Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Leveling up, stat growth, and power curve.

Accuracy Defenses Health Stamina Level-Advancement Attributes

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5929 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

With classes being balanced in a way where they are all relatively equal, having different XP tables seems to be unneeded.

I really liked how they handled advancement in SR.

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3021 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I would not complain if PE used a system similar to SRR.

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
It is kinda nice to be able to go "Ooh! My mage gained a new level! Let's see how that changes my party dynamic," instead of always just getting this level-up-times-6 boost in your overall effectiveness at very even intervals. However, I'm not entirely sure what all that really means, objectively, as far as the system design is concerned.

Also, even if everyone has the same XP tables, I'm curious to know how the XP allocation will be handled. To reference existing examples, there's the "you get 100XP, so you actually get 100x6 XP, as every individual character in your party gets 100XP (the quest reward value)" approach, and the BG "you get 120 XP, so each character in your party actually only gets 20 XP" approach, and there's even things like individual characters getting bonus XP for specific acts, such as lockpicking, etc. In some games, lockpicking XP (for example) goes to the whole party, while in other games, it only goes to that specific character.

Just details it'd be nice to know. I'm aware we may have to wait a bit for them.

Kjaamor

Kjaamor

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 682 posts

Ah, so your analysis is "you don't like it". Cool. I judge a lot of things the same way.

I disagree that its the same because in the IE games you could die and earn nothing for the encounter. You cant die in PE so presumably everyone will earn the same xp at the same rate. At the end of the game I don't want my mage 2 levels behind my fighter because they have different tables and my mage will never be afforded the opportunity to reach maximum potential. If every class can reach max level by the end of the game then I don't care which system is used. 

Give a slightly sarcastic reply, expect a slightly sarcastic answer. Fair play.

In fairness, I've always assumed that regardless of actual level, classes would all be within one level of power of their fellows. As it was in the (personally beloved) BG days. A level 4 mage can still be more powerful than a level 5 fighter, if that is reflected in the class balance and (subsequently) the levelling system.

Staggered levelling, when done well, spreads the reward of levelling up whilst only mildly changing the party mechanics and keeping all classes within relevant, but also giving periods where some classes shine - slightly - above others. What I was suggesting, as long as it fits with your hope that all classes can attain the same level of competancy, is that the staggered process adds both more decision-making and more fun.

• Lephys likes this

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Staggered levelling, when done well, spreads the reward of levelling up whilst only mildly changing the party mechanics and keeping all classes within relevant, but also giving periods where some classes shine - slightly - above others. What I was suggesting, as long as it fits with your hope that all classes can attain the same level of competancy, is that the staggered process adds both more decision-making and more fun.

That's what immediately came to my mind... If you kind of think of the whole party as one character, you get one new ability/capability-increase at a time, rather than play,play,play,play, SIX NEW ABILITIES!

Granted, I know the party is 6 people and not 1, but the player is still just one person. Gaining "Crippling Shot" allows you to do more/different things in the same combat situations to overcome difficulties, whereas gaining Crippling Shot, Power Slam, Mana Grenade, Shadow Dodge, and Light Chakram all at the same time doesn't really give you the opportunity to make use of one of those ability with the limitations of not being able to also use all the others. You get rather abrupt spikes in party competency. A party of opponents a level above you could go from quite-challenging to quite-easy, rather than going to pretty-evenly-matched.

I'm acknowledging both forms of staggered leveling (individual-character XP gain AND varied leveling thresholds), for the record. I was just thinking of aspects shared between both. 8P

Edited by Lephys, 01 August 2013 - 05:32 PM.

J. Trudel

J. Trudel

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer

For PE, all classes should use the same experience table and the entire party should level at the same instance.

I disagree. I think it adds some variation to the reward system. Part of the things I hated about NWN2 was the way all of your characters levelled up at exactly the same time. I always preferred 'Ooh! Xan has levelled up, how does that change the party mechanic?' as opposed to 'Oh, the entire party has levelled up. Guess the mechanics stay the same but we're a bit more tough.'

Ymmv, but I would be deeply disappointed if all classes levelled up at the same time.

This is a good point, I prefer uniform tables for growth but giving small xp bonus for good character use based on their skill usage could bring some variation. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accuracy, Defenses, Health, Stamina, Level-Advancement, Attributes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users