could stand before the Roenalls, but you, with

your...erh...talents, would prove a daunting figure.

Le:

The Roenalls would accept this? I find that hard to believe.

Nalia:

They will complain, but there is no real cause why you could not do this. Often a fighting soul will take

possession of a keep when the lord is...is dead. Please, this will ensure that the Roenalls do not take control of

my home. They are oppressive nobles and will not direct this place in a way that will honor my father.

Le:

I'll take your offer, and damn those that stand in my way. I'll see this place run proper.

Nalia:

Wonderful! Now they can't force me out. You are master of this place, within reason. I remain the sole heir,

and can take away what has been given.

"Lady de'Arnise. Sounds respectable, noble. Will be a good cover for me, it's easier to deal with government

officials when you have a name behind you. But isn't that girl just full of herself? If this wasn't such a good deal

for me I would rather see Nalia be wed into that family, a husband like Isaea... He would probably end up dead by

her hand.

It's time to leave for the city, now that this affair with the keep is settled. Have to officially take the place

over, speak to the keeper, and then we're off to try and get Jaheira's curse lifted. First stop: Copper Coronet, her

old friend Bernard should know something about Ployer's whereabouts..."

6.jpg
Major Domo:

I also ensure that taxes are collected and kept in the

coffers here. If you wish to change taxes from how they were under Lord de'Arnise, just tell me. A large amount of

the coin will go into rebuilding the keep's depleted force of men-at-arms, and into maintaining the keep and its

staff. But I estimate you will still gather, say, five hundred gold pieces per week. If you wish to access that, you

have but to come to me. As for the major decisions, well, I suggest you return at least every couple of weeks. If

there's anything critical, a runner will find you, if they can. There is...nothing that requires immediate

attention. The servants will be cleaning up, and I am sure funeral arrangements have yet to be made for Lord

de'Arnise. Lady Nalia, of course, shall remain here in her old quarters. If you wish to speak to her, I am sure you

will be able to find her there. And...and Lady Delcia...ah...

Lady Delcia Caan:

I most certainly will NOT stay here! You cannot expect me to spend another minute in this place

with these...these...ruffians!

Nalia:

Auntie! They saved our keep from being overrun by trolls! And Lady Le is helping keep our home from being

taken over by the Roenalls!

Lady Delcia Caan:

That may be so, dear niece, but that does not mean she possesses any noble blood to rule this

land. I would sooner see an acceptably noble Roenall rule here than this...this...impostor! Do not think you truly

rule here. Proper noble hands will return. I consider my home to be no better off than when it was occupied by the

trolls.

"Day 2. Late evening.

With help from Bernard found Baron Ployer's house. The snake was waiting for us right at the entrance. There was no

reasoning with him, had to end things in the usual manner. People in this city are awfully quick to jump the sword,

to my amusement. Had to dispose of his hirelings as well, they seemed like competent mages, but six to three in our

favor - not the best of odds for them. Found a lock of Jaheira's hair in there. She looked like she felt a lot

better. Hopefully the curse was lifted. Will have to wait for her to return from her 'secret' Harper job, if she

even does return. After that encounter with her buddy Galvarey I'm not sure Athkatla's Harpers can be considered

allies. Have to keep my eye on Jaheira, just in case.

Anomen has been acting weird. We barely know each other, and he already feels comfortable to talk about his family,

his childhood with me... Not sure what to think of it. And his constant bragging, oh my goodness! Took out a wyvern,

saved his whole company, defeated giants. Such a great hero. How come he still isn't a knight then? I don't like

him. But he's a valuable asset. Have to at least pretend to care, I need a cleric in my team. And he has fighter

training, there's some knowledge of tactics in that hot head of his. I hate men with baggage, why do I always end up

with one?"

"Day 3. Early morning.

Jaheira's back, and she's anxious about something. That job didn't go too well, I reckon. Now we have to go back to

the Harpers' headquarters, it's so urgent we just have to drop everything. And it had to happen now! When I'm so

close to the other Bhaalspawn. I know he's somewhere in the city right now, I overheard Bernard telling Jaheira of a

party that took out a slaver ring in the Slums. That has to be him! Instead of following this lead I'm stuck right

in the middle of a power struggle. Galvarey could at least give me some information in return for assisting him in

taking out that mad fool Xzar... Reminder: bring it up with Jaheira, maybe she can use her connections for my

benefit for once. She owes me."

2.jpg

Jaheira:

Your welcome is forced, Galvarey, you know I am here at the bidding of the Herald. Why have you come to

greet me; this is too important to waste time on you.

Galvarey:

Ahh, I know well the importance of this. It was I that called you.

Jaheira:

You! You are no Herald! What is going on here?

Galvarey:

This area lacks a Herald currently, and I seek to establish one. You will help, by doing what's right. You

know what is right, don't you?

Jaheira:

I know you are an ambitious fool. You cannot be sanctioned to do this. Even this gaudy base is against our

usual restraint. The position of Herald requires...

Galvarey:

Herald requires the will to establish the position. The High Heralds will judge if it is deserved. Really,

Jaheira, this is a matter aside. You know this.

Jaheira:

Fine, set about with your questions so I can get on with my job as well.

Galvarey:

Very good. You serve the greater cause that we all do. Now then, Le, do you know why you are here?

Le:

I simply do not care. Stop with these games and state your case, whatever it is.

Galvarey:

You are blunt, as is your life... an existence pushing through everything in its path. That is why you are

here, because of who and what you are. Let me ask you a few things straight away, Le. Nothing too intrusive, I

assure you. What are your earliest memories? Are they happy ones?

Le:

Well, I remember coming through that door behind me. Beyond that it is all a blur. Sorry.

Galvarey:

You are very combative. Not good. Not good at all. This only supports my position, as I knew it would.

Next question then. As a child of Bhaal, have you...violent thoughts?

Le:

I'm having several right now. Really good ones too. You'd laugh if you could see them. Well, no, maybe YOU

wouldn't.

Galvarey:

Well, no surprise in that answer. Ingrained response, I would assume.

Jaheira:

This is a difficult situation! Would you react different?

Galvarey:

Yes, Jaheira, yes I would, because I am not born of evil. This person is proving to be just as I thought

she would be. Now then, Le, what is your favorite color?

Jaheira:

What has *that* to do with anything?!

Galvarey:

Jaheira! I question your loyalty to our cause. My method will become clear in the end. I ask again, Le,

what is you favorite color?

Le:

Blue.

Galvarey:

Blue you say! The color of sadness and despair! It should have been obvious!

Jaheira:

And also the sky, or the ocean! You are so intent on seeing what you wish the answer does not matter!

Galvarey:

I suppose in part it does not matter. obviously this person causes much disturbance where e'er she goes.

My interview is just to clarify the matter.

Jaheira:

But you were to see Le as she is, not as you expected her to be! I was to bring them here so...

Galvarey:

You were to bring them here so that we might have them here, nothing more. The course of action was always

clear.

Le:

Excuse me, but I'm still in the room. What is it you intend?

Jaheira:

Indeed, Galvarey, what is it you intend? This is not as we had discussed...

Galvarey:

No, but you only needed to know enough to bring them here. Extraneous information would have endangered

the mission. As Harpers we...

Jaheira:

As Harpers we respect others!

Galvarey:

We have a greater duty to maintain the balance. How can you, as a Harper...as a DRUID sanction the freedom

of this person. What will they do to the balance?

Jaheira:

And what if they will restore the balance? What if her intent is good?

Galvarey:

It is simply not worth the risk. No, there is no choice in the matter. Le, you are to be...confined.

Jaheira:

It is as good as death and you know it, Galvarey!

Galvarey:

Nothing so barbaric. Imprisonment to contain the chaos she might sow, either intentionally or unwittingly.

It is a humane solution.

Le:

And you assume I will submit to this? That is not very likely.

Galvarey:

No, Le, I mean the spell 'Imprisonment'. You will find yourself in a small container a few leagues under

the earth. Quite peaceful.

Le:

You are welcome to try, but I doubt you shall succeed. I am in the right here!

Galvarey:

You have no voice here and little choice in the matter. Certainly you can fight, but there are six Harpers

to contend with. The odds are quite clearly...

Jaheira:

Nay, Galvarey, there is but you and your four lackeys. I will have no part in this! Le, you are my comrade

in arms. I know you are good and true in heart. I will fight with you against this!

Galvarey:

You have made a mistake, Jaheira. With her imprisonment I could get sponsored as Herald! But now you fight

the Harpers with this monster!

Jaheira:

Harpers may interfere but it is for the greater good! Not this! I don't know you!

"Quick note while we wait for our ale at Cop. Jaheira seems to be worried. I guess she should, since we took out the

whole Harper presence in the area. Although, in her place I would argue Galvarey's group was but a splinter cell

that presented a clear and present danger to the Harpers' cause. We'll see what Bernard has to say about it."

2_1.jpg

"Day 3. Noon.

Eventful day this has been. First we wipe out Jaheira's only connection to her faction in the area, then Aerie gets

word from her uncle, apparently shorty is in trouble, again. And now a messenger tells Anomen his sister is dead.

The sister he had been talking about for the last few days. This is some kind of punishment from the gods, I just

know it. How could I get stuck with this troubled bunch? "L." doesn't stand for 'loser'!"

3.jpg
Cor Delryn:

The prodigal son returns. Heir to his mother's foolishness as always. How far have you roamed, son,

running always from me?

Anomen:

Speak not of my mother, drunkard. You were never worthy of being her husband.

Cor Delryn:

Yet I was, and your father as well. Never forget that, boy! Your mother would still be alive if you

children weren't such a handful.

Anomen:

**** you mouth, father. We've had this conversation before and I've not the patience to listen to it again.

Cor Delryn:

You will listen to what ever I choose to tell you, Anomen. Respect your father, knightling. I am still

the man of this family and you will obey me!

Anomen:

Yes, father... I lost my temper and I apologize.

Cor Delryn:

It took you long enough to get here. It wouldn't hurt you to come and see your father now and again.

Anomen:

Father, where is Moira, your daughter? What happened to her?

Cor Delryn:

Idiot boy! She's dead! Murdered by the Calim****e fiends!

Anomen:

How did this happen?

Cor Delryn:

How do you think? It was Saerk the Calim****e. It was not enough for him to take my business; he had to

take my Moira too.

Anomen:

But why would he kill her? She has nothing to do your enmity.

Cor Delryn:

Do you understand nothing? He killed her because he could! For years I embarrassed him amongst the

merchants, undercut his prices and stole his customers. When my business failed he had a monopoly on the Calimshan

shipping routes. He wouldn't be happy until I had nothing. By the end, Moira was all that I had, and now he's taken

her too.

Anomen:

Where were the guards? Why was she not protected?

Cor Delryn:

The guards left months ago. I had no money to pay them with. Soon I will lose my house as well. Saerk

has taken all of it... all of your mother's and sister's things...

Anomen:

He didn't take it, father. YOU lost it... you lost it...

Cor Delryn:

I lost it because you abandoned your family. if you hadn't run away, Moira would still be alive. You

should have been here to protect her! To save her from the brigands!

Anomen:

I'm sorry. I... I didn't know...

Cor Delryn:

You should have been there, Anomen. Never forget that! It is too late to save her but your work is not

yet finished, Anomen.

Anomen:

What can be done? Moira is dead.

Cor Delryn:

She can be avenged, Anomen. You must kill Saerk and his son. It is the only way that Moira's spirit can

be at rest. As for your friends, they would do well to help you for Saerk the Calim****e is a very wealthy man and

his gold shall be their reward.

Anomen:

I must see Moira's remains first, father.

Anomen:

Le, I am well worried by what has gone on in this place. Though the choice seems clear and right I am

hesitant to take it. There are many who easily side-step laws through wealth. Perhaps, in this case, it would be

best to see why the law has failed so. To decide between justice and honor! Oh, it's a conundrum that would tie even

Boo up in knots. I do envy you. My decisions are usually easier than this. Surely if Saerk killed my sister I must

avenge her murder. Yet killing for the purpose of revenge is murder by the tenets of the Order. I know not what I

should do.

Le:

Your father is correct...your sister's murder cannot go unpunished. Saerk is clearly evil, and is it not every

knight's responsibility to destroy evil?

Anomen:

Do you not think that the killing of Saerk could be considered a revenge murder by the Order?

Le:

I won't try to mislead you. It will most likely be seen as a crime by the Order.

Anomen:

What path shall I choose? If I choose vengeance, I shall avenge my sister's murder but be damned by the act.

if I choose to keep my vows, I will dishonor my family. What shall I do?

Le:

I'm sure that many of the Order have faced difficult choices and yet have chosen to keep their vows. Do not take

a mission of revenge.

Anomen:

Aye. This is right. I feel it in my bones. I've lived under the bitterness of my father's spirit my entire

life. It has tainted me to the point where I'm willing to partake in it. He can keep his hatred and drown his

sorrows as he has always done. yet the question of my sister's murder remains.

Le:

To be honest, I'm not sure that I trust your father's version of events. All that he speaks of seems to be

colored by his hatred of Saerk.

Anomen:

They have always been mortal enemies. If my sister was indeed murdered then the magistrate would have

investigated. My father's revenge be damned! I have sworn to uphold the law and unlike him, I shall do so. Come, let

us return to my father. He may yet be convinced to follow the lawful path. It is not my place to take revenge. Such

an act would lead to chaos.

Anomen:

Father, it is time for this foolishness to end. killing Saerk in vengeance would be murder as surely as my

sister's death was.

Cor Delryn:

The destruction of evil is never considered to be murder. Do not these knights that you seek to join

take such missions themselves?

Anomen:

Not in the manner that you suggest. We must take these charges to the magistrate. This is the only way to

end this circle of violence that you have trapped us within.

Cor Delryn:

You fool boy! The magistrate will do nothing. She is a pawn of Saerk!

Anomen:

Bylanna Ianulin is a good and noble woman. You said this yourself before you slipped into the foul clutch of

the drink.

Cor Delryn:

You dishonor Moira's memory! You would allow the killer of your sister to go free? You are despicable!

You are an insect!

Anomen:

I will not allow him to go free! He shall be taken before the courts if he is indeed the one who murdered my

sister.

Cor Delryn:

How can you doubt such a thing, boy? Saerk is the killer!

Anomen:

Do you have proof, father?

Cor Delryn:

The proof lies in the fact that he has taken everything else from me! killing Moira would complete my

defeat.

Anomen:

Aye, now I see. Such has always been the case in this household. This is about you and only you. Your

daughter's death means nothing beyond how it affects your pride and your comfort.

Cor Delryn:

Boy, you've fallen in with evil! Step back from the line and honor your family before it's too late.

Anomen: I will not, father. I suggest no evil. I suggest the lawful path.

Cor Delryn:

Again I say, obey me, Anomen!

Anomen:

I have obeyed you all my life and received naught but bitterness in return. My friend and I shall take this

matter to the magistrate, as the law requires.

Cor Delryn:

If you step out that door then you must never come within again.

Anomen: Don't do this, father...

Cor Delryn:

Shut your mouth! If you leave now you are forever banished from this place. You will be cast from this

family and become a nameless dog, not fit to cower at my feet.

Anomen:

I've been cowering at your feet for all my life. Goodbye, father. Perhaps I shall see you again before you

drink yourself to death.

Cor Delryn:

You are nothing, boy! Nothing!

4.jpg
Bylanna:

Ah...you must be the son of Lord Cor. Anomen, is it? I am afraid that there is very little I can tell you

regarding your sister's death.

Anomen:

What do you mean? Surely you have found evidence to link Saerk to her murder? The man will be brought before

the courts to meet justice, will he not?

Bylanna:

There is insufficient evidence to connect Saerk Farrahd to the murder. The only other person in your

father's estate at the time was killed, as well.

Anomen:

But...is there nothing you can do? Surely you know that Saerk is responsible!

Bylanna:

I know of your family's feud with the merchant, but a motive is not enough without witnesses or evidence.

The rule of law must prevail...surely you understand.

Anomen:

No! There must be something that can be done! Moira's murder cannot go unanswered!

Bylanna:

Answered? Take vengeance on the merchant and he replies in kind, and the feud continues unabated. Is it not

time for this hatred to be put to rest?

Anomen:

I...I do not know.

Le:

This Saerk may be innocent, Anomen. You cannot take vengeance on one who might be innocent...you are a knight,

after all, first and foremost.

Anomen:

Yes, you are likely correct in this, my friend. It wrenches my heart that Moira's death should go

unpunished, but there is little that can be done. I should not take vengeance upon a man my father believes is

guilty only because of his pride. It could just as easily have been a... a burglar, perhaps. And if it is this

Saerk, the gods will punish him even if the courts will not.

Jaheira:

The law may not be able to do anything, Anomen, but such men as this Saerk always trip over their own

schemes. If he is responsible, he will pay, as you say.

Yoshimo:

It's been my experience that some crimes never end in punishment, by the law, gods or otherwise. I would

never let down my kin as you have, but then you are not I.

Anomen:

I wish I could return to my father and convince him that this is the best way, but I am sure he will not

even see me. He is a stubborn, vile man. Perhaps, in time, he shall see the truth of this matter. At least... that

is my hope.

"Day 3. Late evening.

Disaster averted. I can't afford to kill nobles in their homes, and I definitely can't afford to lose that fool

Anomen to some stupid revenge plan. Either he loses his mind or loses his freedom, both ways would be equally

disastrous at this stage. I need more people...

But boy, Anomen is easy to manipulate! First his father convinces him to avenge his sister's death by killing Saerk,

and not moments later I convince him to appeal to the magistrate. Amazing lack of will. I would be wise to use this

to my advantage. Push him just a little bit so he finally got his knighthood, then with their resources I could

increase my efforts. I'll talk to Anomen tomorrow.

Now we're off to the Promenade to see that old fart Quayle. Maybe he's finally remembered what Tale and his

followers looked like or if they mentioned their plans..."

5.jpg
Quayle:

Aerie! It is always good to see you! And, yes... I did ask you to come. With Le and her friends, I think you

can help me. Or one of my friends, rather.

Aerie:

I'd be happy to. Which friend are you talking about?

Quayle:

No one you know of, my dear. A lass I met in my earlier days, when I happened to find myself in the Outer

Planes. That's a long story I won't get into. She is here in Athkatla, and has herself in a bit of a bind. She wrote

me a letter asking for my help... but you and Le may be able to help more than I.

Aerie:

I'd be happy to help her, Uncle Quayle. That is... if Le thinks we have the time. What... what do you think,

Le?

Quayle:

There's no rush on such a thing. If you find the time, her name is Raelis Shai. She can be found at the

playhouse beneath the Five Flagons Inn in the Bridge District. If you can't help her... well, then you can't help

her. But Raelis is a dear heart, and it would do an old gnome's heart good if you could try.

and that's it for now. the first post is a bit text-heavy, sorry about that. also, I forgot to make screenshot of the first leg of Jaheira's personal quest. you only missed the assassination of Xzar and everything leading up to it - not that much. That's a huge quest anyway, so you'll get enough action from Jaheira. 

the two fights - with Ployer and Galvarey - were nothing special, no need to show them or describe my tactics, I feel

• Like 2
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Day 4. Early morning.

Yoshimo disappeared tonight without saying a word. I have no reason to believe he's planning something against me,

we've been through a lot, he had plenty of chances to kill me in battle. Still... Now I have to find a good lockpick

to substitute for Yoshi. At least Minsc can act as scout for now, but I'd prefer one man to do both tasks.

Jaheira still is weakened. She won't show it and gets very defensive every time I bring it up, but I think she

should have a full day's rest.

Speaking of Minsc, there's something funny going on between him and Aerie. I see him looking at her in a weird way,

staring for minutes. He's too inexperienced to try and actually flirt with her, but I can feel the tension between

the two... Wonder if I should interfere. And they're chatting as I'm writing this! I have to hear this.

Minsk:
This land is fine, but I wish I could show Boo the fields of Rashemen. We could run free through the snow, though

Boo would look some funny in a drift, I tell you.

Aerie:
You are from Rashemen? I had--I had thought such a land was the stuff of fable.

Minsc:
No, it is as real as Minsc, though even larger! It lies far in the direction of the sun at morning. Ah, but it has

been long since I left it.

Aerie:
Why would you ever travel so far from home? I--I was torn from mine and had no choice.

Minsc:
I was on my dajemma, a journey to prove my manhood! Oh, we were a pair, me and my witch! I was to watch over

Dynaheir and bring her home in... in safety. Oh Boo, I can never return to Rashemen! I am proven unworthy! I am no

man and you are no hamster...we are lost! Oh the sorrow!!!

Aerie:
Oh, don't cry. You and Boo have fought bravely! Who could count the foes you've vanquished! Dynaheir would be proud

of you...

Minsc:
You have been good friends, You and Le... Minsc would ask something! Will you be my witch, Aerie? Boo and I are

nothing without a witch...

Aerie:
If you will be my guardian, Minsc, I shall be your witch. Your dajemma has not been for nothing and Dynaheir's death

shall not go unavenged.

Minsc:
My sword, my soul, my hamster...all of these I pledge to...to Aerie, my witch... HEAR THAT, EVIL?! MINSC HAS A NEW

WITCH!! WOE IS YOU!!

Day 4. Noon.

Minsc won't make a step without Aerie now, I am not sure I like this new development. But there are really good news

for a change: found myself a lockpick. He seems to be good at it; dragged him over to Mae'Var to run the new recruit

through the lockpicking tests there. The gnome came through with flying colors! But he's a loudmouth and a liar, not

sure I can stand him for long. The story of how he came to be part of this group is also rather weird...

Jan:
Are you interested in purchasing a bit o merchandise, my friend?

Minsc:
Why not? What merchandise do you carry, good gnome?

Jan:
Well, you've the look of an adventurer about you. I've been one myself, betwixt stints as a turnip salesman that is.

Occasionally the market gets down and the formerly self-respecting purveyors of fine veggies are forced to

prostitute their abilities in the form of adventuring.

Le:
Yes, of course. Mobile vegetable peddling versus heroism, the eternal question.

Jan:
You understand implicitly. That reminds me of the time that dear Cousin Josephine fell in with that gully dwarf.

Miserable bloke, really. Bad teeth, rancid smell, truly a joke o' the gods. We used to torment Josey, that was my

pet name for her, about her teensy-weensy nose and the way that it hooked in to her...

Le:
What is your point?

Jan:
My point, o-so-friendly one, is that I've items to sell you that are especially created, by yours truly, to aid one

on the dangerous path to heroism. They're known as Jan Jansen's (that's me) Flasher Master Bruiser Mate. Now pay

attention, you take one o' these babies aтd chuck it at average Joe Orc, close your eyes real tight and WHOOSH!,

he's running around in circles clutching at his eyeballs and screaming and yelling like Uncle Sven after three days

on a turnip beer bender...

Trax:
Hold gnome, in the name of the Amnian Revenue and Taxation Board.

Jan:
Argh, not again. That bottom-feeding, turnip-hating, scum-sucking brigand! Nothing better to do than stop an honest

business man from selling high quality illegal Flashers for a reasonable price. Here he comes, cover for me.

Trax:
Jan Jansen, gnomish citizen of Amn, you have been charged with tax evasion and the illegal sale of illegal items in

an illegal manner.

Jan:
Trax, old friend. You do me a great wrong! I would never break the law. As my pappy always said...

Trax:
Enough! You'll not sidetrack me with your cursed tales again. I'm smarter than you think!

Trax's Guard:
(snicker)

Trax:
Shutup, you! latrine duty beckons... that's better. We've been onto you for days, Jansen. We've caught you in the

very act of selling your dangerous and illegal contraptions.

Jan:
What cruel fate! Falsely accused by an old friend!

Trax:
I'm not your friend, Jansen!

Trax's Guard:
(You're not anyone's friend.)

Trax:
Oh, that's it! Do you enjoy guarding used chamber pots?

Trax's Guard:
Sorry, sir.

Trax:
I swear this job will land me in an asylum. And who might you be? You're certainly no regular customer of this

felon.

Le:
Don't I have the right to remain silent?

Trax:
Silent? What kind of stupid right is that? You have to answer my questions or face arrest.

Le:

All right, I am Le, an adventurer.

Trax:

Well, Le, did this gnome try to sell you illegal merchandise? Specifically 'Flashers' as he calls them?

Le:
I don't know what you're talking about. We were simply talking about the weather.

Trax:
Curses! The gnome has gotten to you, too! Jansen, you can no longer peddle in Athkatla. As for you, Le, you have

made a dangerous enemy.

Trax's Guard:
Who's the dangerous enemy?

Trax:
I am, you idiot! Move it! Back to the office!

07.jpg

"A fast mouth, a handy shot with a crossbow and all the illegal machinery that I can invent." At least the first two

are true. Well, good thing I knew where to find a new rogue on such short notice when Yoshi suddenly bailed on me.

08.jpg

Day 4. Noon.

Witnessed something very interesting just now, while passing through the Temple District. First, some self-

proclaimed "prophet" screamed at me. Apparently his religion forbids people from having eyes. And he did have his

eyes removed, quite a sight he was with those empty eye sockets. This new god of his, the Unseeing Eye, sounded

quite mad from the way the prophet described him. And then I came across another one of these eyeless bastards,

preaching in the middle of the district with priests of Talos, Lathander and Helm angrily eyeing him. The funny

thing was: he did manage to get a bunch of people to follow him into the sewers, to join this cult.

But the interesting bit happened right after they had left. I caught the eye of some high ranking Helmite. Wonder

what comes of this...

09.jpg
Gaal:
I say that the churches lie to you! They claim their gods are present when they do nothing other than require your

coin to fill their pockets!

Heckler:
No! What you are saying cannot be true! The gods have ever protected us!

Gaal:
Is that so? Have they protected you from famine? Have they protected you from disease? Have they wrought harmony

upon Faerun? No, they have not! They lie and cloud your sight to gain your worship of their false images! I have

stripped myself of their foul eyes and I see what is the truth! The truth, I tell you!

Heckler:
You lie! You lie! The gods exist!

Dawnmaster Kreel:
Such words are a horrid affront to the gods! Surely you will pay for this!

Peasant:
Quiet! Listen to what he has t' say!

Gaal:
I call on you to abandon your false gods! They have done nothing for you! Cast them aside and join me on the true

path, join me in the calling of the true sight!

Heckler:
What does that mean? Shall we tear our own eyes out? Don't be foolish!

Peasant:
What shall we do then? Who shall we turn to if there are no gods?

Gaal:
But there is a god! There is the true god! The Unseeing Eye is here amongst us! He offers the faithful a clarity of

vision, the true path to the divine! He offers you protection and succor!

Dawnmaster Kreel:
Do not listen to him! He seeks to poison your minds!

Peasant:
Bah! What has your god ever done for me? I'm poorer and no better off than I ever was!

Heckler:
Don't speak to the priest in that tone! The gods will be offended!

Peasant:
Don't you hear what he's saying? There are no gods to be offended! I say we see what this Unseeing Eye has to offer!

Peasant:

Aye! I wish to see!

Gaal:
No, my friends...you do not wish to 'see'. Forget what the years of lies have taught your eyes! You wish to 'know'.

You wish to 'learn'. These are the truths that the Unseeing Eye can offer you. A truer gist that you'll not find

amongst any of these other so-called deities. Come, witness the miracle of the truth! Come and behold the Unseeing

Eye for yourself and see the true god that is present amongst us!

Dawnmaster Kreel:
No! Do not go with him!

Peasant:
I'll do as I wish! I want the truth! Show me the Unseeing Eye!

Peasant:
yes! Show me!

Gaal:
Come, then! Those of you who wish to become the truly faithful, to witness the magnificence of the Unseeing Eye and

the truth he brings, come with me.

Heckler:
What are you doing? Are you mad?

Peasant:
Quit yer mouth, wench!

Peasant:
Aye, if you do not wish to see the truth, that is your business!

Gaal:

Come, then, my faithful. Follow me.

High Watcher Oisig:
This must not come to pass. The everseeing eye of Helm must be made aware of what they intend. You, I would speak

with you. I would hire you as mercenaries in the service of Helm. I would prefer a man of faith, but you will be

adequate. Follow me to the temple of Helm. I will discuss what is required of you there. Do not take too long; Helm

requires you now.

Day 4. Noon.

This temple of Helm sure looks a lot richer on the inside! They must have money to spend. It would be wise to listen

to their offer and try to finish this business as fast as possible, Renal won't wait long for that money, and Tale

could slip away at any moment. I won't be able to track him down in any reasonable amount of time with the Shadow

Thieves' help.

But that preacher outside... He really knows what he's doing. First, plant doubt in the minds of the simple folk,

then offer an alternative that is "the only truth". Smooth... Oh, here comes the High Priest, let's hear what he has

to say.

10.jpg
High Watcher Oisig:
The task I ask will be treacherous but you seem capable. Serve well and you will be rewarded. Display any treachery

and it will be seen. Now to the task. You heard that fool in the street? If what he says is true, it threatens to

upset a delicate balance. A new power would only disrupt the way of things. If he is lying, then whatever cult he is

proposing can only serve to hurt those it bilks into following him.

Le:
He played on the people's insecurity. Can you not offer better than he?

High Watcher Oisig:
helm offers unwavering stability; true faith has no instant reward. Helm very rarely appears in physical form.

Walking with mortals is not the way of the gods.

Le:
And if this turns out to be a legitimate faith, what then?

High Watcher Oisig:
Nothing points to the emergence of a new deity. it would be impossible to hide such an event from the Great Guard

that is Helm. What does remain unseen is the fate of those that have chosen to follow. We have lost some of our

younger faithful, and they must be accounted for.

Le:
Can you detail what is required?

High Watcher Oisig:
he of the Unsleeping Eyes must know of this cult. The blindness they promote is abhorrent to Helm. We ask you to

investigate and identify what is happening. The Vigilant One informs that the cult is underground and close, but we

cannot see past the sewers. You must infiltrate, as friend or conqueror. The sewer entrances are here in this

district. You must suffer the filth of the sewers to find the filth of the cult. They are not hiding amidst the

pipes, so there must be a passage leading further away.

Le:
I may do this, but I am gathering a large amount of gold and would need a reward.

High Watcher Oisig:
There will be reward. Do not tax your welcome by demanding it now. You will be given your due when the time is

right.

Le:
Very well, though I will be most displeased if it turns out you are lying.

High Watcher Oisig:
May the Great Guard give light to all wrongs against you. You may seek healing and tools to aid you here as you

need. Ask an acolyte and you will receive. Our resources are thin at the moment, but an ally of helm and servant of

Torm is awaiting you in the sewers now. Seek Keldorn to serve with you. Faith guide you both.

13.jpg

Day 4. Noon.

The sewers seem dead. Even the rats have disappeared. Some walls are stained with blood, Minsc says some of it is

still fresh, some belongs to humans, some - to beasts. Right as we were about to get lost in this maze of tunnels

filled with **** we finally found the man Oisig had told us about. Turned out to be a paladin, and a rich one,

judging by his armor and weapon. Good timing too, because we were strained as it was without Jaheira covering my

back.

A lot of undead in these tunnels. Can't be good. Probably a sign of ancient ruins underneath. This could go two ways

then: either we find what we came for and get rich in the process, or we perish in the filthy depths to some ages

old trap designed to guard the tomb of some nameless nobody...

I can see Minsc coming back from his reconnaissance mission. I'll hear what he has to report.

16.jpg
Cultist:
I revoke it.

Cultist:
Do you revoke the weakned of the sighted?

Cultist:
I do.

Cultist:
Then what must be done to set things aright?

Cultist:
Take my fouled sight master. Let the orbs and their poisonous sight be torn from my body! Let me be made pure!

Cultist:
So shall it be done! Be you pure of intent and you shall live. Cling to the foul sight and you shall die. Let it be

done!

Cultist:
Aaaaghhh!

Cultist:
The Unseeing Eye is always here. He sees that you are not worthy and the blood at my feet proves it. Take him away.

Throw the body down into the Pit of the Faithless.

Elite Guard:
It shall be as you say.

17.jpg
Le:

I wish to know more. How does one serve your 'Unseeing Eye'?

Gaal:
The One God has demanded that his disciples achieve a higher state of wisdom...you must remove that which is

limiting and offensive. The unholy eyes are removed from your head during the sacred initiation. If you survive and

are proven faithful, the Unseeing Eye accepts you into service.

Le:
And if you don't survive?

Gaal:
Sadly, there are those who lack the stamina to serve the One God... their lack of faith betrays them. The bodies of

these unfortunates are offered to the Pit of the Faithless.

Le:

I would like to learn more,,, but what if I'm not interested in having my eyes removed?

Gaal:
Hmmmn. it is a sign of weakness to refuse the enlightenment. Would you walk about willingly without arms, without

feet? I do not think so. Still, the Unseeing Eye could use the skills of one such as yourself. An exception...

could, perhaps, be made in your case. There is... something that you could do that the great one cannot, despite His

vast power. Assist in that and I will admit you into our ranks and into the Unseeing One's presence, yes?

Le:

Tell me what it is and I'll consider it.

Gaal:
These holy grounds are part of a larger, ancient structure... dangerous if one ventures into the lower levels. The

Unseeing Eye knows of a valuable item in this area. If you were to venture below you could prove your worth by

retrieving this artifact for Him. Do this and I will allow you into our ranks and the One's divine presence.

Le:
What is this item you speak of...and where would I locate it?

Gaal:
The item is a rod...or part of a rod, rather, that you will find atop a holy altar. I cannot tell you more than

that. You must let your faith guide you.

Le:
And how would I get to these lower levels?

Gaal:
I have a key I can give you... this will allow you entrance to the inner chambers through a door a short distance

back the way you came, at the sewer passages.

Le:

Very well.

Gaal:
You are worthy in my eyes, faithful one. Here is the key. Once you have the rod, bring it to me and together we

shall present it to the Unseeing Eye.

Jan:
So why can't the nasty beholder go and get this rod on his own? I'll tell you why. It's likely trapped three ways

from Sunday, that's what. Good thing you've got me along. Smart thinking on your part. You'll go far, you know.

Farther, maybe, than cousin Bifflechips... although he was flung by a catapult, so I suppose it doesn't really

count.

Day 4. Evening.

He will make an exception... like hell he will. The fact that they can't get to the item proves it is not simply too

dangerous, it's impossible for them, just as Jan suggested. If by some miracle I do get it, they'll most definitely

try to end us right on the spot. But I have no choice, both Keldorn and the Helmite expect me to investigate

further, and there still could be good money in it... Oh well, I'll just be on my toes, think ahead and not rush

into anything. Where brute force triggers a powerful reaction cunning can just get me through.

And how the hell does Jan know a beholder is behind the cult?!

18.jpg
Sassar:
No, my Lady, we are not. Or perhaps it is more correct to say that we are worshipers no longer. What brings you to

this place?

Le:
First tell me what you mean when you say you are no longer worshipers?

Sassar:
I was once the One God's high priest. When I discovered the true depth of his evil I escaped and met up with others

who had left the cult. We tried to stop the beholder, but we have lost the senses he gifted to us for taking our

eyes. We are truly blind, stumbling in our efforts to stop this evil!

Le:
Just how were you planning on stopping the beholder?

Sassar:
When I was the high priest for the Unseeing Eye, I discovered that its purpose for coming here was to gain the

powerful artifact below. It is an item of such destructive power that the gods themselves determined it should not

be used again. It was split in two and this half was secreted here. It is protected against intrusion by powerful

magic and beasts that live in the caverns. Many of the beholder's followers have perished trying to retrieve it. I

know, my Lady, that the beholder has the other half of the rod! If he were to acquire this half, he would be capable

of wreaking terrible destruction!

Le:
What have you done here if you can't stop the beholder from trying to get the rod?

Sassar:
We tried to get the second half of the rod ourselves, to use its destructive power to defeat the beholder. That is

the only way to destroy the creature. The beholder has failed to acquire the rod because the gods have cursed the

item. This lets you determine the artifact's true worth... or threat. Would you...would you be willing to go below

and retrieve the artifact, my Lady?

Le:
Can this half of the rod work without the other half?

Sassar:
No, that is true. The beholder's half must be stolen for the power to be used. I know of a way to do this. Retrieve

the first half and I shall tell you of it. We have tried, but our blindness limits us. This chamber we are in is

safe...so long as the sarcophagus is not opened. I would ask that you do not try to open it yourself... I sense

great evil from it. And I do wish my brethren and I to remain safe, here. Oh, I pray that my god will someday

forgive my great trespass and restore my sight! Be careful in the levels below, and remember that the gods will

likely not allow one to take the artifact for themselves for long. Remember that! Godspeed!

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I must stop here. this quest is rather interesting, and really tough (for my party at least) if you try and do a straight forward run of it. I'll refrain from posting my progress in it for now, instead I'll show some of the personal quests and party chatter in the next update.

here's a bonus:

06_1.jpg

as for this particular quest, like I said I couldn't complete it by the way of brute force. there are creatures here (gauth) that are simply smaller versions of beholders. they have this terrible gaze attack that does tons of damage and paralyzes my fighters.

one-on-one they're beatable: when you close the gap they tend to stop hurling lighting bolts at you and instead try to tickle you to death. but when they're bunched up I just can't do anything to them. they usually concentrate their fire on a single char and take him out, ignoring the tank. 

defensive spells I currently have available also don't work 100% against their gaze attacks. the only ones able to survive are Aerie and Jan with their mirror image spells. but even my usual tactic of throwing Web followed by fireballs doesn't work against these things. they make their saves, then they proceed to rip through my defenses. I constantly lose 2-3 members to them even on better runs. so I just don't bother for now.

the quest itself is doable without engaging them, though. the undead in here aren't too tough (shadows and shadow fiends mostly, with a bunch of vampiric mists, that drain energy, so keep your Restoration spell handy). there's a trap on the lower level with a Wandering Horror and 3 Sword Spiders, you can completely avoid it for now, but if you do want to kill them just cast Protection from Fear on your party beforehand. I usually tank the Horror with my beefiest character somewhere in a corner (he uses Cloudkill on his target), while the rest of the party deals with the spiders.

you will encounter some ghasts, mummies and zombies on your way. so have Cure Disease ready. 

Jan just happened to have mass invisibility memorized, so I just sneaked my way past the floating eyeballs a couple of times to retrieve the rod in the underground temple and then in the lair of the beholder. there I would just kill single gauths and beholders on my way to the stashed second half of the rod.

once you reassemble the rod it's just a technicality finishing the quest. those beholders do earn 9000 XP each, so I'll definitely be back later to harvest it, once I figure out how to protect my tanks against their gaze.

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

today is Sunday, so don't expect a real update. I do have something saved up. it will follow below. as for tomorrow's update, here's how things are currently:

- I've completed Anomen's personal quest, so expect that;

- I'm half way through Jaheira's personal quest, expect that as well;

- I'm done with Keldorn's personal quest, I'll probably begin with that, here's a teaser:

35.jpg

- I am currently doing Valygar's quest in the Planar Sphere, not sure if Tig was planning on showing it (since Tale is a mage, and the Sphere is the mage's stronghold, I'm fairly certain he will, so for now I'll keep it to myself);

- I will also have my first update about managing De'Arnise Keep;

other than that I'm making good progress in catching up with Tig's playthrough. done with Umar Hills and with most quests in the city. still have a couple of them, and Trademeet, before I can finish chapter 2. one problem, though: I can't trigger Nalia's personal quest for some reason. maybe more time should pass before it activates, I don't know.

anyway, here's a little something to tie you over until tomorrow.

Day 4. Nightfall.

Had to set up camp in these ruins inside a structure which seems to repel shadows and other fiends that lurk in the

dark around us. Anomen looks miserable after those abominations drained him of energy. Casting that restoration on himself... That would've killed someone of weaker constitution.

And Keldorn is now going at it with his words of wisdom, poor Anomen. i don't like the guy, but he's having it rough tonight.

Keldorn:
Young Anomen, it seems to me that you have been too long away from the fold. Perhaps this is a good time to continue your lessons.

Anomen:
I assure you, noble Keldorn, that I am well-versed in the statutes and moral laws of the Order.

Keldorn:
I doubt it not. However, perhaps it is time to re-memorize the virtues of chivalry and honesty.

Anomen:
I know what you're about, Keldorn. Let me worry about training and you may worry about your own affairs.

Keldorn:
I am not 'about' anything. I've no ulterior motive outside the betterment of a squire. Best you listen to the wisdom of those who have gone before you.

Anomen:
I shall take, Sir Keldorn, what path I deem appropriate. I have not bothered you so it seems rude that you find the time to bother me.

Keldorn:

Very well. I see that you are not prepared to learn.

Le:
"There once was a man full of woes,
strong and mighty he smote all his foes.
Soon he'll take his Test,
to him it's no jest,
if he'll pass not even he knows."

Anomen:

Is this nonsense directed at me? What it this?

Le:
Just something I heard while passing through the docks. I thought it funny.

Jan:
So you come from the winged folk, do you lass?

Aerie:
Yes--Yes, sir.

Jan:
No need to be formal, lassy. Call me Jan. I was recently reminded of my ex brother-in-law, Burt Wunderkind, fabulous griffin-baiter.

Le:
Here we go again.

Aerie:
A... A griffin baiter?

Jan:
Yes of course. It's something of a cottage industry amongst Amnish gnomes. Quite simple, I've heard. You merely tame a couple of wyverns and WHOOSH, tear through the sky to fling insults at the hapless griffins.

Le:
Haha! The last part does sound true, that's about the extent of your capabilities.

Aerie:
Oh, I didn't think you could tame wyverns.

Jan:
Really? Everyone I know has a pet wyvern. Taming wyverns is child's play, literally. As children, we'd tame wyverns. it's easy since they have such an affinity for turtles. Back in the old days it used to rain turtles on even days and frogs on odd days.

Aerie:
Why, that's ridiculous!

Jan:

That's what I thought until the drought hit. There were ornery wyverns everywhere. After a rich diet of turtle mash, you couldn't expect them to merely accept bacon without eating a few human nobles, now, could you? Of course, by then, Burt was such a successful griffin baiter that the authorities just couldn't find it in their hearts to make us leash the wyverns. The loss of the noble class is truly a small price to pay to maintain the continuity of such a fine sport. There's nothing like the look of incredulity on a griffin's face to keep one's spirits up.

Le:
Stop encouraging him, Aerie, some people are trying to fall asleep.

Aerie:
I... I wish I could fly. I haven't since I was a--since I was a kid.

Jan:
Don't worry, lass. If Burt ever pops by, we'll get you up in the air faster than a chicken with one of Jan Jansen's Flasher Master Bruiser Mates tied to his rear. Trust me, that's fast!

Aerie:
Keldorn, do -- do you have a moment?

Keldorn:
Of course I do, Aerie. What is it?

Aerie:
I... Quayle taught me to be a cleric but -- but I know so little of the world... He taught me to worship Baervan Wildwanderer, god of the gnomes...

Keldorn:
Baervan Wildwanderer: the Masked Leaf, the Forest Gnome. I have heard of him, but know little. I have dedicated my studies to the human pantheon, I fear.

Aerie:
I remember a few of the elven gods but... oh, it was so long ago. And here I am, neither elf nor gnome nor human in my beliefs but a -- a hodge-podge of them all... Am I wrong to be that way, Keldorn?

Keldorn:
Wrong? No, to some you be the ideal. You have dedicated yourself to the Church in all its forms and to that purest form: you own heart.

Aerie:
My heart?

Keldorn:
We all have a tendency to divide the pantheons, to pray to deities that are easiest to appease or have the greatest impact on us and then ignore the rest... Your life has not been easy, Aerie, but it has taught you much, in its own way.

Aerie:
Oh thank you, Keldorn... One of these days you'll have to teach me all the things you say I've learned.

Keldorn:
Or you me, Aerie. Or you me...

Le:
"There was once a knight pure of heart,
from his wife he is always apart.
Has his heart grown colder
as his deeds grew bolder?
What is finished can never restart."
Now go to sleep, all of you. Except for you, Sir Keldorn - you're on first watch.

Walsingham said:

Are the forum members gonna be able to get in on this as party members like Tigs? Or you just sticking with the companions from the game?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I guess you're right, the biggest attraction in Tig's LP is the interaction between party members, and how they tackle the various battles. but it's also quite time consuming typing all the quest dialogues, some of them have huge amounts of text. so I ignore quests that I know you can look up in Tig's thread. 

Are the forum members gonna be able to get in on this as party members like Tigs? Or you just sticking with the companions from the game?

I'm sticking with NPCs. you see, last time I played BG I had a custom party and missed all of the party chatter, all personal quests, romances etc. I'm using this opportunity to experience it for myself. 

also, I just steamrolled through the whole game with my custom party paying no attention to quests and their dialogues. this is why I try to show all the dialogues here, because for me this is the first time that I read them, and it's kind of cool trying to analyze the writing

Walsingham said:

Cool beans. BG2 is big enough for many LPs and mine's been on hold for a long time. Feel free to do whatever you find entertaining. :)

Last time we saw our heroes they were navigating ancient ruins deep below the surface. Just to remind you: we're on

a quest to find a powerful ancient artifact that will help us destroy a beholder creature.

19.jpg
Guardian:
Time is with you and you travel through it and all the while it moves away. Time goes on with and without you,

though duty may make it wait. The bridge is not stable, and the end changes place. Call forth the name to summon the

path. Choose the most difficult step on the bridge.

Le:
The current one, for it alone is my choice.

Guardian:
The current step may be your first and may also become your last. The other two are abstract; this one is yours to

choose and shape, though duty may force the choosing. You have summoned the path, and may join the guarding. Duty

awaits you.

Day 5. Dawn.

Or is it dawn? Can't really tell, it's been a while since I last saw the sun, or the moon.

And what in the Hells were those green things?! They looked like beholders to me, but smaller. Good thing they don't

have the power of True Sight, we don't have an artifact that could destroy them yet.  Jan can be really useful

sometimes with his illusions. Saved us a lot of trouble, by enabling us to sneak by all these monsters and shadows

undetected.

I can see a big structure up ahead. There are people there, or so it seems. Children too... Once Jan is done

disarming that trap on the bridge we'll try and negotiate with them. Though, I have to wonder, how is it that they

have been able to stay alive all this time, with the creatures guarding all the exits? Have to be on our guard...

20.jpg
Diseased One:
We are the guardians. We guard the temple. This is very important becuase every few hundred years someone almost

wanders this way. We have forgotten what it is that we guard, we have forgotten how many generations we have been

here, and we have forgotten what it is to have a purpose.

Aerie: But you must be serving some greater plan. Who is this temple dedicated to?

Diseased One:
The temple? It has been so long since we have uttered the god's name it has been forgotten by most. What loyalty do

we owe a creature that would condemn us to this?

Le:
Then why do you stay?

Diseased One:
We cannot leave. We cannot even die. We are born again in an endless recycling of our souls. We learn over and over

again that we are condemned to a fate we no longer want.

Aerie:
And what is this disease you are afflicted with?

Diseased One:
It is the decay of our minds and souls. We grow to hate the power that sustains us, so it rots us from the inside.

There is no cure. There is no escape. There is no end.

Keldorn:
If you are too weak to free yourselves I should try to.

Diseased One:
Do what you will; there is no escape for us. We have accepted this. We teach it to the newly young, who then teach

it to the old that die and are reborn. The deal which placed us here has been followed to the letter, and we are

never to be released from service no matter how pointless the task. You will fail. You cannot help but fail. We know

this. We expect nothing other.

Anomen:
Is there nothing that can be done? Have you petitioned your lord?

Diseased One:
We cannot petition the unknown. We have not seen a sign for ages and his name is lost to us now. No, nothing is

directed at the temple except loathing. Take what you will. We are guardians in name only. We might as well be

simple mindless skeletons.

Le:
Let's go inside and have a look, then. Since these poor bastards don't mind. Be ready for anything, there's a reason

why they can't enter the temple anymore.

21.jpg
Le:
Don't attack it! It's a trick! It wants us to attack it. Aerie, Anomen, cast something that works against demons!

... What? Look, it's injured, try casting a cure spell on it! ... Trust me, it's a hunch, just try it! ... Haha, it

worked! That's right, demon, your tricks don't work on us!

22.jpg
...provide for their lives. This was to be for all time.

Le:
There must be an end. It has been so long they do not even recall your name.

Then it is little wonder I cannot defeat the beast. It is their loathing and pathos, and it has become their object

of worship, whether they know it or not. The time has passed. I have naught here, and will not again. Even the great

device has waned in power, and is not so epic a danger as once I thought.

Anomen:
This is a god, then, or its avatar? Weakened by lack of faith... and the device that the beholder seeks no longer

has great power. I wonder if the beholder knows this?

I weep for my children. Their hate sustains this place, though they would intend otherwise. Had they not thought of

me at all I would have perished, and soon after so would they.

Le:
Is that the end you envision? Death to all that follow you?

Death would be welcome to them. Not the death they have now, wherein thge spirit is still bound to earth, but true

death, where they would join me in the Keep of the Eternal Sun. The letter of the bargain was that I protect the

great device until the end of time. The creator races were very specific. I will reinterpret the words, for it is

surely the end of MY time. The intent of the bargain was that the great device would not be used again. If it is

indeed the 'end of time', then my last act should be to destroy it. I have not the power to do so.

Le:
It is needed first. Perhaps we could help each other?

Yes, I see in your mind the way to release this place. You seek the great device for another, though you owe them no

allegiance and they intend to kill you. The cause is simple. You will take the great device, the piece that I

possess, and you shall combine it with the piece the creature already has. The assembled rod would surely destroy

the beast. You must use the item upon the beast, and then return it to me. Use it but once, or you will perish under

its power. Tell my people you carry the piece so that you might deplete it; that you go to restore its components

and dispose of it as a whole. My people must know I intend to destroy it... but more, they must know I intend to end

their service. This simple act of bringing together the two parts of the rod will instill a small amount of faith,

for an instant. If they are in my presence, such an instant will allow me to destroy the artifact.

Le:
What do I get out of this?

The destruction of a beast that is using you. I know not if you know its nature, but you will stand little chance

against the thing without the great device. No, you must do this for me. It is in your best interest. Use the item

once with my blessing to ward you against harm. Return as though at my bidding and you will free my people. Do this.

Le:
Give me the device.

Take it, and plant the seed of hope within my followers. They may not believe you now, but when you return they will

perhaps have a spark.

Diseased One:
Have you enjoyed your visit? Of course you found nothing and of course you will leave empty handed. There is...

you... You have the great device! What are you doing with that? It cannot be moved! It has not been moved in a

millenia!

Le:
It is the will of your god that it be taken from this place and weakened!

Diseased One:
I do not believe you. Nothing has changed here in ages. If you have the great device it is only because our god is

weaker than we imagined.

Le:
You will see. It is to be destroyed when I return. You will be free of your duty.

Diseased One:
Nothing changes here. You will not return. We will not be freed. There is nothing to lend our faith to but hate and

loathing. Go. It is the last we will see of you.

Day 5.

I just want to get out of this place already. I can't bear the though of going back down into those ruins again. I

hope Jan has more of those invisibility spells ready. I'm too tired to fight more of the shadows and apparitions...

And I hope to whatever god we just saw this rod, this "great device" works, and that beholder thing gets destroyed

on the spot. I'm not sure we can take down something that powerful.

Sassar:
Is...is that you? Have you returned successful?

Le:
Yes. I have half of the rod here with me.

Sassar:
Most excellent, my Lady! Most wonderful! Let me tell you, then, how the second half can be acquired. The Unseeing

Eye is in a great pit in the center of the cult compound. You cannot enter the pit by the stairs--the beholder's

minions would slay you. But you must get into the pit. There is a niche where the beholder stores his

treasures...including the rod. There is a safe way to get to that niche. One of our friends is still in the cult.

You must approach him and say the phrase 'the eye is blind'. He will know who you are and be able to help you. You

will find him by the Pit of the Faithless...do hurry, my Lady! The beholder continues to mesmerize and murder the

innocent even as we speak!

Anomen:
We shall go immediately and locate this man you speak of.

Sassar:
Praise the gods! I wish you well my Lady! Remember, do not speak to Gaal. If he senses that you have half of the

rod, the plan is doomed. Speak only to Tad!

Day 5.

That blind fool was full of crap! Taking the stairs into the pit would've led us straight to the rod! Instead we

took the "scenic route" and had to fight a bunch of monsters. How I wish I slapped that old bastard right across his

stupid face!

Turned out the hole Tad showed us is used to dispose of bodies. That is great because I just love fighting the

undead. NOT!

Good thing we have two clerics with us. Turn Undead does wonders. We basically had them avoid us all the way through

their little town. Poor bastards, Anomen insisted we cleared the whole thing.

23.jpg

And of course the tunnels, the beholder's lair. It smelled like ass in there. I am still a lady, for gods' sake,

it's unbecoming of me to crawl through sewers, corpses and beholder ****. Again, Jan's magic saved the day, I didn't

want to stay there longer than necessary. Found the second half, assembled it; the stupid creature sensed it and

came rushing in, just to get fried by the thing. Unfortunately, "the great device" didn't kill it outright. It isn't

so great after all. That's a good thing too, since I won't feel bad destroying it.

Ah, might as well return it to the temple. One more descend and we're home free. First thing I do after we get out

of this hell hole is take a bath. I'll get the best room the Cop has to offer, all for myself. We're swimming in

gold anyway, I can buy half the town already. This adventuring business is sure profitable.

24.jpg

Diseased One:
You return? Why? Why have you come back here? You brought back the great device?

Le:
I have said it is the will of your lord. It is depleted, and is to be destroyed.

Diseased One:
You lie! You must! There is no hope for us here! It has been ages since any sign or change!

Le:
And that age is over. Is it so hard to fathom? It is simply time for the end.

Diseased One:

This cannot be. You cannot be the herald of change. It is not possible. I... I must see for myself. I

must hear the word. We all must.

Diseased One:
There is nothing here. There is never anything her e but the stench of our hate.

Le:
Why should he come to you? Do you bother to offer his name in tribute?

Diseased One:
His name has not been spoken outside of a curse for a generation. There has been no sign, and there has been no

point.

Le:
I have given the sign. What will you do with it?

Disesed One:
I will... I ...

25.jpg
Diseased One:
Please... we have need of you.

I hear. You who have suffered, who still suffer. The time is at an end. Letter of the law states that we guard until

the end of time. our time has ended.

Diseased One:
Then... what is left to do?

Nothing. Your task is done. You will all sit by the side of Amaunator in the Keep of the Eternal Sun. The old

enemies are gone, and duty is well enough fulfilled.

Diseased One:
Praise be to the keeper of time, that he should let it end for the just.

This is the end of things. Rest your mind in my heart. Rest.

Day 5.

That was... interesting. All we have to do now is go back and finish off Gaal and his minions. Can't leave the fool

alive, who knows what he might do now that his "god" is dead...

26.jpg

Walsingham said:

sorry, I promised to show the personal quests, but it's almost midnight here, and I just don't have the will to continue with the updates today.

tomorrow.

here's a small bonus, though.

27.jpg

Miranda:

You were deep into your cups that eve, Nirkhas. Blame me not if you have no memory of the event.

Talon Nirkhas:
I...I see. What is it exactly that you want?

Miranda:

I want you to take responsibility for your child, foolish man.

Lanie:

(sight) Mommy, I don't like this daddy. I liked the other daddies better.

Miranda:
Hush, child!

Talon Nirkhas:

What's this?!

Miranda:

Heh heh...oh, nothing, Talon Nirkhas. A simple mistake, perhaps, on my part. Please do excuse me. (You are in SUCH trouble, girl!)

Talon Nirkhas:

I see. Talos' blessing on you, then, and...er...good day.

Walsingham said:

BGMain_2014_07_04_23_40_22_164.jpg

Jaheira:
It was Galvarey; he had me bring my companion there on the pretense of determining her danger, but he had no

intention of letting Le leave once there.

Reviane:
The Harpers know only that there was an attack, and Galvarey is dead. The loss of such a promising person sent waves

through the ranks and...

Jaheira:
Bah! He was a fool bent on advancing his own station! His intent was to use Le as a trophy, hoping to gain enough

influence to become a Herald!

Reviane:
This seems far-fetched, Jaheira. You are well known to have hated Galvarey... and why should this woman command such

value?

Le:
It is your choice to tell her or not, Jaheira. I would prefer my background kept secret, but I leave it to your

discretion.

Jaheira:

As you wish. Reviane, Le is of interest because she is one of the Children. Galvarey wished to capitalize

on the fear around the prophecies of old.

Reviane:
This is a Bhaal child?! And you trust her over one of your own?

Jaheira:
You must do as you will, Reviane. I have told you my circumstance, there is little more for me to say.

Le:
Stand down your weapons, Jaheira. We need not shed any blood here today.

Jaheira:
I will not draw arms against you, Reviane. This has been a huge mistake, and I will not be party to making another.

Reviane:
The evidence is obvious, Jaheira. My fellows are dead and you admit to the killing. You travel with Le, who is no

saint... I must do this. I am sorry.

Jaheira:
As am I, Reviane.

Day 6. Morning.

Jaheira is one cold bitch! When that Reviane drew her sword on me, Jaheira just lost it. I saw it in Jaheira's eyes,

it was blood lust. This whole Galvarey business really seems to have turned her whole world upside down.

Regardless, other Harpers will come to seek out Reviane's killer. And when we dispose of them, others yet will come

to avenge them. I didn't need another enemy. But if it must be so, a few more bodies won't make a difference.

While leaving the scene of our fight with the Harpers we had to fall back to the Shadow Thieves' safe house, to

avoid being arrested by Amnish guards. Conveniently enough a mage was already hiding there. And turns out he knows

who I am, and what's more - he knows Tale. They used to be companions back North. I couldn't pass up the opportunity

and secured his services. Had to get rid of Aerie and Minsc, since Minsc hates Edwin's guts. They have a bad history

between them. Whatever, I was getting tired of those two. I rather like this Red Wizard. Arrogant, but very

intelligent. I could use an ally like he.

Although, not everybody is as captivated by Edwin as I am...

31.jpg

Day 6. Evening.

Spent the whole day resting and making sure no Harpers were following us. In the evening decided to drop by

Keldorn's estate, turns out he rarely visits his home, and I had business in the district anyway. But I certainly

didn't expect to witness what happened when we finally got inside his house... This bad luck streak will never end,

I sometimes think.

32.jpg
35.jpg
BGMain_2014_07_05_17_11_28_014.jpg

Keldorn:
Ah, my sweet Vesper. How is your schoolwork coming? The priests are still kind to you for my sake?

Vesper:
Yes, father.

Keldorn:
...Good, good, that's good to hear. And Leona, the boys are letting you play with them now? They're not teasing you

anymore?

Leona:
Not when the priests are there to hear it.

Keldorn:
Good, good, that's good...

Leona:
Mother, can we go now?

Lady Maria:
Of course, dears. Go on back to the sitting room while your father and I talk.

So who are these? Heathen you converted in Calimport, traveling pilgrims you stumbled across in Saradush?

Keldorn:
Maria, this is Le. We are searching for her childhood companion who-

Lady Maria:
I don't care, Keldorn! It has been two months since you were here last, and then it was barely for a day! Not even

enough to leave your scent about this place...

Keldorn:
The work of the Order must be done, Maria. You know if I had my choice I would be here.

Lady Maria:
Would you? Would you really? The guild house is right here in the city but even then I never see you. It's always

Radiant Heart this, Radiant Heart that! What about me...what about my heart, Keldorn? What if I don't love you

anymore?

Keldorn:
Maria?

Lady Maria:
What if the girls can't live without a father anymore? What if I can't live without a husband?

Keldorn:
You do not love me anymore? ...I ...I have always loved you and I always shall. However well I hide it, every day I

spend without you is a day that's lost forever. I love you like I love the Church but the Church is the harsher

taskmaster...we knew that when we married.

Lady Maria:
I know, I know, and I love you in the same fashion, with all my heart...

Keldorn:
Then if we have love, Maria, what could ever come between us?

Lady Maria:
I... I've been seeing another man... The children and the servants already know... He -- He took the girls out to

the circus, twice... oh, Keldorn...

Keldorn:
You... You what? What is his name?!

Lady Maria:
William -- Sir William of Thorpe... I beg of you, don't hurt him, Keldorn. If I can't have you, at least let me have

something!

Anomen:
This... this is bad, Le. For Maria to have relations with another man is punishable by imprisonment. Keldorn must be

tearing himself up, inside...

Keldorn:
...Go--Go to your daughters. To look at you right now, Maria... To look at you is to go mad.

Curse the dictates of honor! ...Oh, the very gods demand that I bring this case before the courts. Sir William shall

be hung and my love imprisoned. There is no other outcome.

Le:
Perhaps you should confront Sir William about the matter.

Keldorn:
Sir William of Thorpe... He's a foreign noble establishing trade here in Athkatla. He was a good man -- at least I

always thought so until... until now. Oh, Le, nothing is clear to me anymore... Come, I know of him and he is often

at the Mithrest in Waukeen's Promenade...let us go and see what sense we can make of this.

BGMain_2014_07_05_17_26_21_919.jpg

Keldorn:
...spun gold that is her hair? What do you wish, Sir William? To have a child that is not even yours?

Sir William of Thorpe:
Hmph! Unlikely -- I have been a spent wick for many years. We sought some beauty in the midst of all her pain. I

wish I could say you would have done the same.

Keldorn:
What am I to do with you? You show no remorse yet, at the same time, you are so devoid of malice. What am I to do at

all?

Sir William of Thorpe:
Lady Maria loves you deeply, but without expression love withers and dies. I was but a single drop of moisture, you

are the oasis for which she searches. Love her, and I will be but wind-borne dust.

Keldorn:
Are you asking for my forgiveness?

Sir William of Thorpe:
I am not fool enough to ask for that, m'lord. I'd much rather think that someday you will thank me.

Keldorn:
I once believed that with age would come wisdom, but every day I seem to doubt it more... Much as it pains me to

admit it, Sir William is right. It is time I spoke with my wife.

Le:
Then let us make our way to your estate and bring some closure to this turmoil.

Keldorn:
Thank you for both your understanding and your friendship, m'Lady. Come...let us be off to my estate so that I may

meet with Maria and put this behind me.

43.jpg
Le:

Okay, okay, you have a day but after that I'm going to need your help.

Keldorn:
A day is more than we have had in years, Le. It's not perfect but it's a start.

Lady Maria:
And when Le's friend is found...?

Keldorn:
It shall be my final quest. In fact, I shall submit my resignation to the Order this very week... Le, you know where

to find me tomorrow... right here at my estate.

Day 6. Evening.

Since Keldorn is busy with his wife and all, I decided to travel to my Hold to check up on things and collect my

weekly money. We're still a few hours away, but I've had a chance to see my lands and my peasants. Things are

looking rather well. Things seem to be going back to normal. But I really need to recruit more peasants into the

Hold's guard. One coordinated attack while I'm not here, and I'll have to secure it yet again...

44.jpg
45.jpg
Tolmas Bendelia:
You're responsible for the safety of this area... these fiends burned my caravan and took all my goods! I demand

restitution, and a guarantee that these bandits will be eliminated as soon as possible! If you do not... if you

ignore me, I swear that not only shall I not travel through these lands again, but that I shall foreclose on every

farmhold I hold a debt for! I swear I shall!

Major Domo:
Hmm...as I said, he cannot be easily ignored. many will be upset if their farms are foreclosed, and the bandits will

have to be dealt with sooner or later. We do not have the strength yet to face them; our patrols simply have too few

men. Obviously the bandits have noticed. We would need mercenaries, my Lady. I know a few reliable mercenary

companies we could acquire for 500 gold. That would handle this problem. Mm...we could go as low as 250, but that

would take longer.

Tolmas Bendelia:
Enough of this chatter! I demand an answer! Will I have my restitution or not?!

Le:
I will not recompense you. But nor will I have my people threatened. I will purchase the farmholds' debts from you.

Tolmas Bendelia:
Well...if that is what you wish to do, I suppose I might be convinced. But their debts are worth around a thousand

gold... the same as was the worth of my caravan. So it makes little difference.

Le:
It makes a difference to me. I will pay you the thousand gold.

Tolmas Bendelia:
You are very generous, my Lady... you know the value of business to your land, I see. And as for the bandits? What

is to be done of them?

Le:
I intend to spend five hundred gold to hire mercenaries. They will be driven from my land quickly.

Tolmas Bendelia:
Good enough, then. Perhaps I shall return through this area and continue supplying the locals with goods. So long as

you keep your promises, my Lady.

Day 6. Close to midnight.

That merchant really doesn't know how to count. I wonder how people like him come into money. Obviously not thanks

to their business sense.

Ah, no matter, I could've bought him three times over. Whatever makes "my peoples" happy I will provide.

Walsingham said:

And a bonus as usual.

33.jpg

Amnish Soldier:

...accuse everyone. You! Have you seen anything suspicious or unnatural lately?

Le: 

Other than your two friends here? No.

Amnish Soldier:

You are not under investigation at the moment, so there is no cause for an attitude? It is a simple question, and I would appreciate an answer.

Le:

i'm not sure what you mean. What are you looking for?

Amnish Soldier:

There have been reports of fighting in the streets at night. Sometimes to do with the supposed Shadow Thief guild and rival. If you do see something, just keep your distance. I've already had uninvolved people go missing and I don't need any more. Keep out of the streets at night, citizens. All the decent fold are asleep at those hours anyway.

Walsingham said:

46.jpg
Dermin Courtierdale:
Yes, yes, but the lessons?

Jaheira:
What...what are you getting at, Dermin?

Dermin Courtierdale:
I am not here to rehash our friendship, Jaheira... I have been sent to kill you, or otherwise seek your downfall,

and I do not relish the duty.

Jaheira:
I see. And what power has decided that I should be killed? I server nature and protect the good of the land through

my work as a Harper. Who have I offended?

Dermin Courtierdale:
Who...? Jaheira, you travel with a killer of Harpers, I do not wish to think you had any complicity in those acts,

but here she is and she is still alive.

Jaheira:
I have washed my hads of the incident in the Harper Hold. Galvarey was in the wrong and brought his fate upon

himself.

Dermin Courtierdale:
We know nothing of this. There is only the fact that you...you and your friend were the cause of many deaths. This

cannot be ignored.

Jaheira:
He was in the wrong! Of that I am certain! Galvarey sought to imprison Le for his own gain and I took the side of

right. I could do no other!

Dermin Courtierdale:
It is not seen that way, Jaheira. Exact the necessary justice. That is the only route to redemption for you. The

others... will not accept you otherwise.

Jaheira:
This is wrong, Dermin. This is not the right solution.

Dermin Courtierdale:
I cannot see this ending otherwise, Jaheira. Your own have died. What do you intend to do about it?

Jaheira:
Dermin...I... Dermin, I cannot do as you ask. You are in the wrong, as was Galvarey. I was right to choose Le's

side, and it is your loss if you cannot see this.

Dermin Courtierdale:
Consider carefully what you are saying, child. You have a duty to justice.

Jaheira:
This is not justice. This is revenge for a lie, a falsehood that none seem bothered to find the truth behind. If

this is Harper justice then I...

Dermin Courtierdale:
What are you saying, Jaheira?

Jaheira:
If this is Harper justice then I...I renounce you. I renounce...I renounce my life as a Harper.

Dermin Courtierdale:
Jaheira, you cannot mean...Think this through.

Jaheira:
It would seem I am the only one that has thought any of this through. You do not, Galvarey did not, and now the

Harpers out for blood do not. I mourn many fellows of the Harp, but they died fighting for balance and truth.

Galvarey did not, and this matter cheapens their loss. I will not be party to it.

Dermin Courtierdale:
So be it then. I will take your words to those that will listen. Do not expect your life to be peaceful with this

choice.

Jaheira:
It shall not be peaceful, but it is clearer than the course you are on. Goodbye, Dermin.

Le:
You have a place here, Jaheira, regardless of this mess.

Jaheira:
I thank you, Le, but part of me is gone. I...I will speak no more of this. This is behind me. I must go forward.

Come, we have friends to avenge.

Day 7. Morning.

Jaheira really surprised me today. I guess her sense of justice is stronger than her loyalty to the Harpers' cause.

Ironically, it was this same sense that made her join the Harpers in the first place. And now I'll have to murder a

bunch of Harpers just because they're so stubborn and can't leave me alone. What a waste of my time... At least I

will keep myself and this jolly bunch following me well trained.

Anyway, now we have to go track down a sculptor for the Helmites. I hope it will be beneficial to me, I don't like

to be their errand girl. They offerred money, but I have enough of that stuff in my coffers as it is. I'm thinking

more along the lines of getting help from them when I need it...

34.jpg
Sir Sarles:
You are told? Have you not checked? Gathering the materials is not the job of a fine artist such as myself. Go speak

with an ore merchant or somesuch. I recall the name of one that was referred to me on my last visit. Jerlia was her

name, I believe. Speak with her. She has exotics occasionally. Try the promenade. Now go! I will work for whatever

church acquires the necessary materials! If not yours, then another! 200 pounds of illithium or I go back to

enjoying my holiday!

38.jpg
Jerlia the Ore Merchant:
You don't know what is involved in getting illithium. i've an agreement with a rather spoecial source, but there's

only so much I'm allowed to take. 50 pounds a season at most.

Edwin:
So this is a fruitless enterprise then? He has sent us on a merry little chase.

Jerlia the Ore Merchant:
Hold on. It's difficult, but not impossible. There are two options to you. You can go to my source and try and ply

the extra out of him, or you can use a... substitute.

Edwin:
You mean a cheaper metal as a replacement? Won't Sarles know?

Jerlia the Ore Merchant:
For all his pomp and balderdash, Sir Sarles wouldn't know quality materials if you beat him over the head with them.

Now that's a fine image, eh?

Keldorn:
I do not like the sound of this. It has a distinct ring of dishonesty about it. No matter how rude the artist may

have been, we should be honest with him, don't you think?

Anomen:
It is dishonest, but no less than the cretin deserves for the demands he places upon the church. Sir Sarles could

use his pride pricked, I say.

Jerlia the Ore Merchant:
Enough of that. Anyway, I would wager that a derivative of illithium would serve just as well. Pure illithium is

quite rare, but an alloy could be fashioned at a reasonable rate.

Le:
Perhaps I should just talk to your source about the real thing. He may help.

Jerlia the Ore Merchant:
He may at that, but I will require compensation for revealing him to you. If word got out who and where my source

was, I would be out of business. make it worth my while.

Keldorn:
If this could ruin you, we should offer no less than 1000 gold.

Jerlia the Ore Merchant:
His name is Unger Hilldark. Don't get him mad, will you? He's at enough of a risk just coming here. He's... he's

Duergar.

Anomen:
Duergar? Where does a dwarf of such evil nature find sanctuary in Amn?

Jerlia the Ore Merchant:
At the Copper Coronet, of course. It hides worse than him within. besides, they have to eat too, you know. Nothing

wrong with a mutually beneficial trading agreement. He's in disguise. His kind doesn't look all that different, and

as long as he's left alone, he's fine. Not a bad guy, once you get to know him. You go talk to him. Tell him I sent

you. Maybe he'll let you pull a little more illithium out of him than I can get. It won't be cheap though.

Edwin:
Perhaps we should try to get that substitute you mentioned as well.

Jerlia the Ore Merchant:
I will require some measure of coin for the service. Tell you what I'll do. I'll get 200 pounds of the alloy

together and you can pick it up tomorrow.

39.jpg
Unger Hilldark:
It doesn't matter, fool. I don't HAVE any illithium. It's taht simple. My source is inaccessible, and you aren't

getting any. Get angry if you wish, but it won't help.

Le:
You sound like this was not a planned shortage. What is the problem?

Unger Hilldark:
Oh, so now you wish to be my friend? Why should I bother with you at all?

Le:
You can't fix your problem or you would have illithium. What else can you do?

Unger Hilldark:

Nothing. Very few opportunities for mercantile trade in this place when you are even a hill or mountain dwarf.

Alright, fool, you wish to share my problem, I'll give it to you. You want illithium, you can wait for it. We mine

it deep in the earth, and it's dangerous going. It's rare enough when production is normal. This is all useless

information though, because my latest shipment was stolen from under me! So there's no illithium for anyone for

another season or more!

Le:
I'll exact justice for you. I'll take the illithium I need and leave the bandit dead.

Unger Hilldark:
You want to go chasing after him, that's your business. It's lost to me anyway. I show my face and he'll have the

guards on me just for being duergar. Typical of this city. I'm just a poor businessman, but I'll be jailed just for

my shadowed face. This bastard that robbed me looks like a hill dwarf, so he's welcomed with open arms. They

wouldn't guess at what a fiend he is. After I hired him, I found out what he had done. I suppose that's why he

cheated me and took off.

Le:
Don't you worry. Just point me in the right direction.

Unger Hilldark:
Yes, well, you can go after him if you like. last I heard he was holed up in the Bridge district. A derelict little

place bought with my gold... here, I'll even mark it on your map, there. He won't be moving much. he was on the run

from baldur's Gate when I met him. Oh, I suppose you'll want his name as well. The name was Neb. He left a few

families crying, or so I hear. Tell his corpse that Unger Hilldark sent you.

Day 7. Noon.

These fools sometimes amaze me. This duergar has money, he knows where the thief lives exactly. He could've hired a

couple of thugs right in the Cop and get them to beat the living crap out of that dwarf. So why doesn't he? There's

something else to this.

Jaheira keeps saying the name "Neb" sounds familiar. She had an encounter with him in Baldur's Gate. We'll just make

our way to Bridge district and ask around. And go from there. One step at a time.

41.jpg

Walsingham said:

next time I'll finish with this quest and show something a bit more exciting.

anyway, bonus time:

BGMain_2014_07_05_19_44_59_964.jpg

Beggar:

Hm. Well, that'll pay off part of your debt. I'll take this as a down payment.

Walsingham said:

no update today, I'm busy navigating Firkraag's maze. but, I have a few tips:

Watcher's Keep isn't all a high level dungeon. you can get a few +4 weapons in there fairly easily.

s short sword +4 and a crossbow +4 that fires +2 fire arrows (that never run out) can be just bought from one of the helmites standing at the entrance. 

first level of the dungeon has weak mobs, two golems you can entirely avoid (or kill one by one if you get the ward stones), a bunch of statues with a Wakizashi +4, a bastard sword +3/+6 vs. demons and a whole lot of useful loot. the only problem you'll run into: it also has two Vampiric Wraiths, they are hasted and have very high THAC0, so get a bunch of protective spells going before opening the doors to the main chamber, they also drain levels. I was able to kill them with Jaheira tanking under Stoneskin and Negative Plane Protection with AC -9, but they would still hit her fairly often, so make sure your heavy hitters have high THAC0 (my DDs - main char, Keldorn and Jan - all have it at 3)

it's very well worth it to go down to the Keep and get all that loot and XP (you get close to 70000 xp for finishing the first level), as long as you can get rid of those two mists the rest shouldn't pose a problem

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

welp, sounds like my power source unit is about to blow up, so until I take it to the shop for them to figure out what's wrong with it there will be no updates :(

Walsingham said: