All Cut Scenes No Audio! Any Fixes?

ekajduncan

Question

13 answers to this question

I am having a similar problem on the PS3 version; there is absolutely no sound; during cutscenes, during the opening, while on the map, while navigating the main menu.

Even the company logos while the game loads have no sound (which I'm not sure if they are supposed to, but usually the company logos during initial start up do have sound).

I have tried deleting the patch today and reinstalling it; that did not resolve the issue.

I have confirmed my PS3 has sound both at the XMB (matter of fact, when over the disc for South Park the Stick of Truth, I get sound) and that the PS3 is getting sound for other games.

It is only once I launch South Park that the system loses all sound.

Please advise a work around if one exists; otherwise, I look forward to this being patched. I am excited to play the game, but it is extremely discouraging to have such a bug right away.

Thank you.

From another thread:

If you're using Windows 7, left click on sound mixer (next to "time"), then "Mixer" then under "Device" set to Digital Sound Interface instead of whatever else is set (mine is "Speakers..."). You can also set this in Control Pannel. You just need to switch the sound "thing" to Digital Sound Inteface. I don't know why, but it works for me!

https://twitter.com/IridiumGameDev

Ex-Obsidian Senior Programmer

I have the same problem on PC. The audio on voices is almost silent, while the music and sound effects are normal. And it's only in cutscenes, characters the world sound fine, but once a cutscene starts there's no voices.

I have also tried that sound mixer thing and it didn't work for me.

It turns out I have fixed it (and potentially found the problem).

I use a 5.1 speaker system, the problem I found was that voices in cutscenes only play out of the middle speaker, which is the softest speaker, and the music/sound effects, play out of the side speakers, the loudest ones. I have a button on my setup that fakes stereo sound (funnels all sound to come out of the 2 front side speakers). This button didn't work for me.

But what I did do was go into my audio settings and change my speakers default to stereo (windows 7, control panel -> sound -> right click speakers or what ever you use -> configure speakers -> stereo), and now voices work fine. Sucks that I have to lose surround sound though.

Hope this helps!

I am having a similar problem on the PS3 version; there is absolutely no sound; during cutscenes, during the opening, while on the map, while navigating the main menu.

Even the company logos while the game loads have no sound (which I'm not sure if they are supposed to, but usually the company logos during initial start up do have sound).

I have tried deleting the patch today and reinstalling it; that did not resolve the issue.

I have confirmed my PS3 has sound both at the XMB (matter of fact, when over the disc for South Park the Stick of Truth, I get sound) and that the PS3 is getting sound for other games.

Please advise a work around if one exists; otherwise, I look forward to this being patched. I am excited to play the game, but it is extremely discouraging to have such a bug right away.

Thank you.

I'm really sorry you're having this issue OsCBinary. If you could provide me with some information, I may be able to come up with a solution for you.

What is your current speaker setup? TV speakers (stereo)? 2.1? 5.1? 7.1?

Also your sound settings on PS3 would be amazing. 

In XMB -> Scroll to Settings -> select Sound Settings 

Which output device are you currently using? HDMI? Optical Device? AV Multi? 

If using HDMI for audio output, did you use automatic or manual? If you selected manual for your original setup, please let me know what boxes are checked. If automatic, please let me know what shows up in Output Format.

If you are using 2.1 or TV speakers, I'd recommend trying to click manual and checking only Linear PCM 2 CH boxes (I have Linear PCM 2 Ch 44.1 kHz and Linear PCM 2 Ch 48 KHz checked for my stereo setup at the moment).  

https://twitter.com/IridiumGameDev

Ex-Obsidian Senior Programmer

Thank you.

I'm really sorry you're having this issue OsCBinary. If you could provide me with some information, I may be able to come up with a solution for you.

If using HDMI for audio output, did you use automatic or manual? If you selected manual for your original setup, please let me know what boxes are checked. If automatic, please let me know what shows up in Output Format.

If you are using 2.1 or TV speakers, I'd recommend trying to click manual and checking only Linear PCM 2 CH boxes (I have Linear PCM 2 Ch 44.1 kHz and Linear PCM 2 Ch 48 KHz checked for my stereo setup at the moment).  

Thank you for the response; I did try messing with the audio settings yesterday to try to resolve the issue; but I am afraid I am not an expert on those settings, so I may have overlooked something.

My current Setup:

1. PS3 uses HDMI to connect to a VISIO TV (do not have the model since I am at work, if it would be helpful, I can provide it this evening). The TV's audio output (Red and White Cable, can't remember what it is called) is fed to my receiver for an old 5.1 Sony Surround Sound system. I currently only have the 2 front and the Center speaker connected to the receiver. The Receiver is set for Dolby Digital 5.1 in it's settings, but is aware of the 3 speaker setup and handles the sound appropriately for other games/movies.

2. PS3 Sound Settings were automatic originally (with no sound for game); however, I did switch to manual while trying to get sound for the game. When I switched to manual all boxes but AAC (or ACC, or something like that) were checked; sound did not work. I then checked that box, sound still did not work. Currently I can't remember if I switched back to Automatic, or left it at manual.

I will provide the Automatic/Manual settings when I get home this evening.

Thank you for looking into this.

Edit - I will try your settings suggestion first when I get home. Perhaps that will work. Thanks again!

Edited by OsCBinary

Thank you.

Thank you very much!

Switching to manual and only those 2 Linear options fixed the issue!

Once again, thank you!

I have the same problem on PC. The audio on voices is almost silent, while the music and sound effects are normal. And it's only in cutscenes, characters the world sound fine, but once a cutscene starts there's no voices.

I have also tried that sound mixer thing and it didn't work for me.

I am having the same issue as this guy, and changed everything to stereo *it was defaulted* and still no sound. Just bought the game on steam and kinda mad that it doesn't work the way it should. Any other ideas other than changing it the speakers to stereo?