Yeah, I'm all for the ability to sometimes cheat a merchant, or even kill him, etc. But, a choice between "slay these tough guards and get it all for free" or "just pay for things" isn't really that significant of a choice.

If it can't be done in a significant manner, I'd honestly rather just have unkillable merchants. Or, I wouldn't mind killable merchants who can't simply be looted for everything they sell (on their persons), who then get replaced with other merchants (not 1:1... just, you couldn't ever simply slay ALL the merchants and just be merchant-less, because new merchants would show up.). etc.

If you're going to get free stuff from a merchant, I'd much rather it be a lot of effort in scamming him, and/or finding out where he keeps stuff and the combination to that chest, etc. Not "I'm so good at combat that I get everything for free, beetchezzzzz!"

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I'll just add that whenever I play a thieving rogue in any rpg (and that mostly means one of the hundred NWN or NWN2 modules I've played),

it feels really rewarding if there's something around there somewhere I can steal. Respectively, if I play rogue and none of the homes in game

can be entered and none of the  shops can be looted, I feel a bit cheated.

Its basically the same as playing with a bard, and there never is a situation where you can actually play music or entertain.

Yeah, it's an MMORPG era, I'm not actually playing a rogue, I'm playing DPS.

I'm not playing a bard, I'm playing a walking buff.

Arcanum was pretty great about this. You could pool your points into thieving skills early on and completely loot the inventory of the first village shop.

But then you needed all that extra stuff because you hadn't put the points in fighting abilities.

Of course, when the same shopkeeper happily buys back his inventory without suspecting a thing, something breaks.

And the balance of the game was all broken anyway. But I didn't mind, I don't really care about the balance much anyway.

• Like 1

Why having a killable merchant makes it so irresistible to whack the poor guy? I don't think I ever killed a merchant. What's the fun?

I don't think ramping up a shop's defense means anything as long as abusing save/load is on the table. I do have distaste about the unkillable characters, either. It's not like I ever bothered to kill a kid back when they were mortal in fallout 2.

An excellent way to protect a shopkeep is to integrate the guy into the environment. Take, for example, New Reno: killing Jagged Jimmy J would cost you an extremely valuable informer on the streets. And why would you ever kill Renesco, with his connections to half the families in the city? The guy deserved a good beating, I have to give it to him, but blackmailing him into giving up half of his crap was so much sweeter. On the contrary, when T-ray steals your car, you have no qualms about ending the dude. Why? Because nobody in the city will mourn him.

• Like 1

Why having a killable merchant makes it so irresistible to whack the poor guy? I don't think I ever killed a merchant. What's the fun?

I don't think ramping up a shop's defense means anything as long as abusing save/load is on the table. I do have distaste about the unkillable characters, either. It's not like I ever bothered to kill a kid back when they were mortal in fallout 2.

An excellent way to protect a shopkeep is to integrate the guy into the environment. Take, for example, New Reno: killing Jagged Jimmy J would cost you an extremely valuable informer on the streets. And why would you ever kill Renesco, with his connections to half the families in the city? The guy deserved a good beating, I have to give it to him, but blackmailing him into giving up half of his crap was so much sweeter. On the contrary, when T-ray steals your car, you have no qualms about ending the dude. Why? Because nobody in the city will mourn him.

Well if I recall correctly I mourned him when I learned that he can pimp my car :)

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"