Renewed unrest in Egypt

Rostere

Well, if there are no charges against him, he should of course be set free. I fear, however, that there are millions of people in Egypt that wish to tear that man to pieces. Will he leave the country now? Or will he find a safe haven somewhere among his military brethren?

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Well, if there's no charges against him, he should of course be set free. I fear, however, that there are millions of people in Egypt that wish to tear that man to pieces. Will he leave the country now? Or will he find a safe haven somewhere among his military brethren?

Well that's the interesting dynamic with him being released, I think you'll find he isn't enemy number 1 anymore. The country is polarised with people either supporting or against the Muslim Brotherhood. And I'll wager Mubarak will align himself with the military government and surprisingly he does have supporters so I think he will be fine, but we need to watch this spot :)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well, if there's no charges against him, he should of course be set free. I fear, however, that there are millions of people in Egypt that wish to tear that man to pieces. Will he leave the country now? Or will he find a safe haven somewhere among his military brethren?

He's being released pending a retrial.  His legal team appealed his first conviction and won the appeal.  The court threw out the first conviction on the grounds that the first court had no judicial standing.  The court did not acquit him of the charges, so the charges from his first trial still stand but he will be retried in a different court.  

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/17/world/meast/egypt-mubarak-retrial

• Like 1

He's being released pending a retrial.  His legal team appealed his first conviction and won the appeal.  The court threw out the first conviction on the grounds that the first court had no judicial standing.  The court did not acquit him of the charges, so the charges from his first trial still stand but he will be retried in a different court.  

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/17/world/meast/egypt-mubarak-retrial

I must say Kgambit you are well informed about Egypt. What's your connection to Egypt, are you Egyptian?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I suspect that the reticence shown by the military was related to two things- firstly they didn't mind democracy, so long as it didn't interfere with their power base either in terms of their independence or economic interests  and secondly they wanted to maintain their military aid despite the inconvenient 'coup' stipulation. Little c conservatism, basically, which is more or less how they're described in the quotes. Once it became clear that Mubarak would be pushing Gamal (who'd never win in a democratic election, neither would his dad either) as his successor he became disposable, and once it became clear that the only way he could keep power was a bloodbath it became inevitable.

They certainly did not initially object to democracy. I, on the other hand, believe that the military's absurdly prioritized place in Egyptian society made it impossible for them to actually coexist with a democracy, unless they gave away all their power willingly. I don't know their own perspective on this, though.

Maybe the military always intended to topple the winning candidate in the elections. I seem to recall a quote where al-Sisi or maybe Tantawi said they were certain that a Brotherhood-supported candidate would win. It's no secret that the military is at odds with the MB. Maybe they thought he would fail catastrophically to restore the economy and write a constitution (which Morsi indeed did), and that their subsequent counter-coup was planned all along.

Or maybe the military only very, very reluctantly accepted democracy (because of pressure from the US and the West) and Morsi's failures were the tipping point where they decided they would be forced to intervene or risk turning Egypt into Iran 2. That seems a rather plausible scenario.

• Like 2

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

As an aside it's interesting how similar the Egyptian military has evolved to be similar to the IRGC. Business links, kingmaking status, smuggling... I wonder if we're witnessing a new kind of creature that should be formally recognised in theories of government?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

1270367620_untitled12.jpg

President Obama’s half-brother in Kenya could cause the White House more headaches over new evidence linking him to the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt and establishing that controversial IRS supervisor Lois Lerner signed his tax-exempt approval letter.

Malik Obama’s oversight of the Muslim Brotherhood’s international investments is one reason for the Obama administration’s support of the Muslim Brotherhood, according to an Egyptian report citing the vice president of the Supreme Constitutional Court of Egypt, Tehani al-Gebali

In a news report on Egyptian television of a Gebali speech, translated by researcher Walid Shoebat, a former Palestinian Liberation Organization operative, Gebali said she would like “to inform the American people that their president’s brother Obama is one of the architects of the major investments of the Muslim Brotherhood.”

Read more at http://mobile.wnd.com/2013/08/obamas-brother-linked-to-muslim-brotherhood/#s6vmm0RO8Jdi21t5.99

You can't pick your brothers.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.