inspiration for the Orlan Detective concept art

So, is it known who drew the concept art for the Orlan Detective? It bears a remarkable similarity to a piece of art I saw in Kenzer & Co's HackJournal #7 recently... and whose attribution I can't decipher (initials read WR III?). For what it's worth, that piece of art is over 10 years old.

S2ySUMi.jpg

I think they look pretty similar, but different enough that it's very possibly coincidence.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Interesting.

I see a similarity in the pose, proportions, ears, hair, face, and clothing. It's probably just a coincidence, and my over-active sense of imagination.

I think he was being sarcastic. It's very possible that was the inspiration for the design.

Good catch. Someone ping Kaz to ask if he did actually see that, or if it's just coincidence. There are similarities for sure but also pretty major differences so it could be either. How many ways are there to make a full-body portrait of a cat-eared midget looking severe and investigative anyway?

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

the ears remind me of a few images that were posted on a thread here a while back http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/62262-orlan-aumaua/?hl=aumaua . the clothes are different (one is dressed as ageneral in what look like star wars uniforms, and the other is wearing a scottish kilt) as are their occupations (police officer vs general). I thinkt the poses are slightly different too. They both have one hand moving towards their head, but one is adjusting glasses, the other is touching his scalp. one looks like a goblin and is likely not very furry. The other is furry.

Edited by Hormalakh

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

Wait... you're telling me that Kaz and the P:E dev team didn't invent the idea of short, humanoid people with longer ears, as well as the dignified, serious standing pose? Well now I'm upset... T_T

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Wait... you're telling me that Kaz and the P:E dev team didn't invent the idea of short, humanoid people with longer ears, as well as the dignified, serious standing pose? Well now I'm upset... T_T

It's a question, not an accusation. Inspiration is a natural part of the creative process. I was just curious if I had stumbled upon the inspiration for that image. I hope Kaz chimes in.

It's a question, not an accusation. Inspiration is a natural part of the creative process. I was just curious if I had stumbled upon the inspiration for that image. I hope Kaz chimes in.

I was only being silly. I meant no harm. 8P

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u