Suggestion for dungeon detail: Underground Garden / Alt Dimensions

Well, the suggestion names leads to a bunch of creative thinking of the possibilities for interpretation of the two elements:

Underground Gardens

Dimensions Warps

There could be a couple of levels inhabited by thick prevalent moss and unique dim-light flowers of attractive sorts. There could also be really deep floors that effectively do not take place in that area of the Earth, but warp the player to a different dimension entirely, that could even not take place underground, but could take place on some alien surface. In fact, there could be entry there to a significant portion of the game, taking place on the surface of that alien location - which, somewhere, holds another re-entry to move on to the subsequent lower floor of the dungeon.

I expect that the 13 level mega dungeon might become trying after several levels (although your artwork showing the progressing nature of the levels suggests some growth). Some totally unexpected themes, such as that above, would really shake potential monotony and re-alert the player when they're most likely to be in a mental lull.

• Like 1

Execution beats originality. We have a saying in the Netherlands "Beter goed gejat dan slecht bedacht" or "Better stolen well than poorly thought of"

Besides, there are very few truly original ideas, it's not really possible, since we need input to get output, even if we're creative.

I like many in the list Aluminiumtrioxid linked, as well as Underground gardens. It's important that every level fits to a theme, and that everything in it is in support, or in contrast with that theme.

here's my suggestion

A crater (stark walls, feels underground but open to the air) in which the crater itself is a Large garden/maze of plants and trees, colourful, different styles, plants work as traps with entanglement, poison, hallucinations, and cover for hostile animals, with in the centre a Japanese architecture palace with the way out inside.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.