The Obsidian Cup

melkathi

Should be free.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

And lost again!

I blame Cyanide.

I used my apothecary and when I selected "badly hurt" instead of "broken neck" it didnt select it, breaking my witch elf's neck instead. :/

Not happy.

But the match was good. Very tense. Serrano only scored on the very last turn when I had 1 injured and 6 KOed players and my last attempt at blitzin his ball-carried resulted in my blitzer failing the dodge roll to get to him and getting KOed as well.

With 8 players down on my team there wasn't anyone to stop him.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I shall be working from home today, so will be free to play as an when.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I had a rematch with Walsingham and the dice rolls were fudged in my favour again, I am starting to wonder if it's possible that this is a bug? Things went much like last time with my team slowly marching up field and Wals putting up a rolling defence during the first half, picking at my players. I managed to score a goal but not before Wals KO'd a mummy who would be out for the entire match. For the second half Wals was much more aggressive and after he broke through my line I was lucky enough to just about intercept the ball-carrier early in the second half and maneuver some attackers in such a way that I pushed the carrier off the pitch by pushing his cage into him at an angle that forced him over the edge.  After that close call (very close, he was one turn away from being beyond the range of my defenders) I didn't want to take any chances so once I retrieved the ball I huddled everyone around it's carrier as close to centre field as I could get and spent what was left of the match re-enacting the battle from Zulu.

The dice rolls were ridiculous the entire match though. Almost every block from both teams went my way. The entire match. Not exactly sporting as I'm not sure how a player is supposed to win when they're consistently rolling push or both down.

Anyway that's the report. Despite the favourable handicap I do think my caging is getting better and I'm learning how to use the different player types more effectively. I'm pretty sure Wals and Melkathi are going to start building mummy killers now though and that's probably one of the nuances of Khemri, that four mummies make for a strong start but once teams start coming out with counter-skills like dauntless and mighty blow then I'm going to have to have to change my approach and I'm at a bit of a loss right now as to what else Khemri can do. I still haven't played Hurlshot either,  he's also playing a very bashy undead team so that match-up will be interesting.   

Edited by Serrano
  • Like 1

During a particularly heated moment (shortly after losing a three dice up bash) I called Serrano a "sandlocked mud****er" which in retrospect sounds awfully racist.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

You know my position Wals.

I feel sorry for Serrano. Those die rolls are unbloodbowly lucky. A true game of Blood Bowl involves cussing at failed die rolls, wanting to throttle someone because the players have been unable to pick up the ball three turns in a row etc. Serrano does not get that, making for a very unauthentic experience.

Serrano, I am sorry you have been cheated out of the true Blood Bowl experience :)

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I will say that I've seen high elf teams fumble the ball occasionally. I've not seen Serro do it even once! :)

As soon as I can level up some mummy killers I'm coming back for him. I won't be happy until I've crippled at least two.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

I am good to go until 2145 GMT.

-Elwood Blues

I've been trying out a khemri team.

They just can't pick up or throw the ball. Sure they have a strong cage, but they have to hold the ball to get it moving!

Serrano has much mojo.

-Elwood Blues

You have to pick it up with a Throw-Ra, they get a free reroll (due to 'sure hands', which also makes them immune to 'strip ball') on a failed pickup in addition to the team reroll. And although I often break this rule, it's probably wise to keep the second Throw-Ra nearby when moving the ball forward as well because I wouldn't trust the rest of the team to pick the ball up even over several turns. I think, haven't really tried this yet but I *think* Throw-Ra can be trusted to competently hand-off the ball as well because they have the 'pass' skill, but that may just apply to throws. And while Throw-Ra can throw the ball, I don't think any of the players start off with the agility or the skills needed to actually catch the ball so I've only tried that once and I think for Khemri it's more about moving the ball somewhere down-field in a hurry and picking it up later rather than a typical passing game (But still throw the ball at a player because I'm pretty sure the 'pass' skill only gives you the free reroll if you're throwing it at someone. 

Edited by Serrano

Just played Melkathi and won! 1-0

Tight game. Lost one player, tried earnestly to kill his others. Great handoff then short pass out of a ruck nearly got me a second TD.

In the last couple of turns the Sonatine crowd could be heard taunting the dark elves by singing:

You're not praising!

You're not praising!

You're not praising any more!

Yoooooou're not praising Khaine any more!

-Elwood Blues

The crowd went wild over the match of the western continent, as Dark Elves met Amazons on the pitch.

After some arguments with the referee (game bugged out and removed one of my players during setup to reappear them at the start but near my endzone), the Amazons kicked off. The Dark Elves made a push down the left field. A prolongued melee had a handfull of dark elf players reach the Amazon endzone. A touchdown seemed inevitable. But the Amazons managed to sprint back, putting up a defense that looked more like a lioness defending her cubs than an athlete the end zone. Before the elves managed to retaliate, the referee blew his whistle.

The second half again began with an argument between Dark Elves and the ref (one of my players changed position at kick off... seriously the bugs I am getting lately). Seeing murder in their eyes, the ref allowed the Dark Elves to adapt their defence. It didn't take long and one amazon player managed to slip through the dark elven line. She had a clear run to the end zone. While one elven defender did catch up with her, the nimble amazon effortlessly slipped out of his reach and scored the 1-0.

The dark elven counter attack was vicious and for a moment it looked as if they would manage to at least get the draw. But again, the amazons were too nimble and once they grabbed hold of the ball managed to keep it out of their opponent's reach.

In the end the Amazons carried off a close victory but also part of their team on stretchers.

• Like 1

Two more hugely fun matches today.

My girls took on Serrano's khemri once AGAIN and sure enough his terrifying tomb-luck held. (in conjunction with flawless tactical nous). A 1-1 draw was capped by a final unexpected _skeleton_ dashing to a TD. The Sonatine amazons spent the match cash on  TWO bribes and fouled like crazed animals, desperately trying to put some of the Khemri tomb guardians back underground. In the end it was one of my catchers who broke her hip and is permanently slower.

New crowd chant:

Why

Won't

You

Funting

DIE????

Match rating - - 17/20

~

Second game of the evening was versus Melkathi's Dark Elves, and this was just a superb game. It had everything. Cages, dashes, fouling, stabbing, long passes, permanent injuries, and some hot witch elf on amazon action.

The result was 3-1, due to Sonatine capitalising on the Dark Elves' bad luck with a little judicious mighty blow. Two TDs in the first half, and a 3rd by turn 14.

A relaxed Sonatine defence let their guard too low, as one of the slippery bastards dove into a forest of oily legs and passed directly to another marked player who broke free and dashed to score a last second touchdown.

Match rating was 19/20.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

The Dead Scorpions vs Silent Sonatine, Round 3. 

Well, this was a good one. The game begins with Silent Sonatine winning the coin toss and choosing to receive the ball. The Scorpions field a new tactic and put three sacrificial skeleton linemen on the scrimmage line in order to have all four mummies be better able to relocate if needed. The Sonatine go with a strong line of offence with two receivers back-of-field to receive an opening long kick. The first kick-off event involves rocks being hurled at a Sonatine linewoman, spurred on by the newly recruited Khemri cheerleaders. Undeterred, the Amazons hit the ground running and open with a terrific long pass down the left side of the pitch while the majority of the team clobber the redshirts the Scorpions had chosen to guard the centre. Turn 1 and the Amazons have inflicted their first injury, though thankfully for the skeleton, the wound regenerates before he'd even even been carried off the pitch. An unfortunate Amazon is sent off in turn 2 by an unscrupulous referee who reneged on his bribe, causing the Sonatine to play a woman down for the rest the game. For the Scoprions turn 2 and 3 were dominated by the Tomb Guardians holding down the flanks but not quite managing to lay hands on the ball carrier, a wiley lineman dd however and managed to knock the ball free even if not a such a way as it could be recovered. Turn 4, a Sonatine thrower reclaims the ball and a second Khemri lineman is carried off on a stretcher, injuries regenerating as he goes. The Amazons begin to slowly make ground on the left side and the Scorpions begin to pull players from mid-field to reinforce the vulnerable area. On turn 5 the Sonantine ball carrier suddenly breaks to the right and suppored by two other players pushes into the middle. The Khemri try to react, a Guardian badly injuring one of the linewomen in order to free up some support from left side but a both down result means that the turn is wasted, bad news for the painfully slow undead team as Sonatine sprint forward with the ball on turn 6, made worse as the team's most experienced Blitz-Ra has his hip smashed permanently. With things looking increasingly dire, those Scorpions still able to move freely dash back towards their endzone hoping to cut off the Sonatine advance. A Guardian manages to get within a hair's breadth of the ball carrier but is unable to blitz. having to hope he can catch her as she tries to dodge past.  Turn 7, another skeleton in midfield down but no permanent damage, a disastrous block by Sonatine defending the ball carrier gives the Khemri the opening they need to intercept. The Guardian blocks and down goes the carrier, a Throw-Ra standing alongside ready to pick it up the next turn. Unfortunately, the Amazons have the same idea and a Catcher deftly evades the Guardian's swings, swoops in, scoops up the ball and scores. Bugger.    

The second half opens with both teams two players down, each fielding a team of ten now as opposed to the usual eleven. The Khemri are in trouble, they do have the advantage of receiving the ball this time but they move so slowly that they basically have to advance at a steady pace or risk not being able to reach the end zone later when an opening presents itself. The Amazons only need to stall for time rather than take any risks. The Khemri now need to move out of their comfort zone, they need to move quickly. Bugger.  The Scorpions decide to ignore the sides completely, five skeletons on the scrimmage line and four Tomb Guardian mummies spread out deep into their own half to support the Throw-Ra. The ball lands expectedly deep into their half but mercifully scatters near the Throw-Ra for an ideal pickup. The Guardians move in to form a protective barrier and the linemen, tired of being spectators in the sport take up a key strategic role since the team's creation and begin clearing the way for a Khemri march, one breaking off to the right to slow down any flanking opposition and another moving to help with the cage. Pickup failed. The Sonatines send one of their Mighty Blow blitzers paired with a catcher down the right side of the the field, herding the Khemri cage to the left. The rest the team to surround the Scorpion's linemen in the middle in a clear effort to overwhelm them. Turn 11 and the Khemri cage, still deep into it's own half begin to move forward, right along the edge of the pitch to limit the direction of attack. The Amazons try to take the centre in preparation to form a barrier but the remaining Blitz-Ra manages to withstand six seperate blocks. All remaining Sonatines drop what they were doing and begin to surround the cage moving along the left side of the pitch. Turn 12 and the Scorpions scurry up the pitch asap, the cage has made it to the middle, the central defenders are on their feet (minus one knock out) and the lineman who was defending the right flank is now circling around the back of the Sonatine's centre line waiting for either an opening or a chance to rejoin the cage. Sonatine take one last mash as the centre, knocking out the last Blitz-Ra and prepare to cut off the cage, diverting a linewoman or two to mark the remaining skeleton stragglers. Turn 13 and the cage proceeds 1/3rd of the way into the Sonatine's half but increasingly outnumbered and the noose around it's neck tightening, the free lineman who was assisting middle uses a blitz to knock down his mark and move up along with the cage, but is unable to assist with the mass of Amazons shadowing between them. The other straggler further back now tries to dodge his mark and catch up, predictably fails and frees up to more Amazons to move towards the cage. The Sonatine players begin to attack the cage in earnest now, one Guardian is surrounded and knocked down, another is pushed out of position, jostling a third right to the edge of the pitch ready to be sent over. The fourth Guardian is cut-off from the end zone and marked and the Throw-Ra carrying the ball will soon be easy pickings. Turn 14. "End of match imminent". Every Guardian is locked down, it will take two turns for the Throw-Ra to make it to the end zone and just one turn for the Sonatines to intercept. They have one play left but it's risky. post-18413-0-43844000-1380846378_thumb.jpg

If the Throw-Ra can get the ball to the lineman, it will also take the lineman two turns to reach the end zone, but, he will be able to move far enough away from all the Amazons that they will never be able to catch up to him in time. This is a pretty bad position for Khemri to be in though, safe passing requires agility and skills that none of my players have. First the Guardian has to deal with the thrower blocking the path, that almost fails and I've used my reroll before the attempting the hard part. The Throw-Ra runs through the gap, rolls a 5 and just manages to complete the hand-off, clawing back a draw on turn 15 and concluding an exciting match. 

Edited by Serrano
  • Like 1

*nods*

Players numbers 9 and 7. Put those on the deathlist, Gladys.

-Elwood Blues

I've been experimenting with a goblin team. They are just hilarious.

-Elwood Blues